Crooked standing backhandspring HELP!?!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Teddy1234

Coach
Gymnast
I need help pls ASAP my cheer tryouts are in 2 weeks and my standing backhandspring is crooked like I’m not even looking at one side or anything and my legs are bent to it never was like this like a month ago but it just started pls help me and I’m getting so mad at myself bc I keep trying to go straight but it won’t work

I have several answers. Sorry, but you won't like any of them.

1) This is not something we'll be able to fix without seeing exactly what you're doing wrong

2)This is not the sort of thing we can help you fix over the internet, without being able to coach you in person.

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY this is not the sort of thing that can be fixed in two weeks. It is almost certain that the reason you developed a crooked backhandspring in the first place is that the development of the skill was rushed. Trying to fix it for a 2-week deadline is the exact opposite of how you should be approaching this

4) Please at least attempt correct spelling/grammar/punctuation on the Chalkbucket. We're not gonna be as strict as your English teacher, but this is a community of and for adults, and we expect members to communicate like adults.

5) PURELY HYPOTHETICALLY If I were your coach, it's hard to say what I would do without seeing you and being able to identify the specific issue, but most likely the best approach to fixing this would be to go back to all relevant basics and rebuild from there. You most likely have some underlying asymmetry in either your strength or your muscle memory. Either way, the solution is to look for the most basic skill where the asymmetry appears, patiently work on that until you fix it, and gradually work your way back up from there.
I would go down the following list until I hit a skill that was assymetrical:
-Roll to candlestick
-Backward roll
-Handstand
-Handstand forward roll
-Bridge
-Backbend to a raised surface or to a wall
-Back drop on trampoline
-Back drop pullover on trampoline
-Jumpback
-Handstand snapdown
-1st half of a backhandspring over a barrel, with a spotter to help you stop as soon as your hands contact the floor
-backhandspring to flat belly on a soft mat
-Backhandspring on tumbletrak
I would go down that list in order (in a proper gym with proper matting and qualified coaching), and as soon as you reach a step that you either can't do at all or can't do without going crooked, stay on that step until you perfect it. And I mean PERFECT it. Make it so solid and consistent that you could try it 50 times without missing it or going crooked a single time.
And again, just for emphasis, this must be approached patiently, and under the supervision of a qualified coach. If you try to rush to meet a deadline, then you will make your tumbling worse and possibly catastrophically injure yourself.

I'm sorry if this all comes across as blunt, but I'd rather you be offended than injured. There's always next year's tryouts.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back