County, Regional, National...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
County, Regional, National.. What do they all mean?

I know a tiny bit about County Squads (as our gym has girls that are in them) but nothing about Regional or National.

What I am trying to say is what exactly does it mean if to say -

..... County Competition
......Regional Competition

Dots represent the name of the competition

National Artistic NDP Grades (sometimes with the word finals thrown in)
British Championships - is this a big thing?

Also is a performance squad the same sort of thing as an elite squad?

Yes the British is a massive thing! It is THE massive thing where our national champions are made.

There are 3 sorts of WAG grades, compulsory or elite grades (these are the hardest), national grades and regional or club grades (these are the easiest) You can now transfer between them each year (as long as you move onto a 'harder' grade) and do them at any age (there are some minimum ages but these are quite young)

The answer to all the other questions is 'could be, maybe, possibly, sort of' All of the answers to those are different depending on which region you are in. So no point explaining, they could mean anything and nothing and something in between.

If you want specific answers you will have to state what region you are in.

Thanks Jenny. I have read a little info on the New a club Grades and could see the minimum age restrictions, there doesn't seem like no age limits after that which is good for older gymnasts who come into the sport after the age of 7 or who blossom later. I take it compulsory / elite is out of you don't start that path young or does it work them same way as club grades? I am just curious.

Compulsory grades can now be taken at any age after the minimum too. You don't have to pass 5 or 4 to progress to 3. But then you must pass 3 to progress to 2 and 2 to progress to 1. When you have passed 1 you can compete at the British!

Mostly children do start on this path young but not always. Dependent more on the club than the gymnast. Hopefully clubs will now include older gymnasts.

The hours of training varies a lot so regional grades often train 9-12 hours a week, national 15+, elite 18+. Again there is a huge variation between clubs on hours. Some counties don't have county grades others do.

Compulsory grades can now be taken at any age after the minimum too. You don't have to pass 5 or 4 to progress to 3. But then you must pass 3 to progress to 2 and 2 to progress to 1. When you have passed 1 you can compete at the British!

Mostly children do start on this path young but not always. Dependent more on the club than the gymnast. Hopefully clubs will now include older gymnasts.

That is good to hear, it would be nice if they will include older gymnasts, I have found that all the young 5-7 year old hot shots seem to near enough disappear by they time they get to 9+, it seem those that start later stick around.

I have no idea if the club my gymmies go to do county grades but I should imagine they do if they have girls in the County Squad. I think the young "hot shots" are working towards their compulsory grades and skipping club grades altogether, it will be interesting to see how many are left when they are old enough to do those grades.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back