WAG Crop tops/sports bras

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Presstohandstands

Coach
Gymnast
Typically in our gym many of the girls wear "crop tops" instead of leotards. Although leotards are of course still worn often. I was just wondering whether crop tops are allowed instead of leotards at your gym and whether leotards or crops tops are the preferred choice of attire for your gymnasts.

I don't particularly care for them, but we don't have any particular rules against them. We have a few class kids that wear them in the summer and nothing is said, though it would not be allowed for team kids. And I don't think many of my team kids would be interested anyway- I have more of a problem with them wearing too much clothing (sweatshirts, yoga pants, t-shirts) and trying to get them to remove those for practices. I can't imagine many of them wanting to come in even less clothing than a leotard and shorts, I'm certainly not complaining!

As far as the team girls, parents sign a contract that requires gymmies to wear a leotard and a bun....even shorts on top of the leotard are not permitted. Rec girls mainly wear a leotard but a few will wear shorts and a tee shirt.

I'm with gymcoach1, dds HC would have the big one if one of her girls ever wore a crop top in the gym.

Leotards only is a personal pet peeve of mine. I understand many female gymnasts associate the sport with leos and can't imagine practicing in anything else.

Personally, I like the look of athletic tops and shorts, not necessarily crop but full length fitted tank tops ( like Jagware or under armor ) but most gyms don't allow them for the girls. Boys of the wear different clothes for practice than for competition and at many gyms boys practice shirtless. They adapt to singlets for competitions without a problem. I don't like or understand the double standard for girls.

The higher levels (7-10) I have seen them in fitted tanks and bar shorts in the summer or early fall or if not competing. NEVER just a sports bra and shorts. The level 3-6 girls all wear leotards and they are allowed capri (spandex material) or bar shorts during warm-ups. I know both of my girls have said no shorts when 2 weeks out from a meet. So Oct-March pretty much just leos during practice. Some coaches are more strict than others.

The sports bra and Nike pros seem to be more cheer attire than gymnastics, at least around here.

Leotards only, no shorts (or biketards). This goes for pre-team on up. Rec kids can wear pretty much whatever they want EXCEPT crop tops (they have to be covered). Tank tops and shorts are fine for them however, as is tee and leggings etc. we even have a few more extreme religious girls who wear leggings and then long skirts over them. Not ideal, but allowed.
We have had one or two rec kids who showed up in sports bra and booty shorts and they were not allowed to take class that day (or had to change).
Most of the team girls do wear sports bras under their leotards, it's the "cool" thing to do even for the girls who don't need them yet. ;)

Personally I don't have anything against midriff showing, my older Dd wears bra tops and briefs to dance class every day and it doesn't bother me in the least. Just not allowed for gym. :)

Girls can wear what the want at our gym nobody wears just a leotard all have shorts over, some wear crop top and leggings or shorts some t-shorts and shorts with leotard underneath I don't have a problem with it although some of the crop tops are very small

I don't know if there is an actual policy, but I have never seen sports bras with shorts. I agree with @BPD304 that it's more of a cheer thing around here. Our girls are allowed to wear shorts over leos though, and it's probably half and half.

Leotards only is a personal pet peeve of mine. I understand many female gymnasts associate the sport with leos and can't imagine practicing in anything else.

Personally, I like the look of athletic tops and shorts, not necessarily crop but full length fitted tank tops ( like Jagware or under armor ) but most gyms don't allow them for the girls. Boys of the wear different clothes for practice than for competition and at many gyms boys practice shirtless. They adapt to singlets for competitions without a problem. I don't like or understand the double standard for girls.
I am totally fine with athletic type tanks and shorts or leggings for my girls as well as leos. As long as it's fitted so I can see their lines and it's not flying around. We have a few older girls who wear plain camisole type tops and have come dangerously close to "wardrobe malfunctions" but tanks made for athletic type stuff are just fine with me.

our girls wear leos only, can wear shorts, and tanks over them for warm ups. Boys wear tanks/singlets/compression shirts and shorts. They are not allowed to remove shirts until every last girl has left the gym. (coaches included).

I've seen some of our team girls wear them that also do dance, but it's not something you see a lot and usually only in the summer.

For the competitive & pre-competitive girls they wear leos with or without shorts and sometimes I see fitted tanks with shorts as well at the lower levels. They do have official practice suits that they wear on a schedule that depends on the group.

The only time I have seen crop tops are when the dancers come in for their private lessons...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back