competition leotard prices...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Competition leotards. I love the ones that our gym ordered this year, I really do. Nice choice. However... We paid close to $200 for the dang suckers AND they have a very delicate fabric on the sleeves, which makes them just about unwashable. And they're supposed to last a few years. I'm afraid to even touch the dang thing for fear the sleeve fabric will catch. The optional levels at our gym paid close to $100 more for theirs. Do gym owners think of how much parents are already paying for gymnastics/meet fees/coaching fees/USAG fees/Gas to get to the gym?! I don't want to know how much new warm-ups are going to cost since our leotard price jumped a significant amount from last year. Maybe I'm just a fun hater... LOL! Suppose it's the nature of the sport... I'm wondering where it ends though. Will the price keep on going UP?!

Last edited:
I am very grateful that our HC kept cost in mind when choosing the comp Leo. Since it's a brand-new team everybody needs to buy everything... Leo, warm-ups, bag. All together it came to $197. Still not cheap, especially for those with more than one child on the team, but when I read posts like yours, I realize it could have been much worse.
You fun-hater, you! ;)

hehe! $197 I could DO LOL! That's more like what we paid LAST YEAR! I think I'd be venting less if I thought I could actually make it last a few years... but even with silk kid gloves I don't see it making it through.

Can you find a picture of the Leo? I would love to see it! I have heard of leos that aren't supposed to be washed, which sounds a little yucky to me. I'm sure it's a thing of beauty though.

that sucks our competition leotard last year was like $60 (it was short sleeve and just a transitional leotard while we waited for a new one to be designed) then this year our long sleeve competition leotard was 130 and team training leotard was either $30 or $60 dollars I think $60. Tracks are normally $150 and bag is $60 so all up $340 for one season, 400 for both years but lucky i got my tracksuit half price from an old team mate

As for washing, I am guessing it is mesh on the top? I had a leotard with mesh on the top for a bit and we basically hand washed it in two parts the mesh and the non mesh (they were maroon and white so a little tricky to not wash) in a delicates wash. Also....just a tip to make it last longer is don't hang it with the lighter colour on the bottom. and don't wash the mesh with sharp fingernails or rings on

maybe you can wash it every 2nd comp because really at comp you are not sweating a huge amount and can probably get away with it

AH! 200 dollars! That's more than monthly tuition!

I'm actually quite annoyed with mine- it's gone through 3 users before me, a bit beat up, a slightly different leo then everyone else's (barely noticible but still), it's too big and my parents STILL had to shell out 120$ even though it's super beat up and the wrong size?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but your leo woes reminded me of my leo woes ;)

Ohh... $120 for a beat up leo in the incorrect size?! That would irritate me to NO END! Ours is a bit big, but the gym was somehow able to change 2 other people's orders yet not ours. :( I suppose we might be laughing in the end though, because at least it will still fit next year. I don't want to post a picture of the leotard because our gym has a "no complaining" rule. IE: No complaining on FB, no complaining in the waiting area... ONLY complaining directly to them... and I can say that when they say "no complaining" that it's a pretty broad definition of what they see as "complaining" (that's a vent for another day LOL). I can say that yes, it IS mesh on top, and it looks very similar to the Florida Gators competition leotards. Gymgurl, how long did the mesh last for you? We were told to NOT wash it, to only handwash under the arms and the crotch and to wipe off chalk.

I don't want to post a picture of the leotard because our gym has a "no complaining" rule. IE: No complaining on FB, no complaining in the waiting area... ONLY complaining directly to them... and I can say that when they say "no complaining" that it's a pretty broad definition of what they see as "complaining" (that's a vent for another day LOL). I can say that yes, it IS mesh on top, and it looks very similar to the Florida Gators competition leotards.

A "no complaining" rule! How funny! Wouldn't venting about the "no complaining" rule count as complaining?

A "no complaining" rule! How funny! Wouldn't venting about the "no complaining" rule count as complaining?

yup, think that counts. I think we have a rule breaker on our hands :p

I think it stinks to pay so much for a leotard and then you have to stress about even being able to wash it. I would be complaining too.

We had to purchase new leos and warm ups this year and for both it was $203.00. it kills me since some of these leos look just like a swimsuit.

Oh, ours is mesh too! Mine not lasting obviously, but still. We were told to handwash in cold water, with a very mild detergent and only if desperately needed. Wipe off chalk, don't scrub at the leo.

Our leo is $175 and they keep the same one for 3 years (this is our second)

Our warm ups are $125 and the gym keeps those forever. We just got a new warm up after the same one for 4 years...I bought big the first time and this time, too...they have it on for all of 5 minutes so I figure it doesn't matter that much!

I forget how much the gym bag was....maybe $50? But once they have the bag they can keep that forever.

The gym is good about taking used leos/warm ups and selling them for us so I was able to get $50 for the old warm up...not bad.

I think 3 years is a reasonable amount of time for leos. The girls were excited last year for the new leo. And while I hate to say it, I do think the more expensive leos might look better on the floor. Not sure, but our leo has rhinestones trimming the secondary color and on the sleeves and they do look great on the floor. We've been at competitions where some gyms have very basic leos..no rhinestones...simple color blocking etc and the girls don't stand out as much. So I guess I'm willing to pay for three years of bling as it does seem to make the girls happy.

and btw, my daughter has a good friend who is a figure skater and her competition outfits are at least $500! Plus her skates are about the same, along with blade sharpening every month or so and the cost of new skates is not cheap! So, I figure in that respect, gymnastics is cheaper. Always makes me feel better!

Though I did get our meet bill for the season and for the first year ever, it topped out at just over $1000...I practically fell on the floor for that one (9 meets on the schedule) and this doesnt include hotels...2 are def travel meets and there is always the possibility of a 7:45am check in that is too far to do a morning drive....plus airfare for one travel meet....

This must be why I don't actually ever contemplate the whole thing...and instead take it meet by meet....with a glass of wine in hand as I write the check!!

dd just got one of the mesh leos. The optional team has had it for several years (hc tries not to change leos - only when they are discontinued and I think this one was specially designed so it wont be d/c) I don't think anyone has had any problems with it wearing out. I know several gymnasts have sold them to new gymnasts with no problem. Ours has mesh and ribbon design across most of the front from rib cage up (there is a nude liner underneath) and the sleeves are all mesh with no liner. It cost somewhere between $225-250. the design is similar to this
Image Gallery

Ooh... that IS pretty!

I should have clarified - this is not dd's leo. I just wanted to show the mesh sleeves and mesh front. But yes, this one is very pretty! LOL... i like dd's as well. I sort of feel it's a little risque because it from far away it really looks like all they have is mesh on their chest.

Last year was DD first year on team..and we really got out of the deal pretty lucky. Got used, leo and warm up. This year they decided to have the whole team where the same leo. (last year l2-l4 wore black with pink, l5-l10 wore pink with black). So we had to get a leo again this year. (she had outgrown last years anyway). I lucked out with that and got a used one from one of last years L5s (shes itty bitty). Got it used for 145. (215 new). Thats for the leo, spankies, and hair tie. Everyone had to get new warm ups as they changed the "style" of them this year. That was about 100 bucks. Then I had to go and open my big trap on here and ask what a "showcase" leo was..not only did i get my answer on here, but also at the gym..lol. Luckly its just a tank leo..thats blinged out..so that was just 50. They are keeping the bags from last year..so I didnt have to get one of those.
Last year we had a thread about posting pictures of everyones comp leos. You could post it there..inoccent like..and we all would be able to see it...and still know..and you wouldnt be accused of complaining...lol
My DD is just a L3...and I have dif. noticed that gymnastics has alot of "sticker shock" in its expenses..lol
Maybe I will start a thread here in about a month for people to post pictures of the leos and warm ups.

And this is definitely the "sticker shock" time of year. Going to a big meet in February... got to get that $$ in early, on top of $$ for October meet, plus USAG registration plus comp leo, showcase leo, warm-ups, bag... every time I walk into the gym, we owe money for something. I'm not complaining (even though I don't think we have a rule against it ;) ). It is what it is, and I went into the gym change from YMCA to private gym with my eyes wide open. But I do hope that once we get past all of the start-up costs, it will become a little less intense. Maybe I'll only have to write a check every second time I go into the gym...

I know what you mean about writing checks every time you go to gym. In July, we were paying out for the new team leos, warmups, USAG fee and started paying coach's fees for meet season. Felt like everytime I went in that month, something else was due, LOL! After hearing some prices for other team leos, sounds like we got off fairly easy this year. DD's team will keep the same leos next year and the warm-ups will also be the same next year, so hopefully, she'll be able to keep both (or if she can't keep the leo, I can sell it).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back