WAG Conditioning to help keep feet from hitting floor after pirouette

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 18037

Looking for some help on what kind of conditioning/strength training my kid can do that will help her with her pirouette. She consistently hits her feet on the floor after her pirouette.

I would like to leave the actual “gymnastics“ of the pirouette to her coach. She has struggled with a couple injuries which have cost her loss of skills some skills and acquiring others with consistency. Only so much they can focus on at a time. She is in a much better place as this post pandemic mostly normal season wraps up.

But as I’m working out and doing my own strength training. I would like to know what I can encourage her to do if we find ourselves working out together. As her old mom I have to work on everything :p:rolleyes: so doing things with her that would help, without helping:cool:;) would work for me too.

Does she have a pull up bar at home? Very helpful for bars specific strength. Leg lifts, glide swings, etc.

Ask her what drills she does at the gym and try to continue the work at home (if they don't involve five different mats and a spotter of course!):)

Does she have a pull up bar at home? Very helpful for bars specific strength. Leg lifts, glide swings, etc.

Ask her what drills she does at the gym and try to continue the work at home (if they don't involve five different mats and a spotter of course!):)
We do have a pull up bar at home, which we may need to “pull“ out :p

I’m trying to do this subtly. She is 16 so it really is up to her. I just want to be able tofocus on what will help when we work put togethe. And I would love to have help me with my core, which I hate doing and desperately need. I am also working on doing pull ups. I have never been able to do them even at my most fit. I’m currently working them assisted at the gym. But time to get the bar out and do some work at home :cool:

We do have a pull up bar at home, which we may need to “pull“ out :p

I’m trying to do this subtly. She is 16 so it really is up to her. I just want to be able tofocus on what will help when we work put togethe. And I would love to have help me with my core, which I hate doing and desperately need. I am also working on doing pull ups. I have never been able to do them even at my most fit. I’m currently working them assisted at the gym. But time to get the bar out and do some work at home :cool:
Same here! We have a door bar that's been neglected forever. Both kids used it at one point and it fizzled out, but it would be beneficial for them. Me too! We have a strap thingy on it to help with assisted pull-ups, that might be a good way to start. As you say, though, the hard part (for kids) is guiding them to do something and getting their buy-in. I know the "yeah OK Mom" sigh all too well (and mine aren't even 16 yet!).

Glide swings in a row are amazing for that aspect of core strength, I always recommend it to level 5s (fix the clear hip tap) and level 8s (fix the pirouette tap). In fact, make it a contest. Of course, L holds also work great. That can also be a contest.

Just a follow up. My kid was chatty the other day. She told me 3 did 3 pirouettes spotted no feet hitting.

Me hmmmm so what’s different.

Her I’m turning to late.

And there you have it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back