Parents Crazy Gym Parent Behavior (Yours or Others)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think we should all do the right thing as parents to support our child / children in any sport. I do want to weigh in on one aspect - courtesy and respect for parents of other gymnasts. We should all take a pause and think of creating a nurturing and supportive for our children in the gym and outside of it. As the first people our children look to a role models we as parents should do our best to exhibit those behaviors.

Many parents are nice, however, sometimes there are situations where they form into their own little groups and alienate other parents in the process. New parents entering a gym or "team group" may feel put-off by it and we all know this sport requires a lot of time together and in some cases trips.

Personally, I want to project being a welcoming person and will cheer on other children on the team equally because they are a team. I am also willing to have conversations with other parents to bounce ideas or even keep an eye on a child if the child is waiting for a parent to arrive who is running late.

While our children may be "competing" with each other there should be some degree of support and comradery among the parents. I suggest we all take a look while in the waiting room and see if there is a parent off to the side or new to the group. Reach out and say 'hello', offer to have a conversation (gym or other things to lighten the mood), or grab a cup of coffee together.

I think we should all do the right thing as parents to support our child / children in any sport. I do want to weigh in on one aspect - courtesy and respect for parents of other gymnasts. We should all take a pause and think of creating a nurturing and supportive for our children in the gym and outside of it. As the first people our children look to a role models we as parents should do our best to exhibit those behaviors.

Many parents are nice, however, sometimes there are situations where they form into their own little groups and alienate other parents in the process. New parents entering a gym or "team group" may feel put-off by it and we all know this sport requires a lot of time together and in some cases trips.

Personally, I want to project being a welcoming person and will cheer on other children on the team equally because they are a team. I am also willing to have conversations with other parents to bounce ideas or even keep an eye on a child if the child is waiting for a parent to arrive who is running late.

While our children may be "competing" with each other there should be some degree of support and comradery among the parents. I suggest we all take a look while in the waiting room and see if there is a parent off to the side or new to the group. Reach out and say 'hello', offer to have a conversation (gym or other things to lighten the mood), or grab a cup of coffee together.
It's funny but this has actually always been my gym parent experience. My ODD just retired as a level 8 after years at this gym and I will always be close to many of her former teammates' parents. There were definitely the competitive parents who never wanted another kid to beat their own, but most kept it quiet and those who were loud about it, were sort of left to their own devices. We are at a very competitive gym with strict coaching and higher hours, and a culture that has run the gamut from kind to abusive, to somewhere in the middle now, so I can't say that the parent relationships reflect the culture of the gym really. I read a lot of these posts, I'm thinking that maybe I just got lucky!

It's funny but this has actually always been my gym parent experience. My ODD just retired as a level 8 after years at this gym and I will always be close to many of her former teammates' parents. There were definitely the competitive parents who never wanted another kid to beat their own, but most kept it quiet and those who were loud about it, were sort of left to their own devices. We are at a very competitive gym with strict coaching and higher hours, and a culture that has run the gamut from kind to abusive, to somewhere in the middle now, so I can't say that the parent relationships reflect the culture of the gym really. I read a lot of these posts, I'm thinking that maybe I just got lucky!
A lot of it is luck and while I would not make a slight again the gym itself you raised a good point about culture.

Some of this positivity can be communicated from gym management and encouraged. The end result can be great to all involved.

I wouldn’t everyone to be BFFs but it can lead to positive outcomes.

We have lots of new people... just wanted to bump this one up again. Be sure to read the article linked in the first post as well.

What's your biggest CGP moment?

What about the biggest CGP moment you have seen or heard about from another?​

I didn't see this on this first round so now I'll chime in....in one gym we were in, EVERY level 4 & 5 did a minimum of 2 privates (at 75 bucks a pop) every week ...and not surprisingly, I saw the most back fractures I've ever seen in those levels (or any level) , it was 75% of the kids (probably 40-45 in both levels) in hard back braces and the parents thought it was "normal" .....these same parents would ask me how often my multi year Level 10 D1 scholarshipped gymnast did privates coming through the levels and I would say "never" and they thought I was kidding....kid you not

And in our last gym, there was a glass window to see into the gym and one CGM, every single practice that her daughter had, had her nose up against the glass for the whole practice ....like she could see better by smashing up against the glass...and she never left her post ...it was very bizarre.

One of the pre-comp mums was constantly yelling at her 5-year old to pay attention if she even so much as turn her head the wrong way. If the girl's toes weren't pointed enough, some more yelling. Arm out of place? Yep, you guessed it, more yelling. Of course 5-year olds generally aren't that good yet, so plenty yelling. Daughter dear was not allowed to talk to certain kids, as they were considered too disruptive and loud... One day she was joined by one of the older girl's mums, who apparently also enjoyed yelling at her kid. So much fun for their girls. "You'll never win a competition that way" they yelled. "Does it really matter if they win?", I asked. Without any hesitation both of them turned around and yelled "YES" at me.....

Probably not bad compared to some of the crazies out there, but it was quite an eye opener for me. Pre-comp mum and daughter disappeared soon after that, I don't think the mum is missed much.

So, turns out that I'm crazy but mostly in whisper mode. I just discovered this last weekend.

Usually at meets, my kids video one another or the my husband videos but now that my ODD "retired" and has a totally different schedule in her new sports, we have to split up for meets, so I have to video the routines..

And, well, I'm sort of an a$$ as it turns out. A whole lot of quiet sighs, and Oh Gods, and ugh why aren't your legs together etc etc etc. I had to delete the videos and tell my YDD that I messed up the recording since it was a new phone. Crazier than I ever realized!

So, turns out that I'm crazy but mostly in whisper mode. I just discovered this last weekend.

Usually at meets, my kids video one another or the my husband videos but now that my ODD "retired" and has a totally different schedule in her new sports, we have to split up for meets, so I have to video the routines..

And, well, I'm sort of an a$$ as it turns out. A whole lot of quiet sighs, and Oh Gods, and ugh why aren't your legs together etc etc etc. I had to delete the videos and tell my YDD that I messed up the recording since it was a new phone. Crazier than I ever realized!
This made me laugh out loud.

Just saw at a meet....girl didnt warm up beam series crying and visably upset. So coaches scratch her for beam. Parents yell at coaches for scratching her say...just put her up there she will do it....girl cries through whole beam rotation quietly saying to herself through the tears i can do this i can do this i can do this (might be the sadest thing I have seen in gymnsatics to be honest)...they tell the meet director the girl was "sick" but now feels better and they let her compete. Shockingly she did pretty good. This is a higher level optional so in my own humble opinion very dangerous to let her up there like that. Parents look like real gems to me.

I’ve been guilty of this lately! I recorded my iPhone playing the routines on mute with my iPad and then deleted the original videos. I told my daughter there was something wrong with my phone’s audio when I was recording the meet.

Just saw at a meet....girl didnt warm up beam series crying and visably upset. So coaches scratch her for beam. Parents yell at coaches for scratching her say...just put her up there she will do it....girl cries through whole beam rotation quietly saying to herself through the tears i can do this i can do this i can do this (might be the sadest thing I have seen in gymnsatics to be honest)...they tell the meet director the girl was "sick" but now feels better and they let her compete. Shockingly she did pretty good. This is a higher level optional so in my own humble opinion very dangerous to let her up there like that. Parents look like real gems to me.
Well then, I guess I’m crazy too, lol!! I’m not saying any names, but someone I know has gotten pretty anxious about this weekend’s event. It might have been suggested that she scratch, not by her though, but her dad and I disagreed with this decision. She’s physically ready, but I feel like she’s got in her head about debuting as a senior elite. My argument was that her first experience is always going to be stressful and there’s literally no reason to make her sit the bench. She has already qualified to Championships. Travel is minimal (less than 3 hours, drive time). And IMO, if she waits and doesn’t get this out of the way, we will have the same issues next go round. Ultimately, her coaches agreed. I will say that she was never okay with scratching and I think the suggestion upset her even more; however, come Saturday, I might be that parent in the stands yelling at her to just go for it because she has nothing to prove and nothing to lose! Hopefully, what you experienced was a similar situation (behind the scenes) although it doesn’t sound like it.

I’ve been guilty of this lately! I recorded my iPhone playing the routines on mute with my iPad and then deleted the original videos. I told my daughter there was something wrong with my phone’s audio when I was recording the meet.
You can use imovie to strip the audio from a video completely. It’s really neat and quick. Sometimes I replace it with a cool soundtrack just to amuse myself. I don’t tend to sigh, but I have said the occasional very emphatic rude word. Usually when someone else in the background of the video has a nasty crash or fall.

Guilty, but working on this!

It might have been suggested that she scratch, not by her though, but her dad and I disagreed with this decision.
Ya but these are conversations at the gym and I am guessing your kid isnt crying hysterically for like 20 minutes.... at least I hope not :)

You can use imovie to strip the audio from a video completely. It’s really neat and quick. Sometimes I replace it with a cool soundtrack just to amuse myself. I don’t tend to sigh, but I have said the occasional very emphatic rude word. Usually when someone else in the background of the video has a nasty crash or fall.
Great idea!!

My daughters 4 and is in a preschool class. A couple weeks ago while we were waiting for her class to start I heard one of the dads of a kid in her class talking to another parent about how his daughter has a double ear infection and was crying about not wanting to go that day but he made her go anyways because “missing isn’t going to get her any gold medals”

My daughters 4 and is in a preschool class. A couple weeks ago while we were waiting for her class to start I heard one of the dads of a kid in her class talking to another parent about how his daughter has a double ear infection and was crying about not wanting to go that day but he made her go anyways because “missing isn’t going to get her any gold medals”
Poor little girl. Falling because she is ill and her balance is probably off isn't going to win her any gold medals either. She should be home in bed!

You’re right, the level 7-8-9-10 parents don’t stay at practice, ever, the level 6 parents nearly all work second jobs at the gym to help pay for the crazy jump from Compulsories to optionals, and the compulsory parents are nuuuuuts. Why does your 8 year old level 4 have 34 thousand followers on IG? Please stop trying to get me to follow her
SNORT. My tea just went up my nose.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back