WAG Competition Leo open back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do they work like regular sports bras? I'm not sure a built in bra would be supportive enough? You can get built in liners but they don't really purport to be bras.

Competition dresses in figure skating often have closures hidden in them (so you don't just step into it and pull it up; there are hooks-and-eyes that need to be fastened), which allows them to fit more tightly around the torso than a leo. It's common to have cups sewn into them (ice dancers often have "falsies" sewn in so they look more endowed than they are!), and between the cups and a closure on the back of the dress or at both shoulders, you can get a tight enough fit that it's supportive. It's also possible to sew an actual bra into a dress as long as the dress is designed for it. At the levels that aren't televised, it's also common for skaters to wear bras with clear plastic straps with a dress that hides the back of the bra, and the straps can be seen under mesh shoulders, but usually when the skaters are on the ice moving, you can't see the straps. Built-in liners work for a skater with small breasts; they also prevent nipples showing because it's cold in ice rinks!

Most skaters, with the exception of those who compete on synchronized skating teams, choose their own individual competition dresses, so skaters choose designs that allow for whatever support they need. However, the cost of a competition dress usually starts around the cost of a competition leo and are often twice as expensive (and can easily be more than that!), and skaters at Intermediate and above (maybe Level 5-6ish?) need two dresses per year (short program and free skate), and custom dresses are hard to resell because they're designed for a specific body skating to a specific piece of music, so they make competition leos look like a bargain!

Competition dresses in figure skating often have closures hidden in them (so you don't just step into it and pull it up; there are hooks-and-eyes that need to be fastened), which allows them to fit more tightly around the torso than a leo. It's common to have cups sewn into them (ice dancers often have "falsies" sewn in so they look more endowed than they are!), and between the cups and a closure on the back of the dress or at both shoulders, you can get a tight enough fit that it's supportive. It's also possible to sew an actual bra into a dress as long as the dress is designed for it. At the levels that aren't televised, it's also common for skaters to wear bras with clear plastic straps with a dress that hides the back of the bra, and the straps can be seen under mesh shoulders, but usually when the skaters are on the ice moving, you can't see the straps. Built-in liners work for a skater with small breasts; they also prevent nipples showing because it's cold in ice rinks!

Most skaters, with the exception of those who compete on synchronized skating teams, choose their own individual competition dresses, so skaters choose designs that allow for whatever support they need. However, the cost of a competition dress usually starts around the cost of a competition leo and are often twice as expensive (and can easily be more than that!), and skaters at Intermediate and above (maybe Level 5-6ish?) need two dresses per year (short program and free skate), and custom dresses are hard to resell because they're designed for a specific body skating to a specific piece of music, so they make competition leos look like a bargain!

Makes more sense. Your description also made me think, I suppose a built in bra in a leo that had separate hook and eye closures inside could perhaps work to give more support than a liner. But with long sleeve leos I'm not sure it could really achieve the same thing as high impact sports bras. I'm not sure though, just having a hard time imagining it.

It is ridiculous that girls have to wear two bras rather than something sensible like a leotard that is actually fit for purpose!
I agree completely. I felt bad for the girl.
Honestly, I think that there should be no deduction for a sportsbra showing as long as it matches either the main color of the leotard OR the color of the band at the neck.
I am glad that the deduction in Xcel is going down to 0.1 for inappropriate attire... and since the deduction is only on 1 event and includes all inappropriate attire, they can even wear shorts over their leotards too if they are already going to take the deduction for their bras ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back