Controversial view on gymnastics in a pandemic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think USAG would do us all a huge favor if they cancelled this coming season.

Right now, there are a thousand things that are more important than developing competitive routines. Having two or three months off, and facing the risk of outbreak when coming back, pressuring kids and coaches to prepare for an upcoming season is potentially disastrous. First, athletes and coaches should feel comfortable taking all the time they need to gradually ease back in, rather than having the looming deadline presented by an upcoming season. Second, athletes and coaches should not feel any pressure to be in the gym if they might be sick. Cancelling next season would remove these pressures.

(That said, based on events and revelations of the last couple years, I have exactly zero faith in USAG to do the right thing for their coaches and athletes)

I understand your point, but do not like it ;) Having a senior this year, he would lose that whole season,plus what he lost this year, while hoping to get recruited. I think there are safe ways to have some sort of a season, including in house only, virtual, etc.

I understand your point, but do not like it ;) Having a senior this year, he would lose that whole season,plus what he lost this year, while hoping to get recruited. I think there are safe ways to have some sort of a season, including in house only, virtual, etc.

To clarify:

To the extent it can be done safely, I think continuing some level of training is perfectly fine. Groups should be small and staggered, and strength and flexibility should primarily be done at home to shorten in-gym time.

It's the competition that I think we should skip for a season.

(Edited to fix a typo)

Last edited:
To clarify:

To the extent it can be done safely, I think continuing some level of training is perfectly fine. Groups should be small and staggered, and strength and flexibility should primarily be done at home to shorten in-game time.

It's the competition that I think we should skip for a season.

I get that. BUt I still think competition can be done safely. And yes, it is somewhat selfish. I cannot imagine telling my kiddo that his JO career is over. COmpetely. Right now, I am not there, and I truly think there are ways to make it work for everyone.

I get that. BUt I still think competition can be done safely. And yes, it is somewhat selfish. I cannot imagine telling my kiddo that his JO career is over. COmpetely. Right now, I am not there, and I truly think there are ways to make it work for everyone.

It can be done safely, and honestly I think it should be done. Every gym is in the same boat of lost training time so I think expectations can be adjusted and that may mean some level repeats and smaller meets. But I think returning to some sort of normalcy is good for their mental health as well.

It can be done safely, and honestly I think it should be done. Every gym is in the same boat of lost training time so I think expectations can be adjusted and that may mean some level repeats and smaller meets. But I think returning to some sort of normalcy is good for their mental health as well.
No that is not true. Not every state has had the same closures. Not every area in the same state had had the same closures.

No that is not true. Not every state has had the same closures. Not every area in the same state had had the same closures.
[/QUOTE

Not the same length of time, no. But still every state has had a significant amount of closing time. And if you are only doing small local meets, then you will most likely be competing against gyms that were closed the same amount of time as yours, most likely being the key phrase.

Also, uneven closures between states may make regionals and nationals impractical, or even impossible. (Not that I think people should be travelling across the country anyway).
That’s the bigger issue.

Personally for us it is not am issue. My kid is either a repeat L8 or very minimal skill L9 with no huge aspiration. If we were to do few local meets for fun, no biggie.

And disparity in training has always happenec and always will. But it was the families/gymnasts choice. This situation is not.

So there will be kids who have to deal with disparities beyond their control. The kids where states matter for regional and national qualifier, it’s not fair and it’s known.

I and my daughter chose not to go to a high powered gym. We didn’t (nor did anyone else) chose to be shutdown. And being closed and reopening is beyond our control. So that L10 willing to give up their life but not allowed to. Bit another state/County allows it. Just wrong

I would really love for there not to be a full on season this upcoming year. I do think there are ways that we can perhaps look into allowing upper level high-schoolers (maybe not even all upper level, but it would have the most impact for them, for sure) to be able to compete on a smaller scale. I don't see the point in anyone not in high school having a full on competition season.

While yes, most gyms have closed for some amount of time, there are many who still allowed girls to train. Those girls obviously have a huge advantage, so what would be the point in competing against them anyway? This is not sour grapes, even when our gym opened, we kept our daughter out even longer, it's just frustrating to see. Even still, she is on a modified schedule and only going to practices where fewer girls are in attendance. (Competed L9, btw, so not new to gymnastics by any stretch.) More time to just train without the pressure of competing, allowing gyms to maintain a healthy and safe environment for all the coaches and gymnasts seems ideal. I feel like girls could safely attain skills, perhaps make even more improvements to their gymnastics without the stress of routines.

Just my opinion, but I think it could really be a good thing.

I would really love for there not to be a full on season this upcoming year. I do think there are ways that we can perhaps look into allowing upper level high-schoolers (maybe not even all upper level, but it would have the most impact for them, for sure) to be able to compete on a smaller scale. I don't see the point in anyone not in high school having a full on competition season.

While yes, most gyms have closed for some amount of time, there are many who still allowed girls to train. Those girls obviously have a huge advantage, so what would be the point in competing against them anyway? This is not sour grapes, even when our gym opened, we kept our daughter out even longer, it's just frustrating to see. Even still, she is on a modified schedule and only going to practices where fewer girls are in attendance. (Competed L9, btw, so not new to gymnastics by any stretch.) More time to just train without the pressure of competing, allowing gyms to maintain a healthy and safe environment for all the coaches and gymnasts seems ideal. I feel like girls could safely attain skills, perhaps make even more improvements to their gymnastics without the stress of routines.

I feel the same. I'd like to see the upper levels do something if possible but for my daughter, I'd prefer no routines, just a slow and safe return to gymnastics (if her gym ever does get to open.) I think she'd appreciate the opportunity to uptrain later as opposed to learning routines anyhow.

Perfectly written and I am in full agreement. That was my point I tried to make above, in terms of it not being a fair shake, so to speak, but I didn’t put it as well.

I think my post lacked clarity. I would like to see smaller, local meets for gymnasts. I wasn’t even considering regionals or nationals where major travel would be involved. It would be nice for the seniors to have something and a couple of local meets would be better than nothing at all. I know this would also be good for my optional gymnast and her motivation and mental health. I don’t think anyone will be expecting to have their best season. And again, if it’s only local meets, they will most likely be competing against other gyms that have been closed and open for roughly the same amount of time.

And as far as fair, I’m not sure it’s fair to ask all seniors to give up their last year (If it could be done safely or remotely with technology) because some may have been training longer than others. Nothing about this situation is fair and I don’t think anything can be done to make it completely fair. If I were a senior, I would want to compete, even if it meant against girls that may have been training longer rather than not have any meets at all. You just have to take it for what it is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back