Controversial view on gymnastics in a pandemic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It won’t be easy for teachers trying to teach online and in person. Will the same teachers be required to do both, with classes having some kids in the building and some online?

that is one of a thousand details being worked on. It is overwhelming.

It won’t be easy for teachers trying to teach online and in person. Will the same teachers be required to do both, with classes having some kids in the building and some online?
Again.not fair to teachers either. Online is different then in class. Most cant do both well. And in reality both suffer

Our district is currently planning to combine learning locations within class groups. The intention is to help remote kids feel connected by pairing each online with a student who is physically present in the classroom. It’s well-intentioned, but I worry it is too much responsibility and distraction for both teachers and students. It also means students who attend in person will still spend the majority of their day on a computer, which at the elementary level is a dealbreaker for me (we are considering withdrawing). It seems like organizing remote kids into 100% remote classes would let each teacher focus on their one type of teaching and also allow remote teachers to design the class specifically for remote learning. Less stressful and more effective all around.

I find myself constantly adjusting my hopes and expectations for my daughter's upcoming senior year. I am now at the point that I hope that she gets a track season in the spring since she did not have one her junior year. And maybe a senior prom.

My daughter switched to Diamond for this past season and absolutely loved the experience. She had time to focus on her school sport and still compete successfully in gymnastics. She has never had college gymnastics aspirations but loves the sport. I get very sad thinking that she may have competed in her last gymnastics meet. She jokes that at least she went out with a bang - last meet was a travel meet to Florida where we had a fabulous time and she had a fantastic meet. I also feel so sad for her teammates who are hoping for college scholarships, or walk-on spots.

Fellow parent of a senior here. He's a positive guy and he has the psychological resources to cope with the uncertainty and some disappointments. But I hope our numbers stay low enough that he can continue to work out and do some meets this year, and that he has the possibility of doing club next year. I also hope he gets some kind of senior year. We still have no idea what school's going to look like here.

Everyone thinking about college sports needs to understand that the storm is breaking. NCAA athletics are going to undergo a major transformation this year. Many programs won't survive and I think the model is going to be fewer, closer competitions for those that do. If you have your eyes on a college where it's the only gymnastics program in a wide geographic radius, start looking elsewhere now.

Districts near us have the brilliant idea of doing one week in class two weeks online. Lets see how well that works... In theory it's great for covid (2 weeks to figure out if anyone is symptomatic) but educationally it will be a nightmare. My last high schooler is in an online charter school and will continue taking dual enrollment courses at the local comm college, so it will be business as usual for us

The thing I have to keep telling myself is that my kids have never experienced what a senior year "should" be like. I have, and my husband has. But this experience that is fully theirs hasn't occurred yet. So we are working hard to not project feelings of loss or grief over changes. Will it look different for my senior this year? Absolutely. Does it have to be viewed as one loss after another? Nope. This is an instance where the phrase "it is what it is" can be very therapeutic and healing. We are literally taking it one day at a time, feeling what we feel in the moment and then taking action steps to control what we can and move forward.

The thing I have to keep telling myself is that my kids have never experienced what a senior year "should" be like. I have, and my husband has. But this experience that is fully theirs hasn't occurred yet. So we are working hard to not project feelings of loss or grief over changes. Will it look different for my senior this year? Absolutely. Does it have to be viewed as one loss after another? Nope. This is an instance where the phrase "it is what it is" can be very therapeutic and healing. We are literally taking it one day at a time, feeling what we feel in the moment and then taking action steps to control what we can and move forward.
I’m not worried about that stuff. It truly is what it is.
Im worried about her education and mental health

I’m not worried about that stuff. It truly is what it is.
Im worried about her education and mental health

I am, and as junior, he does know what a senior year usually looks like. SO he is missing some of the things. I have heard him say it. But he is definitely just rolling with it. I know this is just a season of life, but it is tough!

When I go to my dark place, which I really try not to do, this senior class makes me sad. They are facing so many differences. Will they be in school at all? Homecoming, dances, Band (marching band fall season has been cancelled here), assemblies where they are the focus, SAT/ACT, Proms, graduations, senior banquets, gymnastics meets, nationals, college visits, recruiting.....But that is just my worst case scenario. I try not to dwell there....not a fun place to be.
They have had so much taken from them—both class of 2020 and 2021. I personally feel that sometime in the future everyone will look back and see that it was all for nothing and that we could have continued on without taking everything away from, well, everyone. (It’s called opinion, not fact. It’s not lecture time now, thank you!) My dd is about to enter her senior year of college and her last year of college cheer, and it’s all in limbo. It’s supposed to be the best time of their life, all the “last times” and then graduation, and it might not happen. I’m already discouraging her from going back to live on campus, because due to the extreme restrictions they are expected to adhere to, what kind of life is that? At least at home she can live a semi-normal life.

. I’m already discouraging her from going back to live on campus, because due to the extreme restrictions they are expected to adhere to, what kind of life is that? At least at home she can live a semi-normal life.
Not to mention that a lot of colleges are now saying they won't refund room/board if they have to kick students off campus. We are in a real pickle with one of ours, who will live on campus. It's a lot of money to toss at the college, without knowing whether the students will get to stay

If mine were in college we would seriously be sitting down and giving a hard look at taking a year off

We talked about it, as my oldest is a junior. BUt her thought was, losing that year could slow her momentum, and make it more difficult to return. So she is going to keep going in whatever format it comes. I agreed with her. I could not have taken a year off mid stream and gone back as successfully. But other people could have. So, it totally depends on the student. I was glad mine was able to make a decision like that.

My dd is about to enter her senior year of college and her last year of college cheer, and it’s all in limbo. It’s supposed to be the best time of their life, all the “last times” and then graduation, and it might not happen.
It is awful that the kids are going to miss these experiences that they have looked forward to and worked towards for so long.

However, putting forward the idea that any part of College (or High School) are the best years of their lives also seems quite tragic.

College is a preparation for the exciting future and the amazing lives they will lead.

These kids will miss out on many of the amazing memories we made but they will make plenty of their own.

These kids will miss out on many of the amazing memories we made but they will make plenty of their own.

My son is a senior this year, and we just talked about this. We have no idea what senior year will look like, but I know his school will do what they can to make it special. And the memories being made this summer are fantastic in many ways. It is different, but still amazing. and who knows what college holds for him, but I know he will make it amazing as well. It will be very different, but it will still prepare him and allow him to have an amazing life.

I think USAG would do us all a huge favor if they cancelled this coming season.

Right now, there are a thousand things that are more important than developing competitive routines. Having two or three months off, and facing the risk of outbreak when coming back, pressuring kids and coaches to prepare for an upcoming season is potentially disastrous. First, athletes and coaches should feel comfortable taking all the time they need to gradually ease back in, rather than having the looming deadline presented by an upcoming season. Second, athletes and coaches should not feel any pressure to be in the gym if they might be sick. Cancelling next season would remove these pressures.

(That said, based on events and revelations of the last couple years, I have exactly zero faith in USAG to do the right thing for their coaches and athletes)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back