Cost of gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbabisMom

Parent/Coach
Do you ever wonder if it's worth it? Thank goodness the gym we go to is very inexpensive, comparatively, but $175 a month for tuition, plus the booster club assessments. We live 56 miles from our gym which means it takes over an hour to get to. Gas is ridiculous, and during meet season, traveling long distances and paying for hotels.

It's definitely worth it!!! She loves it. She works so hard at it and for it. The other girls are the kind of girls I like her to have for friends. The other parents are nice. The gym is a wonderful place and the lessons she learns there will stay with her for life. :)

i am not a parent so i dont pay the bills. i am the one who causes th bills but if i were my parents id say it was worth it. i have always gone to the same gym and its great- i have great friends, good coaches, and good equipment. the time it takes away from me is definitely worth it- i may not get to go to as many social events like my friends- but for four hours im with friends and enjoying it!:D

I always think it's worth it. At least at this stage of my life. I'm being sponsored by my local team so thankfully I'm only costing us gas! :) I only have 1 leo, a comp one, otherwise I wear swimsuits when at the gym. :)

I only have 1 leo, a comp one, otherwise I wear swimsuits when at the gym.

Since you are a minor, I will check with a moderator first to make sure that it is appropriate and your privacy can be maintained, but if it's Ok, I'd like to help you get a leotard for practice. You seem very dedicated to the sport and should have one.

TeamDad - I think that is wonderful.

At this point I think it is worth it, every penny. The change in my DD since starting gymnastics is not something I can put a price on. two years ago, heck even one year ago - she was a shy, insecure girl. Her mouth would literally drop open if she was in front of people (like for a class show). It took her over a year to say "hello" to one of my husbands co-workers (this was back a while - when she was 3 and 4 - she is now 8). My mom recently commented on the changes in her - and I do credit it to the gym and gymnastics. One year ago (almost exactly) she went to her first meet. Her first even was floor. I did not think she was going to make it off the floor after her routine without getting sick (her face really looked like she was going to get ill). Now, just last month she was in a show that her gym put on at a local fair type event. It was a routine (all of the team girls) to a song and then they did some tumbling to a couple more. Well at the end of the routine part she had herself front and center. I have a picture of it and everyday I look at it and I am amazed. A year ago she would have been hiding in the back where nobody could see her. This meet season she begs the coach to let her go first on every event at the meets ( she doesn't let her but - she still begs)

Well, my long winded way of saying - YES it is worth it. I will do whatever I need to so she can keep going as long as she loves it.

Aw thats great teamdad :) I hope the mods and all-aroundgirl and you can work something out.

That is excellent, Team Dad! Very kind.

And yes, gymnastics is completely worth it!!! My DD has gotten so much from it and is so dedicated and happy because of it. Not to mention being physically fit and a myriad of other things. Absolutely worth it.

You are awesome - Team Dad!

It is definitely worth it!! My daughter has been doing this for three years, competing for two of them. She is now turning 10 this month. The self confidence and close friendships she has gained (me too!) have been wonderful. She has tons of friends at school, but when she has a birthday party, it's the gym girls that she wants to invite! It is a challenge sometimes, as my husband and I are just everyday people with everyday jobs, but, what's the money worth if you don't do something worth while with it?! She has no problem getting up in front of people for whatever reason, and is often picked to do these things. I think it is great, because I was just the opposite as a kid! Who needs a new car anyways!!!!!:)

I didn't know how much gymnastics had cost until you metioned it. So let me see;
This is 12 weeks
2 Leos $40
Class tuition $60
Class fee $215

And I live about 30min from the gym. Wow my parents do that much I didn't know that but it is totally worth it. I love gymnastics.

Excuse me I've got to go Thank my parents lol.

You are awesome - Team Dad!

It is definitely worth it!! My daughter has been doing this for three years, competing for two of them. She is now turning 10 this month. The self confidence and close friendships she has gained (me too!) have been wonderful. She has tons of friends at school, but when she has a birthday party, it's the gym girls that she wants to invite! It is a challenge sometimes, as my husband and I are just everyday people with everyday jobs, but, what's the money worth if you don't do something worth while with it?! She has no problem getting up in front of people for whatever reason, and is often picked to do these things. I think it is great, because I was just the opposite as a kid! Who needs a new car anyways!!!!!:)

Since you are a minor, I will check with a moderator first to make sure that it is appropriate and your privacy can be maintained, but if it's Ok, I'd like to help you get a leotard for practice. You seem very dedicated to the sport and should have one.

I would be more than happy to donate one as well.

That's great!!! I've been trying to figure out how to do this w/o causing any trouble (like having to explain to her parents that she got this leo from some stranger on the internet:eek:). Perhaps you can send her one from me as well. I will send you a PM so we can figure this out.

That's wonderful that you are giving her a leo. Her post are thoughtful and she seems like such a hardworking and genuinely nice young lady.

I usually don't add this up - just don't want to know. For you beginning parents out there - whatever it costs you now it will only get more expensive. Last year L9 was:

yearly tuition $3,700.00
Meet fees 10 regular meets 750.00
States, Regionals and nationals 300.00
Leos, equipt. etc estimate 400.00
Hotels, food, gas, car rental... 2,000.00
Airline tickets 3 people 1,000.00
Booster Fees not fundraised 500.00
Incidentals 500.00

Total $9150.00 - guess that's why I didn't want to know! lol

That's great!!! I've been trying to figure out how to do this w/o causing any trouble (like having to explain to her parents that she got this leo from some stranger on the internet:eek:). Perhaps you can send her one from me as well. I will send you a PM so we can figure this out.

I'd like to thank you both for being so thoughtful and kind but I'm just not comfratable with that and neither our my parents. Actually we got some leos that were REALLY cheap and on sale this morning, and it was suprising because they were really nice looking and a great brand, so I really don't need them. But again thank you so much, it's very sweet of you I'm just not comfratable with that. I didn't mean to imply anything when I mentioned I only have one leo, I actually prefer the swimsuits to the leo. :) And because of some....um, new and really unusual reasons I'm not going to need a leo for a while.

Last edited:
Sorry, please don't take it the wrong way. Gymnastics can be expensive and my wife and I do what we can to help out when there is a need. The gift was meant in that spirit and I completely understand. Thanks for being a good sport about it.

Sorry, please don't take it the wrong way. Gymnastics can be expensive and my wife and I do what we can to help out when there is a need. The gift was meant in that spirit and I completely understand. Thanks for being a good sport about it.

No offence was taken at all. It was so sweet of you it just really suprised me. :)

Would you expect anyone who frequents this site to say it isn't worth it, at least in terms of dollars?

I don't regret the money I spent.

I do suspect the "lessons" of gymnastics could've been learned in other, less expensive, activities, but that doesn't mean gymnastics wasn't worth it.

I do think that gymnastics can become unaffordable as athletes progress and prices go up, but that has nothing to do with its worth.

I do regret the long-term damage done to my dd1's knees (and kick myself for not pulling her out in level 6 when it happened).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back