Parents Competitive vs Recreational

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TallaB

Proud Parent
My almost 6 year old daughter has been taking recreational gymnastics for almost 2 years. She started attending twice a week in December and also attends a weekly tumble class. This kids heart is in it...but, she has her parents athletic ability She's tall, clutzy and shy. We originally enrolled her to instil confidence, and it is helping. She loves class, she gives it her all and she wants more. She did a mock meet held at our gym a couple months ago and LOVED it. I guess my question is where to go. Is there such thing as competition for Recreational gymnastics? I really don't know that she has the skills to join a competitive team... advice?

Look into the Xcel track. If she can learn some good basics like a good bridge-kickover, a straight leg cartwheel, a split, a pull-up and pull over on the bar, she might be good. It can't hurt to talk to the rec coach about how to get her there. I know at our gym, the Xcel program doesn't tend to pull kids in until they are about 8 years old though.

Definitely talk to the gym and her coach. There's a gym close to us that has a few sites, and they have an in-house competitive league. It's low stress and very affirming. If you don't have an option like that, I second asking about xcel.

I'll echo everyone else. Around here you can find in house teams, "fun meets" and low key alternative leagues. :) Good luck.

As others have said, I would start with talking to you gym about options to see if there is an in-house team/league. Some of these compete against other local gym but really low key and low level. This would give her a taste of competition and if she wants more, then look into xcel or AAU, depending on where you are located.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back