MAG Criteria for Moving Up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
From what I have heard, JD is the same requirements, just need fewer skills to make a routine (like 6 instead of 8, or 8 instead of 10...) But I am not 100% sure how that plays out.
So perhaps a kid like mine could do exactly what he was planning to do anyway, and just score higher in JD than JO? I suppose that will keep the daredevils from throwing things they really aren't ready for. DS (and more importantly his coach) wouldn't do that anyway - in fact hard skills warmed up badly or that have not gone well in practice that week are not ALLOWED to be competed on our team - DSs floor took many hits for this last year after his ankle injury.

Perhaps USAG felt some deep abiding reason to put in the age limits - so they added JD to keep the boys from proceeding to kill themselves?? :)

Reactions: sce
At our gym, you need to be competitive at the new level (like top 1/2). Our coach will not move a kid up that he knows will be last on every event. That said, he will move my kid up who will be competitive on 4 events (like top 3 competitive) but will be towards the bottom on the other 2 because that is what he wants. But the expectations for all around placements are spelled out to the kid so they understand the expectations.

It's not that hard to make a set of firm rules... like you must have X number of the skills by ___ date. Or you must score ____ in previous level. Or you must be able to make or hit ___% of your routines in practice, and so on and so forth.

You can also look at age/level, and try to get kids in 'the level they should be based on their age.' ... Or on track to be # level at __age.

There are also intangibles...like, "This kid (or parent) is devastated when he isn't on the award podium." Or, "this kid is never going to master that particular skill, and should just move on." Or, "this kid has been with those other kids his entire career, and doesn't want to be left behind." Or much more simply, "This kid, or family wants to be that level."

At the end of the day, one of the guiding principles advocated by USAG is, "do what's in the best interest of each kid." And that is the criteria that should matter most.

I think there's often a break down when you claim to have a criteria or set of rules, and then don't follow them (perhaps for a good reason), without clearly articulating why that decision was made.

DS (12) started gym late and just finished his second season of L5. He had a rough year due to a lot of growth and some challenges with his coach. Our gym has always required all bonuses to be competition ready prior to moving to the next level. DS still does not have muscle up and struggles on pommel, so the plan was for him to do a 3rd year of L5 this upcoming year. Tonight, his coach told DS that if he can get 20 circles by the end of the summer he will move him up - he also told us that there is will be great motivation to get him to a higher level quickly due to his age. While I do think DS is excited and I think in his case he will be fine to move up, I do hope that these changes don't lead to moving older boys up to higher levels before they are truly ready.

While I do think DS is excited and I think in his case he will be fine to move up, I do hope that these changes don't lead to moving older boys up to higher levels before they are truly ready.

That's been a concern of mine, as well. My DS is still 7, will compete as L5/8y.o. in the coming year, so he's currently "on track." But with the changes, he's gone from being a young-ish competitor to the old side of "normal," which is a bummer. And assuming he stays on his current path, it will work out fine for him - but yes, I do worry that there will be a push to move the older boys up, and that potentially is really crappy for them.

The new system does push to move older boys up quicker than previously (I think too quick in some cases, but it may be that JD will take off and fix that for most regions). DS older did 3 years of L5 waiting for consistent coaching and puberty...then L7, then L8 and would have been set for L9 at 16...but the changes make him count as 17 (end of season birthday) so he must be a L10. He was L5 at 11, 12, and 13 (now would've been called 12, 13, 14), having started gym at 10. Skipping L6 worked well for him - as L7 was small in our state and it really didn't matter that a few events lagged - and his strength had come so he could excel in others. Pushing forward to L10 may end up too much for him (in that he'd have to probably do "just gym" 20+ hours a week to be safe and successful, at an age when that's hard due to high school, etc), so I'm sure your son's coach is thinking about what to do with your son after L7 (which is the last level that older boys can still compete whenever ready, without age restrictions).

Hopefully your son's coach knows him well and will set the best plan that can be made in the present system - and hopefully your son will keep enjoying gym!

Are you allowed to skip levels? Wondering if we will see more of that(coaches skipping levels) with the age group changes this coming year since many kids will lose their oppurtunity to go to nationals. Seems with the age group changes
they are taking a sport that was already focused on the very young as the up and coming talent to making it even younger. My DS who would have had the oppurtunity to go to Nationals in Future Stars this year after training all year has now had that taken from him due to the age group changes and he will not have the oppurtunity to try for nationals now for 3 more years( level 9) because he competes an age older this year and it messes everything up for him. We are so frustrated! He has worked so hard. We were hoping for Future Stars Nationals this year and next year and then the opportunity for Nationals as a level 8. Now all that GONE.

So does he still have one year left of FS? Sounds like he does and might do well. It is frustrating everyone.....so fortunately everyone is in teh same boat :( but we totally empathize with you!

I don't know a lot, but I'm fairly certain I've at least read that boys can only compete at one level per year. I've not heard anyone ever say anything about boys skipping levels, but I'm definitely not an expert. Your son is the example of the kids friend and I were saying could get really messed up by these changes. I hope it all pans out well for him in the end.

Boys can definitely skip levels; at least in our area, just about no one seems to compete level 7 in the previous quad. Before that I think that it was level 8 that normally got skipped. I do really hope that they re-think some of these age things and fix them for the kids. I sort of understand them wanting kids competing their actual age (but now they have kids who are competing as a year older than they are, so they fixed it for some and messed it up for some); but to bump all of these kids up a year in age the same year that they put upper age limits on levels 8 and 9 AND to mess up kids who were training FS and previously were good to compete that, it just makes no sense.

Reactions: sce
My DS who would have had the oppurtunity to go to Nationals in Future Stars this year after training all year has now had that taken from him due to the age group changes and he will not have the oppurtunity to try for nationals now for 3 more years( level 9) because he competes an age older this year and it messes everything up for him. We are so frustrated! He has worked so hard. We were hoping for Future Stars Nationals this year and next year and then the opportunity for Nationals as a level 8. Now all that GONE.

How old is DS? A "2017 age" 9yo is allowed to compete as a 10 yo FS and possibly qualify to FS nationals. However he cannot compete usag levels as a 10 yo. He has to compete L6. He can also make FS nationals as a 10yo again next year, and the following year be eligible for JE 11 yo L8. From your description, this sounds like the case you're dealing with. Secondly, on a "been there-done that" note, planning three years ahead is way too ambitious with these kids. Take it day by day, season by season, and rely on the coaches to make the correct calls. Hopefully, they have the knowledge and ability to have your boy in the correct level at the appropriate time.

KRC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back