WAG Cramping After Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tpMom

Proud Parent
Note- DD is under the care of a pediatrician and rheumatologist, I'm not seeking medical advice.

DD is a 9 year old training level 6/7 and lately she's been complaining of muscle cramps at home. They seem to be worse on her days off and they're happening all over, so it's not an specific injury. This morning she's had painful cramps in her thigh, calf (on her other leg), and shoulder. She also gets them regularly in her upper back and glutes. I've been having her stretch out the cramp while it's happening, and she's drinking lots of water and Gatorade, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice for her to help.

Yes potassium. Can you see the calf flexed when she complains about cramps? I only ask as it may be something else.

Hmmm I don't know. You can see whichever muscle is cramping. They're full on cramps which contort her hands or feet and the whole muscle tenses and flexes.
Yes potassium. Can you see the calf flexed when she complains about cramps? I only ask as it may be something else.

Soreness is a part of this sport. She is continually building muscle. Protein before and after practice, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Epsom salt bath after practice. Get a foam roller so she can roll out the sore muscles, stretch every day.

Soreness is a part of this sport. She is continually building muscle. Protein before and after practice, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Epsom salt bath after practice. Get a foam roller so she can roll out the sore muscles, stretch every day.
I agree soreness is part of it - and she's been sore for the better part of the past 2 years. These are charley horse cramps that stop her in her tracks and turn her muscles into rocks. I hadn't thought of epsom salt baths and I'll get her a foam roller too - that'll probably help her stretch out a cramp when one hits.

So you see her cramping that is terrible but good at the same time. It is appears to be cramps now you need to find the protocol to help alleviate the cramps. Foam roller and stretching are good places to start.

Reactions: sce
I agree soreness is part of it - and she's been sore for the better part of the past 2 years. These are charley horse cramps that stop her in her tracks and turn her muscles into rocks. I hadn't thought of epsom salt baths and I'll get her a foam roller too - that'll probably help her stretch out a cramp when one hits.
Seriously consider whether she is well hydrated as well. Also, if she is going through a growth spurt that will contribute to these cramps.

That is a lot of cramping! that must be so rough for your daughter.

I have a lot of experience with super painful Charlie horse cramps, as I have had them most of my life, starting when I was about your daughter's age. However they were always in my calves.

I never got these kinds of cramps during or shortly after activity. It was usually 8-12 hours after activity when I got them. For example there was a time I always got terrible calf cramps the morning (or afternoon) after a night of dancing.

I agree make sure hydration is fully and always covered. Kids need to drink way more water than one would think, and those in intense athletics must drink even more. We used a chart for a while to make sure my boys were drinking enough. It was hardest to keep up in the cooler weather, when they overall felt less thirsty.

A while ago there was a thread on hydration and I know milk was discussed and I believe a study mentioned showing it to be a superior hydrator, and no need for it to be chocolate milk necessarily. Food (like a banana or really, whatever) taken with the milk or water will usually allow for proper hydration without needing to rely on the extras in sport drinks, if that is something that concerns you.

I had horrendous charlie horse cramps in my calf when I was pregnant. I found the trick for me was to force my heel "down" to stretch the area just as the cramp started, sometimes I could get it to stop coming on if I caught it early enough. I read somewhere to go stand on a cool surface (like a tiled bathroom floor) and stretch and this also helped.

Being well hydrated also I remember some research being done on milk after exercise for helping recovery and reducing cramping and they found it was better than sports drinks, I think a lack of calcium can cause cramps. My friends sons is at a top academy for football and he is recommended to drink water during and chocolate milk after every practice and no sports drinks.

I was also going to suggest magnesium!

If i wear heals to the office or for long periods of time, I almost can guarantee being woken in the middle of the night with excruciating cramps in my calf. But, if i remember to take a magnesium supplement before bed - i wont cramp at all!

Important to drink lots of H2O - especially if you start supplementing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back