Compulsory floor routine deduction splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
What is the deduction if the gymnast when doing the splits in L4-6 floor routines, touches her hand down on the ground when it shouldn't be? For example, my daughter's most recent meet, she said she touched so she wouldn't fall over. Is that a fall? Just wondering because floor is her hardest event and it was a great routine except for that and interesting to know what it might have been. LOL.

Thanks!

I don't believe it is a deduction for the skill requirement (split), they might take off up to .1 for comp error. I remember tom koll saying something about it in judges training a couple years ago. I rarely see judges take off for it though. But if they do, I can't see them taking more than .1. Any judges out there have more info?

I am pretty sure it is a fall and .5 deduction for the 'fall' plus any form deductions - bent legs, not all the way down, toes not pointed etc.

I'm not completely sure but my guess is it would differ depending on the extent of the stumble...sort of like "tapping" on the low bar.

Thanks guys! I was always told it was a fall, but it seems that it really wouldn't be.

Do you mean she is touching when she is getting up? I've asked a brevet judge that I know this because I have seen my DD do it. She said it is not much at all, maybe a tenth or so. If they are putting weight on it to push up, she said she would probably taken about .3. That was her take on it.

You are allowed to push up to stand - it says so in the text. If she places her hand down while sliding into splits I would probably take up to 3 for supplementary support, unless it was very obviously a fall - then 0.5.

I always tell my kids it is a fall just because I don't want them doing it - I had a few that were getting sloppy at that part.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back