Crooked back handsprings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, so I *finally* got my back handspring, which I am very happy about. But I've noticed that at some point during the back handspring, I am twisting to the left. I try really hard to keep straight, and I don't feel myself twisting, but apparently I am because if I do them on a tape line I land right next to the line instead of on it. :(

Also, we went to bars, and while I was waiting in line I did a few. My hands were kind of chalky so I could see my hand prints on the floor. My right hand wasn't parallel to my left; it was farther up, like this:

--------------------right hand
left hand

I can't seem to get my hands to be parallel :( I took a one video of a round off bhs on the tramp and it looked sort of like my left hand was reaching a little farther then my right hand.

This is annoying me because this twisting thing hadn't been happening until a couple of weeks ago. I used to have nice, long, straight back handspring on the tramp and now I don't know what happened, I had even done the chalk thing back then and my hands were parallel... :(

Nine times out of ten, a crooked backhandspring is caused by a crooked roundoff.

A video would help.

Sorry- should have made myself more clear- I'm experiencing this problem mostly with a standing bhs.

My roundoff IS crooked though :/

Interestingly, though, the back handspring itself during the ROBHS seems to be straighter then my standing ones.

I will try to get a video on Thursday.

Sorry- should have made myself more clear- I'm experiencing this problem mostly with a standing bhs.

My roundoff IS crooked though :/

Interestingly, though, the back handspring itself during the ROBHS seems to be straighter then my standing ones.

I will try to get a video on Thursday.

So you're in that other 10%. Interesting... I'd have to see a video to help you, then.

Hi fishchimes,
Do you have the same trouble with back walkovers on a line? Use chalk to see your hand placement on those. Back walkovers are an important skill to have before doing back handsprings. I used to have trouble like you. My RO BHS on a line was fine, but a standing BHS on a line caused me trouble. I was going crooked almost like doing a Miller, (BHS with a 1/4 twist) and I corrected it by improving my shoulder and arm flexibility so when I reached back I had correct form and upper body position upon my hands landing. Also, make sure your arm swing is happening at the right time so you don't have to compensate by doing strange things just to try to make it happen. These are just some suggestions. Like Geoff said, it's hard to tell without seeing a video.

I'm pretty sure my back walkovers are fine, as I've started working them on the beam. xD However, I do keep missing the beam when I reach back... :confused: I wonder if my hips are misaligned or something...?

I was wondering if it had something to do with the arm swing. I'll try to be more conscious of that. Maybe I'll do some without the swing and see what happens. :)

Hmmm

There could be a couple of reasons your back hand springs are crooked: have someone watch your arm swing, do you lean to one side or swing one arm back farther than the other? Also, have you have any injuries lately? If so, you might be subconciously babying an injury and trying not to put weight on it. Flexibility can also be an issue. Try differant stretches on your back and shoulders and see if that helps. Keep us posted on what happens! Good luck!

fishchimes,
My hips are misalined, ones higher than the other, slightly and I can do a straight back walkover and backhandspring on the beam. your back might be misalined thats what happened to my friend and that was why she always missed her hands.

Try to get your other hand to be in front when you're doing your backhandspring. Also have a coach spot you while you have your hands tied together with a bungee so that they can't go one hand infront of the other. The bungee also might pull when you try to make your hands go apart this might help you too.

-Cam, level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back