Parents Competition Hairstyles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our girls are told to have their hair pulled back tight and gelled. It doesnt have to be anything fancy however as a coach I give my parents a sheet of pictures with hair ideas. Here are a couple from that sheet. I have never posted photos so we will see if they work?

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 14,422
  • perfect hair.jpg
    perfect hair.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,890
My dd was a cheerleader last year, sometimes we use her "cheer curls" or "cheer glitz flipz". Matches her hair perfectly and compliments from parents and other coachs, they had no idea they were faux! Glitz flipz has either gold or silver strands running through the long ponytail. In the videos it looks stunning as her hair sparkles but without the mess of glitter spray! We saw some of the judges talking about her hair and smiling, that was a huge surprise.

I dont do hair very well, mine is very curly and dd's is straight/wavy but silky soft and fine. Tough to keep under control without hurting her by pulling hard into braid or a pony tail.:(

When we don't use the hair pieces, it's in 3 segments and secure in a pony tail at the base with the scrunchie to cover the band. We use colored bands to coordinate with her leotard of blues, white and black. Spray and clips keeps the wispies at bay.

Our gym is fairly lax as far as the girls hair goes, as long as it's up and pulled back, they aren't picky. I've seen other gyms where it depends on what level you are, how you wear your hair, a little too rigid for me!:eek:

long hair

I would LOVE to see more pictures. The ones posted are great. My dd is 7 and will be competing for the first time in Nov. The problem - hair down to the middle of her behind. I cannot get it to stay up. May not matter much - she is trying to talk Dad into a shorter cut, but I will take any ideas for very long hair.

gymmomntc2e6 - my dd has the long hair as well... not sure what we would do for comp, but for practice I braid it and pull it through the rubberband and wrap it around. Sometimes one, sometimes 2 :D

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Close up pictures of designs and styles to make the long hair shorter and look pretty too.

Long Hair Options

My dd gets her hair cut every few years and donates it to "Locks of Love", something you can think about for your dd with her haircut. The requirement length is 10" above the ponytail. DD will get her locks cut again in the spring. Her hair is now to the middle of her back, again! Time sure does fly.

If your dd is in girl scouts, she can do it for a level community outreach award...:D

How do you do those twisty rows? I can never get them to work. I usually just divide the front half of Gymabis hair then side part then part it on the diagonal and secure it with rubber bands, that way she gets no wispies. The back part goes in a pony since her hair is not very long. But I would really like to do those twisty rows....

I do rows of colored rubberbands. I would love to see pics from people.

My dd gets her hair cut every few years and donates it to "Locks of Love", something you can think about for your dd with her haircut. The requirement length is 10" above the ponytail. DD will get her locks cut again in the spring. Her hair is now to the middle of her back, again! Time sure does fly.

If your dd is in girl scouts, she can do it for a level community outreach award...:D

my dd did this when she was 5! she was soo proud of doing this!! (I was too!!)
it also did good for her hair as well!!

^^^^

Funny you post that article. The 2nd hairstyles that were featured are the girls from the gym that my dd goes to. We used to do the twisties, which is what they are called and had them done at Silver Scissors, but dd has gotten away from it and goes with what we call the spider web (zero cost!)

The twisties though will last about 1 to 2 weeks depending on how good you take care of them.

*** Edited to add that this article must be a few yrs old now, based on the mom who is given credit and the level that they say her dd is in the article. I would say that the twisties run about $25-$30 now - not $15like stated in the article.

Last edited:
I have seen the silver scissors styles

mentioned there is a flyer you can look through to see what style you want, is that flyer one they give out? Where is silver scissors located? Maybe I can get a copy of it.

Ok, all you expert hairstyling moms, I have a question for you. My daughter is growing out side bangs(her statement on being mature I guess). They are now about 1/4 the length of her other hair. She doesn't compete til Jan., so I assume they'll get longer and we can(and will) get her hair cut a little shorter. What do you do with these things to make a nice neat hairstyle? She will have her hair up in a pony.

mentioned there is a flyer you can look through to see what style you want, is that flyer one they give out? Where is silver scissors located? Maybe I can get a copy of it.

Honestly there isn't a flyer, there are pictures on a wall of all the styles that they do - sort of like a poster. You go in and just pick the style you want.

Silver Scissors is located in NJ.

Ok, all you expert hairstyling moms, I have a question for you. My daughter is growing out side bangs(her statement on being mature I guess). They are now about 1/4 the length of her other hair. She doesn't compete til Jan., so I assume they'll get longer and we can(and will) get her hair cut a little shorter. What do you do with these things to make a nice neat hairstyle? She will have her hair up in a pony.

If you just want smooth clean look, you can gel it until it is pretty wet (I like that spray gel I previously mentioned, because you don't get your hands sticky & there are no white flakes like some gels) - even spray those side bangs, comb with a fine tooth to how you want it - add the pony. You can add the hair clips, but won't need them if you use enough gel. With a low pony, a part on the side looks nice as well.

You can use gel to smooth thoe sides back for any of the other cool hairstyles posted here as well. Sometimes, depending on the hair, It makes it easier to work with.

What I would do with your dds hair

I would get a bone tail comb (like at a beauty supply store) and put twists in. I use rewind or similar gel, take small sections and wrap the hair over the comb, pulling the comb out as you twist. That keeps it tight and is really easy to do.

Thanks for letting me know

Honestly there isn't a flyer, there are pictures on a wall of all the styles that they do - sort of like a poster. You go in and just pick the style you want.

Silver Scissors is located in NJ.

I am trying to find new hair styles for my dd. I am getting bored with what I know. We love the twisted style with the zig zag part. I just cant figure out how to do that.

I would LOVE to see more pictures. The ones posted are great. My dd is 7 and will be competing for the first time in Nov. The problem - hair down to the middle of her behind. I cannot get it to stay up. May not matter much - she is trying to talk Dad into a shorter cut, but I will take any ideas for very long hair.

My oldest girls hair is also down to her waist here's what I do. sorry for the poor quality of pic. I will post another pic soon of another way I fix this hair with fish scales. It's even cuter and easier to do.
Alliestmeet.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back