WAG Competition Leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am assuming the leotard is a long sleeved one, hence the ripping in the arms. Do you help your DD put on her leotard? A comp leotard takes a special finesse to get on properly. Also, having her wear undergarments might help too. You start at the bottom portion and work your way up. Pulling the bottom on slowly and pulling up like a long pair of socks. Especially working hard in the torso area and chest to make sure you have all the sleeve room possible. Then carefully work one sleeve on from the arm pit down... I am sure you have tried it all, but just in case you havent this really works. We have to do this not because of the fit, but to make sure the crystals don't catch on any part of the super expensive leotard! Good luck

I know dance ≠ gymnastics... But reading some of these stories remind me of when my mom literally had to SEW me into my dance costumes. And after I was done dancing, cut the stitching to pull me out of it.

I never recalled my comp leos being uncomfortably tight...

Reactions: sce
Leotard sizing (I'm a coach) is one of my least favorite things ever - yes, we get sizes from the company but I also stress out over whether or not a kid will grow - we have to size in the early summer to get them in time for season, or if the sizes are stretched out at all. I always have the girls try on multiple sizes.

Yes, a competition leotard should be tighter than a practice leotard, but definitely not so tight that it rips - if she can't move in it then it is the wrong size. I'm sorry that the gym is not being helpful - I would never scratch a kid because her leotard didn't fit, I'd let her wear something that was at least close to the team colors and call it a day.
And... they send bathing suit material leotards for sizers, instead of the mystique fabric that will be used. Mystique is tighter and does not give or stretch like the bathing suit material does--another reason why sizing is stressful.

Careful with the stretching if the leo has mesh sleeves/shoulders. Mesh tends to be weaker than mystique and I'd be worried about the shoulders ripping if cans were added to weigh it down! It can probably still be done, just be cautious with how much weight you add.

Thanks - I do put her in it, because she cannot put it on by herself. I used the door trick for her spirit leo and it working amazingly! I am afraid to wash it now...or do I just dry it that way, always? She has to wear it every week one day. No mesh on comp leo, so I will try that trick again :) THANK YOU!

Thanks - I do put her in it, because she cannot put it on by herself. I used the door trick for her spirit leo and it working amazingly! I am afraid to wash it now...or do I just dry it that way, always? She has to wear it every week one day. No mesh on comp leo, so I will try that trick again :) THANK YOU!
I imagine if you hand wash in cold and hang dry it will not shrink back. Also wearing it weekly will armrest h it. My Dd wore Leo’s that should have been too small but they must have stretched out as she wore them for years and few like 6 inches over those years.

Did my pm go through? Let me knkw. If not i will resend!

I always dry my kids by doing the door trick btw. You can wash it on cold.

To make it through the season, I would both try to borrow a larger leo from a child in an earlier session and try to stretch out your own leotard. For the future, I would look for another gym.

I'm sorry I simply don't trust the manufacturer. Its rather like asking the fox to guard the hen house.

They are in business to sell leos. They really don't want you to get multi years out of them Especially the expensive competition ones. Imagine how much they save by just shorting the leo just a bit.

Had this issue. My kid after 3 plus years moved from a CM to a CL. All CL fit. Then the CL comp leo arrives. Smaller than any CL we own, smaller than "wear stretch". Same size (physically, not label) as her former size smaller barely broken in leos.

I refused to take it.
Company said it was just fine, but they were going to make her a larger size as a "courtesy".

I'm an adult and I get proper fit and I understand how to use a size chart. And its my hard earned money. If your competition fit is different then your stock fit, you need 2 different size charts.

I’m not sure what happened, but we were just given a brand new size medium leotard! I am beyond thrilled she has a perfect fitting leo to compete in this weekend :) they will keep her repaired one for a little one that moves up next year.

Did the gym make this happen or the Leo company?

I’m not sure what happened, but we were just given a brand new size medium leotard! I am beyond thrilled she has a perfect fitting leo to compete in this weekend :) they will keep her repaired one for a little one that moves up next year.
That is awesome! Maybe the leo company made the gym understand that this was not an issue of someone not liking the fit of a comp leo, but in fact it tearing meant it was too small. Now you don't have to stretch an expensive comp leo or worry about it ripping again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back