Parents Considering Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is only 2 and I was wondering what was the general idea on when to start things. We currently do an open gym hour once a week at the local club. We've tried some mama and me classes but I wasn't overly impressed by the class, nor did it seem to be things she didn't already know? We frequent the playground and we do this open gym time weekly. They offer classes at 3 but not until then. Is 3 still too early? I worry about long term damage to her body...maybe that is silly?

At that age you should just make sure she is enjoying the sport and having fun. Don’t worry about the skills - there’ll be plenty of time from that when she’s older.
I would put my kid in a class at 3 if they were ready for it maturity-wise! There is a lot they can learn about team work and body awareness before they can start flipping. Beware that your gym don’t do excessive back bends or kick overs as that can do long term damage.

Welcome! the mommy/me and the toddler classes are for building general interest, body awareness, working on listening skills, building confidence on the equipment and really just having fun! The preschool classes build upon the above and focus a little more on structure and some of the basic skills. We started in parent/me classes from about 18 months at a "fun" gym program (basic obstacle courses, trampoline, etc) and then transitioned to a traditional gymnastics academy at 4.

Most of the time gymnastics is good for the body, not damaging. It develops core strength, good posture, good balance, good flexibility. Training in gymnastics from a young age, strengthens the muscles to sit and stand correctly and this causes lifelong physical benefits, and means they will be much less likely to be prone to the back pains adults suffer, which often stem for a lifetime of poor posture.

Gymnastics is great for pre school aged children, recent research has found that one of the single most important things children need in early childhood, in order to develop excellent reading skills when they are older is physical activity and the types of movements done in gymnastics in particular, strengthen the neural pathways.

The hanging and swinging also develop grip strength, which make it much easier for them to learn to write, type, ties shoes, play a musical instrument etc, when they start school.

Even if they go on to do other sports when they are older, doing gymnastics in the pre school years, really sets them up for a positive future.

Gymnastics is actually one of the few sports that is really safe for young children to do. many sports have repetitive movements, that use the same side of the body, or a particular muscle set more than others. This can pull the growth out of alignment. Gymnastics uses all different body parts in different ways, which fosters healthy physical growth.

When you hear about gymnastics causing damage to the body, they are generally referring to high level competitive gymnasts who are training many, many hours a week. Kids at age 10 training 30 hours a week to becomes elites etc.

Thank you everyone for the replies! I will keep all of this in mind. It is only for fun and I wouldn't force her to do anything she wasn't wanting to do, but I also like to help foster her interesting. Thank you again.

I started at five. When she's three, it depends. Is the gym's currciulum asking her to throw walkovers or headstands, or are they providing her with obstacle courses, and opportunity to jump around, and lots of smiles and a positive experience? I think everyone will favour the latter. So do I; the former is how injuries will form.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back