MAG Compulsory scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
So after all this time and DS "not knowing" what was up, he said he's also aware that he missed something, an L-sit or something. And my husband chatted with the coach this evening, who said that if there's a missed element, it is deducted from the SV. Apparently the judge in this situation is also very strict/by the book on everything, so coach considered challenging but opted not to. I'm still a little confused, but at least I no longer feel like there's something flat out wrong. If anyone wants to critique the video, please feel free!

So after all this time and DS "not knowing" what was up, he said he's also aware that he missed something, an L-sit or something. And my husband chatted with the coach this evening, who said that if there's a missed element, it is deducted from the SV. Apparently the judge in this situation is also very strict/by the book on everything, so coach considered challenging but opted not to. I'm still a little confused, but at least I no longer feel like there's something flat out wrong. If anyone wants to critique the video, please feel free!

So, he probably did NOT get credit for the straddle L bonus, and therefore by missing the L sit, he missed the bonus and the Lsit.

He screwed up and added a full swing in where it shouldn't have been, so that would have been the only major deduction we saw. He did have several smaller ones (handstand not very straight, etc.). He got a 7.6 out of a 9.3 SV! At most, we saw about 2 points of deductions in a 2 bonus routine, so we were expecting roughly a 9.0/11.0. I will also say that he usually does pretty well on pbars and this particular low score was an outlier for him for the entire meet - he placed in 3 events and AA, but pbars was close to last! I fully concede that it wasn't his best performance, but if the judge really was messed up on the SV, it sounds like he didn't get the credit he should have gotten. (And I'm pretty certain that even a picky judge would have given him credit for at least one bonus if not two - I concede the 2nd one was not perfect, so I'm even willing to toss that out of consideration here, but it still doesn't add up.) I know it doesn't really matter, and it's not State or anything, but it's hard to know how to help him do better if you're confused about it all, lol!
That happened to my son last year at a meet and I texted the coach to ask why the score was so low if he had XYZ bonus. The coach asked the judge and they upped his score 5 tenths. I think the judges sometimes get confused going from judging optionals and compulsories....Biggest question- Did the judge score all of the kids low? or was yours the anomaly?

That happened to my son last year at a meet and I texted the coach to ask why the score was so low if he had XYZ bonus. The coach asked the judge and they upped his score 5 tenths. I think the judges sometimes get confused going from judging optionals and compulsories....Biggest question- Did the judge score all of the kids low? or was yours the anomaly?
I think we have the answers, but to answer this particular question - the judge was definitely not handing out free points. I think, however, now that I know my son missed an element entirely and added in an extra swing, the score was probably justified (and there were definitely some less than perfect details as well). I do think it was a case where if a deduction ranged from 0.1 to 0.3 for example, he was taking the 0.3 in all cases.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back