Completely superficial:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ugh.....it's just hair. As long as it's out of their face during competition, who cares. When I was a gymnast, I would spend a hour just curling and brushing my hair into a perfect slicked back pony-tail. No bumps!!! I would do it over and over again until it looked just right. But my hair was so soft and fine that no matter how many hair-ties I put in, my hair would eventually slide out. So half way though the competition I would end up putting my hair in a messy bun. It got the job done.

Point is, your hair (as long as it's out of your face) has little to no affect on your gymnastics.

Yes, certain hairstyles can look aesthetically pleasing....but let's not pretend it has ANY affect on someone's performance... *rolls eyes*

Also, (sort of off topic) but I HATE when teams dictate a specific hair-do for competition. Like, they're already wearing the same exact leotard and doing the exact same routine (in compulsories), let them show a LITTLE personality in their hair, instead of the same slicked back ballerina bun with a thousand little braids intertwined.

As long as they can do the dang back-extension roll, they can wear their hair in space buns for all I care.

The OP's comment was "I'm happy to see that the US women have abandoned the sloppy, half bun hairstyle". It was not "I am happy to see the US women abandoned the sloppy, half bun hairstyle because neater hair makes them look pretty". Who said anything about the girls sloppy hair had any connection to looking - or not looking- pretty?
DD tells me that the reason the loose bun/messy hair is so popular at the gym these days is because 1) that's how the college girls wear their hair so of course alot of younger gymnasts want to look like them 2) yes, the gymnasts think it makes them look 'cute', trendy, sassy, etc. compared to a slicked back bun. DD is about the least appearance-focused gymnast I know, and one of the few at her gym who didn't do the loose bun...a simple neat ponytail or bun is all she's got going on, ever, because (with hairspray!) it's quick and easy. DD had teammates spending so much time re-doing their loose buns after rotations that the coaches threatened to send home (during practice) anyone who had to stop practice to re-do their hair. They didn't want the girls focused on perfecting their sloppy bun so they could look 'pretty'; they want them focused on perfecting their skills. No judgement of gymnasts who like the sloppy hair look - do what you like!- but if you think they do the sloppy loose bun because it's more comfortable, quicker and easier - well, that's not really true....It takes alot of time and effort to perfect that messy bun so it stays in during a meet, probably more time and effort than it takes to slick it back and put it in a tight one. Did I really just comment on hair :)??
To the OP, I couldn't agree more. I find that loose half buns are always flopping around during routines and I find it very distracting...I think it detracts from the presentation. Just one gym mom's opinion.

Eh. It doesn't have to be a big debate. I just don't like the sloppy bun and am glad the US gymnasts have moved on. As Sasha mentioned above, since I spend many hours fussing with my Dd's hair before meets, it interests me, and I figured it probably would interest others as well. Wasn't meaning for it to be some official statement on women's equality or lack thereof.

Eh. It doesn't have to be a big debate. I just don't like the sloppy bun and am glad the US gymnasts have moved on. As Sasha mentioned above, since I spend many hours fussing with my Dd's hair before meets, it interests me, and I figured it probably would interest others as well. Wasn't meaning for it to be some official statement on women's equality or lack thereof.

I wanted to add I appreciate the backup. [emoji6]

Hair is an emotional topic :cool:

Quick! Distract the gymternet with a question about what backyard in-ground tumble track to buy for your "elite" 4 year old!

ducking and running....

lol

I didn't mean to make you feel as though I was attacking you in any way. In my response I wasn't even replying to your original post, more the comments from others in that a certain hairstyle can somehow make someones gymnastics seem "tighter". Even saying it makes me want to roll my eyes lol.

This thread is just like you stated, superficial. I feel silly even commenting on hair in a gymnastics forum. :p

I didn't mean to make you feel as though I was attacking you in any way. In my response I wasn't even replying to your original post, more the comments from others in that a certain hairstyle can somehow make someones gymnastics seem "tighter". Even saying it makes me want to roll my eyes lol.

This thread is just like you stated, superficial. I feel silly even commenting on hair in a gymnastics forum. :p

It's all good! I'm confident in my sloppy bun hating and I know my intention in even starting this thread. Sloppy bun haters unite! [emoji6]

I always liked the messy bun (ala Maroney). Do not care for the prissy bows. To each their own ;-)

I'm not saying hair should be judged. I personally have noticed that when a gymnasts hair is tight she doesn't have that distraction. Tight hair = less distractions = (hopefully) a better practice.
My YG competes much better when her hair isn't tight... A simple ponytail was what she wore for her highest scores ever. When she wears a tight style, it bothers her.

Oh I do:p

Louis' Man bun was a disaster ! But we forgive him his foibles !

Oh my gosh, is it totally weird that I dig the man bun? I think I've been following Lin-Manuel Miranda on Twitter for too long.

(I'm also wearing a sloppy bun right now :D)

Actually the male gymnasts have received plenty of comments about hair too, 'Louis'a man bun', The length of Uchimura's at points and many of the other Japanese (long and distracting) the USA flag shaved on the side Mikulaks heads prior to Rio, and all the arm pit hair, and facial hair.

Armpit hair?

I don't want to harp on this, but so many male athletes take crap about their appearance. Male athletes with long hair or dreads, long beards or colored hair are often ridiculed. Brent Burns of the Sharks has Chewbacca memes all over the internet due to his appearance. Troy Palamalu is another well known name who had his hair discussed as much as his play. He's a football player for those who don't follow the NFL.

Rattling off a few off the top of my head, Chris Simon, Johnny Weir, Dennis Rodman, Jaromir Jagr, Andre Agassi, David Beckham... These are all men who are world class athletes whose appearance was talked about as much as their athleticism. For all but two of those men what were people talking about appearance wise? HAIR!!!

My point is, it's human nature to look at appearance. To note things that are beautiful, off putting, different. We do it to our male and female athletes.

And not to beat the already dead horse, but if you think we don't objectify men as a society, I present to you the flag bearer from Tonga.

*Climbs off tiny soap box*

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 50
Oh my gosh, is it totally weird that I dig the man bun? I think I've been following Lin-Manuel Miranda on Twitter for too long.

(I'm also wearing a sloppy bun right now :D)

On some men, I totally dig it, Lin-Manuel being one. On my dh, notsomuch. (Lol. Kidding, he's bald). [emoji12]

I don't want to harp on this, but so many male athletes take crap about their appearance. Male athletes with long hair or dreads, long beards or colored hair are often ridiculed. Brent Burns of the Sharks has Chewbacca memes all over the internet due to his appearance. Troy Palamalu is another well known name who had his hair discussed as much as his play. He's a football player for those who don't follow the NFL.

Rattling off a few off the top of my head, Chris Simon, Johnny Weir, Dennis Rodman, Jaromir Jagr, Andre Agassi, David Beckham... These are all men who are world class athletes whose appearance was talked about as much as their athleticism. For all but two of those men what were people talking about appearance wise? HAIR!!!

My point is, it's human nature to look at appearance. To note things that are beautiful, off putting, different. We do it to our male and female athletes.

And not to beat the already dead horse, but if you think we don't objectify men as a society, I present to you the flag bearer from Tonga.

*Climbs off tiny soap box*
Joe Namath

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back