Coaches Conditioning Chart for Pre-Team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a new pre-team group, girls ages 7-12 who are fresh from rec. classes. Quite a few of them have very good natural strength, but it is overall an area where they are lacking as a group. In an effort to encourage conditioning while still making it fun and helping them to see their progress over time, I am planning on making a sticker chart with a few key skills and numbers of reps. I plan on starting small, then they can earn extra stickers for hitting milestones above and beyond.
But I wanted some input as to what to include. So far I'm thinking:
5 pull-ups
5 leg lifts
1 min. wall handstand (stomach facing wall)
10 sec. L-hold (floor)

Any other ideas? I want to have some other press progressions, but I'm not sure how to measure those. I don't want to be too over zealous, but at the same time I want them to find the motivation to work towards the things they don't yet have. Thanks!

I would add rope. 10 steps without feet? Then maybe press to standing from front support on spotting block (like this:

it's at 0.45). Maybe if it's too hard you can draw a line in the block their toes have to be able to go over.

How are their hanging pull overs? How about 2/3/4 in a row?

Unfortunately we don't have a rope. I will definitely add the pullovers, those need work. One girl can do 2-3 in a row, but she's far and away the best of the bunch in that regard. Thanks!

Okay!

One thing that came in my mind is a handstand hold and lower to straddle, hold for 2 seconds. That would be a nice challenge my girls would absolutely enjoy :)

They respond really well to "challenges" or "contests", so that would be a great addition as well. The younger half especially (7-9 year olds) are super competitive and as soon as one does something they work their butts off until they can do it too, so I'm hopeful that this will work to their advantage! But I hope the older bunch jump on board as well.

1 minute handstand is kind of long if they can't do for example 10 leg lifts. Start with sets of 20 perfect form and then go from there :)

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll do a sticker for certain milestones leading up to 1 minute to make it seem more achievable. I have one girl with ridiculously impressive handstands given her skill level in other regards who will probably get it right away, but it will probably make it more manageable for the younger ones. And that specific kid could use the confidence boost of getting a sticker or 2 right off the bat.
I forgot to add hollow holds to the initial list, but I could do something similar with that- first sticker for a nice 10 or 15 sec. hollow hold and they can add on to that as they improve.

Below is a link to Twistars Phase Conditioning program. It is John Geddert's breakdown of developmental and optional conditioning. Perhaps you can pull some details/info out of the material. The "General Concepts, p#3, is an excellent reminder of the outcome goals of the conditioning.

http://thegymnasticscoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Gedderts-Phase-Conditioning-Book-Bonus.pdf

Not much of the conditioning is "new." The art is making it happen year around for many years in a row.

I hope this resource assists you. Back to meet prep, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back