Parents Competition Readiness (another long post from me)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Daughter had a practice today and, ironically, blew me away with her focus. I think she likes to just prove me wrong about everything I ever say haha. One thing I noticed though is that for the last two weeks, her half of the class has been working on level 3 vault while the other half of the class are working on level 2 vault. (Then again, maybe I just don't get. Sometimes I think the vault for levels 2, 3, and 4 are almost identical). I probably am not paying attention enough.

Today was another great, focused practice. Emma also had the opportunity to show the other owner her back handspring. Between seeing that and seeing her on bars today, she mentioned we might want to consider moving her summer practice to join the group ahead of hers. We share the same concern though: Could Emma MENTALLY handle those practices. They are 2 1/2 hours long as opposed to the 1 1/2 hour she'd be in otherwise. It would also mean moving up to 3 hour practices twice a week in the fall, instead of up to 2 hours twice a week in the fall. (And this will be her first year in school).

We agreed we would start her in the summer practices she is currently signed up for, but leave the possibility of her moving up open. I also talked to daughter about it and she really wants the longer practices (or thinks she does). But if it were up to her, she'd LIVE at the gym. I explained to her that it would be like going to her current class twice in a row, and she insists that would be fine. But she's 5, so I don't think she really understands, but I feel comfortable with playing-it-by-ear. Most of all, I'm glad that her coaches are so in tune with everything, from wanting to provide her a challenge with gymnastics and not let her get bored while at the same time considering her emotional/mental maturity. What's cool is that no matter where she is, they will be working with her to develop her skills, so that her skills can progress even if we decide to take the other aspects of the sport slowly.

if it were up to her, she'd LIVE at the gym.
I certainly know that feeling. In the course of a year and a half we went from one hour a week to 3 hours a week. Rec classes to level 2 team classes and a tumbling class. My Daughter started classes when she was 5 and from day 1 she wanted to be part of the team. I kept her out of it, not for lack of talent (she moved up in the rec classes frome Bronze to Gold within a year) but because of lack of maturity and she is mature for her age. I didn't think she was ready and now I kind of wish I had let her begin at an earlier age. Don't worry about the goofing off, Serenity still does that and she is 9. I think it their way of turning a monotonous task into something they want to do. When it comes time she always works hard and gets what she needs to done.

Don't worry about the goofing off, Serenity still does that and she is 9. I think it their way of turning a monotonous task into something they want to do. When it comes time she always works hard and gets what she needs to done.

Well put! They are there for hours working hard, and they are only kids, I think they need a bit of relief from the seriousness now and then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back