WAG Crop tops/sports bras

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Funny, but I don't know what the girls wear during the summer. Most of the boys practice with no shirt. I suppose if boys are shirtless it would be fair for girls to wear crop tops, but I don't know if they do.

I've never seen anyone wear anything other than Leo's and only the really little girls wear shorts sometimes...no idea if there's a rule against it or not. The kids who go for tumbling class usually wear sweats and a t shirt.

Leotards only but I was a clinician last year at a camp and half the kids were working out in shorts and sport bra , so a number of gyms apparently allow it. I don't think it matters , just a preference .

Leotards only is a personal pet peeve of mine. I understand many female gymnasts associate the sport with leos and can't imagine practicing in anything else.

Personally, I like the look of athletic tops and shorts, not necessarily crop but full length fitted tank tops ( like Jagware or under armor ) but most gyms don't allow them for the girls. Boys of the wear different clothes for practice than for competition and at many gyms boys practice shirtless. They adapt to singlets for competitions without a problem. I don't like or understand the double standard for girls.
We have girls that wear the fitted tanks and shorts, but most wear a leo and shorts. Some try to wear t-shirts, but we have a rule that there is no spotting if you are not properly attired (have had a couple minor coach injuries in the past from gymnast ill-fitting clothing).

A fitted tank looks and is made of the same material as a leo but it's just a top. If that makes sense. I couldn't think of how else to describe it.

I'd say on any given day 75% of team girls wear leos (shorts and snug capris allowed). The other 25% are wearing fitted tanks with bar shorts. No midriffs showing.

Rec girls mostly wear leos (some with shorts), biketards, and the occasional shorts and tee-shirt. We had one wearing a crop top and bar shorts for a while. She was about 9. We, as coaches, talked among ourselves about how we didn't like the look, but then realized the double standard in telling her to cover-up while the boys were practicing shirtless, so decided not to say anything. We figure girls usually develop enough shame about their bodies without coaches adding to it.

I know of some very well respected gym in hot parts of the country that let their girls practice in sports bras and shorts in the summer.

In summer way down under in our part of Australia it gets very, very hot.
Croppies are absolutely the favourite thing to wear-here its a safety issue where gymnasts simply overheat if not allowed to wear a crop top.

Generally they start the morning session in a regular leo, then change as the day warms up. Afternoon sessions they usually start in a crop top.

Funny, but I don't know what the girls wear during the summer. Most of the boys practice with no shirt. I suppose if boys are shirtless it would be fair for girls to wear crop tops, but I don't know if they do.

Exactly, girls gymnastics shape can't show abs but must show their entire thigh. Boys often show their entire chest but are expected to wear shorts and cover their upper thigh.

At DD's gym, it's leos (shorts or capris allowed on some events). The older girls are allowed to wear tanks and shorts for Saturday practice but tank has to be form fitting-has to stay put when doing skills. No crop tops allowed there.

In summer way down under in our part of Australia it gets very, very hot.
Croppies are absolutely the favourite thing to wear-here its a safety issue where gymnasts simply overheat if not allowed to wear a crop top.

Generally they start the morning session in a regular leo, then change as the day warms up. Afternoon sessions they usually start in a crop top.

I'm Australian too, and was reading through this thread very surprised at gyms outright banning crop tops. At my gym, probably 60% or 70% of the girls wear crop tops and 90% wear shorts. I don't understand why you would ban booty shorts which give least some modesty down there, but take great offence to seeing a stomach?

Edited for clarity.

Sports bras only not allowed - think it's a rule for reasons other than just they don't want stomachs exposed but I'm not sure exactly what. Rec kids aren't allowed to wear them either and neither are kids just coming in to do privates.

I think almost everyone wears shorts on top of their leos to practice - especially the older girls (like 11/12+). My DD would probably want to look for a new gym if they ever came out w/ a no shorts at practice policy - lol. And omg the bun requirement for practice to that someone mentioned would probably cause her to leave mid-season! Haha!

I have seen 1 preteam girl who wore the sports brar/shorts combo, but that is it.

Most if the team coaches dont allow shorts on bars, so the girls are pretty well limited to leotards year round

Australia as well.
Shorts and crop tops in summer. Shorts and leotards in winter. (If it's particularly cold then leggings and long sleeve Leo.
Also can not understand the banning of shorts, very unfair on older girls in particular.
Oh and there is the very unattractive look on in between days where they wear a crop top under a Leo and when they get hot the roll the Leo down so a nice roll above their shorts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back