Parents Confidence after surgery

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
My 11 yr old level 9 is having hand surgery Sept 12th. She has a fracture of the hook of the hamate bone (one of the carpal bones) that isnt healing on its own so they have to cut the fractured piece off(excision) . She will be casted 1 week and then therapy, total recovery 6-8 weeks mainly to let the incision heal. She was just coming back from a stress fracture in her ankle when this happened and it took awhile to get the proper diagnosis for her hand .
I dont know what this means for competition this year (her season is Dec thru April) . She only competed 2 meets last year before the ankle injury. Her coaches main focus when she comes back is her gaining her confidence back not competing which i agree with but my daughter wants to do meets. How do i support her but at the same time help her be realistic about her return? She hasnt even swung on a bar in months !!
She is one determined kind of kid though !!

No, you don't know what this means for the upcoming season, so you will have to take it day by day. You have to let your daughter and the coaches drive her recovery - it may be quick or take a while. She may only compete 3 events. She may be fine (December is a long way away). Or she may miss a season. The uncertainty is a hard part of gymnastics, I've discovered; My daughter dislocated her elbow last August, and the coaches said she'd miss the entire season. Guess what - she didn't miss a single meet. On the other hand, my other daughter broke her thumb (twice!) during season, and only got to compete all around at one meet. It's unpredictable, and frustrating, but the fact is you just won't know until you get there. And you will deal with whatever happens and be fine! I think you support her by not committing to one thing or the other - you support her each day, but don't try to tell her what's going to happen - since you don't really know. She will tell you what she's ready for, not the other way around :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back