WAG Competition rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gothgymmom

Proud Parent
I was informed that it is a new rule this year that the childs hair is not allowed to be able to reach around and touch the childs nose, so that when she is doing her routines her hair is not in her face and cannot obstruct her vision. My DD's hair is very fine and very hard to keep up, so I have to use alot of hairspray/gel to keep it up in the first place, now adding the fact that it cannot be in a pony tail anymore but a bun. i was reading the USAG rules and policies for 2013-14 and did not see it any where. Also, my DD wants to get her ears pierced a 2nd time, and I read in there that they can only wear one stud in each ear during comps. If I put small studs in each hole that still isnt allowed?

My daughter has baby fine hair, too, and we do lots of diff braids/French braids. She hates buns because of all the rolls in compulsories, so braids are perfect.

They cannot wear 2 pairs of earrings, no matter how small. My YG got deducted for it at the home meet (but should have had a warning first). We took out the offending pair and she was good to go... we took out her OLD holes and left the new ones in....
Maybe if you get her flesh toned studs, she would get away with it, lol

I found this in the 2013-2014 Rules on USAGym.org:

A gymnast should be well groomed in her appearance:
a. Clean attire.
b. Hair secured away from the face so as to not obscure her vision of the apparatus.
c. No jewelry, with the exception of one pair of stud earrings (one in each ear). All other piercing should be REMOVED, not just covered with tape or Band-Aids.

I was informed that it is a new rule this year that the childs hair is not allowed to be able to reach around and touch the childs nose, so that when she is doing her routines her hair is not in her face and cannot obstruct her vision. My DD's hair is very fine and very hard to keep up, so I have to use alot of hairspray/gel to keep it up in the first place, now adding the fact that it cannot be in a pony tail anymore but a bun. i was reading the USAG rules and policies for 2013-14 and did not see it any where. Also, my DD wants to get her ears pierced a 2nd time, and I read in there that they can only wear one stud in each ear during comps. If I put small studs in each hole that still isnt allowed?

Just heard the exact same thing from our HC......

It doesn't have to be a bun though. If your DD's hair is fine, a braided style might work great, especially one of those fancy french braided styles with lots of braids across the head. Or braids looped and held in a ponytail holder would be another option.

If she has a long pony, then I would just set it low and braid it down her back. It will move less than a high pony that is braided. Doing spider web designs work best on top of the head for fine hair. Keeps everything in place.

Yes, spider and braids should work fine. If you braid her pony, just loop the end through the pony and put the scrunchy over the top. Use an extra rubber band if needed, but it should hold just fine and keep it off her face.

I've only heard of this rule being interpreted in this way in PA. It might happen in other places, but I've only heard of it there.

Out here, region 1, we're being told that hair is not to hit the gymnast in the face. If her ponytail is short enough that it's not hitting her in the face, that's fine.

And yes, only 1 stud earring per ear, but that can be anywhere in the ear. If she wants to wear her second piercing and take out her first, that's fine.

I am pretty sure OG and YG were both getting deducted for this in Ohio. OG now does a bun that she re-does after every event, just to be sure.
YG used to let me spiderweb her hair or braid it, but when sis started doing ponytails, so did she. Hoping for Championships that she lets me get it so it won't whack her in the face on beam and bars.

It must depend on your state/region as to how it's being interpreted because many girls on my daughter's team wear their ponytail braided and it does hit them in the face. They've never gotten a deduction. I think it looks distracting! My daughter only wears a bun. She hates to have her hair flip in her face!

I've only heard of this rule being interpreted in this way in PA. It might happen in other places, but I've only heard of it there.

VA judges (obviously same region) starting to say the same thing. First heard it last year then once this year. In both cases the kids hair did not seem noticeably off to me, but now I am more careful in requiring buns and braided loops. They aren't really taking deductions, just warning coaches to braid it or put it in a loop.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back