Parents COVID AND INJURIES

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ODDBALL

Proud Parent
If you have had COVID 2020 , 2021 and 2022 that had a tremendous affect on training and scheduled meets. Broke your foot in 2022 which I missed 6 meets only coming back to States and qualify for Regionals but not Nationals.
When updating your bio. , should any of this be included? I have not had the best few years. I am pushing through to make it on a college team.

I'm not a college coach (though I am a professor and read lots of applications to various things by college kids), but I'll tell you that people like to see an ascendant narrative.

By that I mean, "this and this and this and this bad thing happened to me and that's why I couldn't make it to Nationals" is not going to get you very far. However, "this bad thing happened, yet I persevered and did XXX to overcome this other bad thing making it all the way to Regionals."

Can you see the difference? The first looks like complaining and excuse making. The second makes it look like you dug deep and managed to salvage something good out of a bad situation. I think the second option is better than saying nothing but the first is worse.

I'm not a college coach (though I am a professor and read lots of applications to various things by college kids), but I'll tell you that people like to see an ascendant narrative.

By that I mean, "this and this and this and this bad thing happened to me and that's why I couldn't make it to Nationals" is not going to get you very far. However, "this bad thing happened, yet I persevered and did XXX to overcome this other bad thing making it all the way to Regionals."

Can you see the difference? The first looks like complaining and excuse making. The second makes it look like you dug deep and managed to salvage something good out of a bad situation. I think the second option is better than saying nothing but the first is worse.
Thank you! Yes, I can see the difference! You are absolutely correct.

If you have had COVID 2020 , 2021 and 2022 that had a tremendous affect on training and scheduled meets. Broke your foot in 2022 which I missed 6 meets only coming back to States and qualify for Regionals but not Nationals.
When updating your bio. , should any of this be included? I have not had the best few years. I am pushing through to make it on a college team.
While I have no advice(JPC makes excellent points!!), you've had a rough 3yrs, I applaud you for making it through and persevering!! Lots of mental and physical strength, that is obvious!!

Congrats on making it through and I wish you continued success on your journey!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back