Not open for further replies.

ZJsMom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
May 11, 2007
Pacific NW
Country
USA
Funny, but I don't know what the girls wear during the summer. Most of the boys practice with no shirt. I suppose if boys are shirtless it would be fair for girls to wear crop tops, but I don't know if they do.

Reactions: txgymfan

notthatmom

Proud Parent
Jul 6, 2015
Country
USA
I've never seen anyone wear anything other than Leo's and only the really little girls wear shorts sometimes...no idea if there's a rule against it or not. The kids who go for tumbling class usually wear sweats and a t shirt.

D

Deleted member 14190

Leotards only but I was a clinician last year at a camp and half the kids were working out in shorts and sport bra , so a number of gyms apparently allow it. I don't think it matters , just a preference .

raenndrops

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
Leotards only is a personal pet peeve of mine. I understand many female gymnasts associate the sport with leos and can't imagine practicing in anything else.

Personally, I like the look of athletic tops and shorts, not necessarily crop but full length fitted tank tops ( like Jagware or under armor ) but most gyms don't allow them for the girls. Boys of the wear different clothes for practice than for competition and at many gyms boys practice shirtless. They adapt to singlets for competitions without a problem. I don't like or understand the double standard for girls.
We have girls that wear the fitted tanks and shorts, but most wear a leo and shorts. Some try to wear t-shirts, but we have a rule that there is no spotting if you are not properly attired (have had a couple minor coach injuries in the past from gymnast ill-fitting clothing).

Jolette

Proud Parent
Sep 1, 2015
Canada
Country
Canada
A fitted tank looks and is made of the same material as a leo but it's just a top. If that makes sense. I couldn't think of how else to describe it.

fuzi

Coach
Coach
Former Gymnast
Gymnast
Judge
May 28, 2009
Region I
Country
USA
I'd say on any given day 75% of team girls wear leos (shorts and snug capris allowed). The other 25% are wearing fitted tanks with bar shorts. No midriffs showing.

Rec girls mostly wear leos (some with shorts), biketards, and the occasional shorts and tee-shirt. We had one wearing a crop top and bar shorts for a while. She was about 9. We, as coaches, talked among ourselves about how we didn't like the look, but then realized the double standard in telling her to cover-up while the boys were practicing shirtless, so decided not to say anything. We figure girls usually develop enough shame about their bodies without coaches adding to it.

I know of some very well respected gym in hot parts of the country that let their girls practice in sports bras and shorts in the summer.

Reactions: txgymfan

auswi

Proud Parent
Sep 27, 2014
Australia
Country
Australia
In summer way down under in our part of Australia it gets very, very hot.
Croppies are absolutely the favourite thing to wear-here its a safety issue where gymnasts simply overheat if not allowed to wear a crop top.

Generally they start the morning session in a regular leo, then change as the day warms up. Afternoon sessions they usually start in a crop top.

txgymfan

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Relative
Fan
Sep 4, 2008
Houston
Country
USA
Funny, but I don't know what the girls wear during the summer. Most of the boys practice with no shirt. I suppose if boys are shirtless it would be fair for girls to wear crop tops, but I don't know if they do.

Exactly, girls gymnastics shape can't show abs but must show their entire thigh. Boys often show their entire chest but are expected to wear shorts and cover their upper thigh.

Reactions: dmbgymnast

lhmom

Proud Parent
Jul 22, 2010
Region 8
Country
USA
At DD's gym, it's leos (shorts or capris allowed on some events). The older girls are allowed to wear tanks and shorts for Saturday practice but tank has to be form fitting-has to stay put when doing skills. No crop tops allowed there.

azara

Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Jan 16, 2016
Country
Australia
In summer way down under in our part of Australia it gets very, very hot.
Croppies are absolutely the favourite thing to wear-here its a safety issue where gymnasts simply overheat if not allowed to wear a crop top.

Generally they start the morning session in a regular leo, then change as the day warms up. Afternoon sessions they usually start in a crop top.

I'm Australian too, and was reading through this thread very surprised at gyms outright banning crop tops. At my gym, probably 60% or 70% of the girls wear crop tops and 90% wear shorts. I don't understand why you would ban booty shorts which give least some modesty down there, but take great offence to seeing a stomach?

Edited for clarity.

GymMomXcel

Proud Parent
Dec 8, 2012
Country
USA
No crop tops. Yikes! Spotting coaches hands could get all caught up, I'd think. Leotards only.

Gymmommy71

Proud Parent
May 15, 2012
Sports bras only not allowed - think it's a rule for reasons other than just they don't want stomachs exposed but I'm not sure exactly what. Rec kids aren't allowed to wear them either and neither are kids just coming in to do privates.

I think almost everyone wears shorts on top of their leos to practice - especially the older girls (like 11/12+). My DD would probably want to look for a new gym if they ever came out w/ a no shorts at practice policy - lol. And omg the bun requirement for practice to that someone mentioned would probably cause her to leave mid-season! Haha!

Reactions: OzZee

z2akids

Proud Parent
May 19, 2014
Country
USA
I have seen 1 preteam girl who wore the sports brar/shorts combo, but that is it.

Most if the team coaches dont allow shorts on bars, so the girls are pretty well limited to leotards year round

OzZee

Proud Parent
Apr 19, 2012
Country
Australia
Australia as well.
Shorts and crop tops in summer. Shorts and leotards in winter. (If it's particularly cold then leggings and long sleeve Leo.
Also can not understand the banning of shorts, very unfair on older girls in particular.
Oh and there is the very unattractive look on in between days where they wear a crop top under a Leo and when they get hot the roll the Leo down so a nice roll above their shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.