Parents Connection on Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is struggling to connect the timing for her bars rountine. She pauses between each skill.

She said you have to almost think about what your doing before you do it. Which as fast as girls go on bars I am sure to some level you do have to.

I told her maybe visualize the routine before beginning it. Not sure if that will help or not but worth a shot? Maybe? She tends to overthink so I am just giving my mom advise to her :)

Seeing if any other tips/tricks that helped others with getting the connection/timing better. What helped? What didn't?
Any secrets to not pausing between?

She ripped so much she couldn't "show" her routine yesterday. They have 5 more classes until next meet. We have RipFix (Thank you Chalkbucket!) and Vitiamin E oil to help with them now. I remember seeing something about Liquid Chalk or Tape before. Not sure if she needs that or if it would help. Experience? Rips and this mom have a love/hate relationship. :) DD is better than I with them :)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: JBS
You do need to think about all the skills that are coming to connect them, because the way you do the previous skill will allow it to connect to the next one.

Ideally breaking it down helps. Just focusing on each connection or a modified variation of each connection is very useful.

for example if she struggles to connect things to a back hip circle, it helps to just practice cast - back hip circle - cast.

Take each skill of the routine and just practice those connections one at a time.

DD is struggling to connect the timing for her bars rountine. She pauses between each skill.
What level is she? For me, in the L4 routine, connecting kip to cast, and then cast to squat on took a while. For cast to squat on, it was mainly the placement of my shoulders when I end the cast which helped me connect..
She ripped so much she couldn't "show" her routine yesterday. They have 5 more classes until next meet. We have RipFix (Thank you Chalkbucket!) and Vitiamin E oil to help with them now. I remember seeing something about Liquid Chalk or Tape before. Not sure if she needs that or if it would help. Experience?
Idk about ripfix/vit e, but I and most other girls at my gym use tape grips under our actual grips when we have rips...

What level? Something that we try to hit at the lower levels (Level 4 & below) on bars is the following that I say to them all the time...

Rhythm & form are the only 2 things that matter... everyone has the skills... it's rhythm & form that win the game!

Many work on the height of the casts and swings... typically an athlete with good rhythm on bars will start increasing their height automatically without even knowing it.

What level? Something that we try to hit at the lower levels (Level 4 & below) on bars is the following that I say to them all the time...

Many work on the height of the casts and swings... typically an athlete with good rhythm on bars will start increasing their height automatically without even knowing it.
She is Xcel Silver. So it’s simple skills that she has already. However, moving it all in motion and get that squat on is being a challenge.
Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: JBS
She is Xcel Silver. So it’s simple skills that she has already. However, moving it all in motion and get that squat on is being a challenge.
Thanks for the tips!

We start with Xcel Silver... that is the #1 level that I say the above quote for. We don't do squat ons though... we do shooting stars.

DD said she thinks about the skills one before.

She competes kip, cast, cast, BHC, BHC, squat on, tap swing 1/2 turn

So she thinks about the kip while she waits to be saluted. She thinks about the casts in the kip, and the BHC during the cast, etc, etc. So she is always "one step ahead". When she tried to think about it during the skill or right before it, they came out sloppy and unconnected.

It's all about the timing for bars.

DD said she thinks about the skills one before.

She competes kip, cast, cast, BHC, BHC, squat on, tap swing 1/2 turn

So she thinks about the kip while she waits to be saluted. She thinks about the casts in the kip, and the BHC during the cast, etc, etc. So she is always "one step ahead". When she tried to think about it during the skill or right before it, they came out sloppy and unconnected.

It's all about the timing for bars.
Thats really interesting.
My new coach always said to not think ahead and complete each skill first before doing the next one. Especially on floor and for things like RO BHS BHS

Yeah it’s something DD only does on bars and she said it’s because she didn’t have enough time to think through everything fully in a bar routine, but can be thinking during her choreo on floor and beam.

just find what works for you the best

Maybe this is relevant.
My daughter is XG this year. Up until now, she's been doing her routine w no connections.
She JUST got her connection (kip to cast to a double-round-and-round thing IDK the name of) last week. Her coach has advised her to keep working on it, but don't use it in the first competition. Take the pause between skills for now. When she has the connections clean, she can compete with it.
I guess this is just to say, you can compete without it, and also, connections are hard.
There are wiser people than me in this thread, so maybe they'll disagree about that strategy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back