Parents Cute points??? Do they exist?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

With YG, the problem is that her form wasn't the greatest on what she was adding in (she had at least 4 seconds, sometimes more... and was doing whatever came to mind). In that extra time, all she was doing was lowering her score. The one that I have recorded that I can readily find, she lost at least 0.5 in the time after she had all of her requirements finished.
Ahh gotcha

In my experience gymnastics judges aren't very influenced by the gymnasts physical appearance when it comes to scoring - they may gush and smile about how cute some of them are, but in the end I don't really think they are going to give them extra 10ths on the score because of it.

I actually really like that gymnastics is this way - my DD has done competitive dance, and that system is VERY much about physical appearance (which really doesn't send a good message to growing girls IMO
:().

I think the overall skill level at the session, and the order of performance, have a subjective affect on scores a lot more than anything related to the gymnasts' appearance.

There are not "cuteness points" per se, but the compulsory code does have .15 for "quality of expression" (projection, emotion, focus) as well as .15 for "Quality of movement" to reflect the style of music. This is for beam and floor. I imagine that cute smiles, eye contact, etc will help you get the quality of expression points. I don't think that pigtails or sparkles will.

I think a tiny effect is present, but not a lot. I do know that my DD can just about always sell her floor routine, and she gets praise at the gym for being the only one to smile at times. I wouldn't say she's cute per se, and she's not among the younger gymnasts, but you can tell that she absolutely loves what she's doing.

There are not "cuteness points" per se, but the compulsory code does have .15 for "quality of expression" (projection, emotion, focus) as well as .15 for "Quality of movement" to reflect the style of music. This is for beam and floor. I imagine that cute smiles, eye contact, etc will help you get the quality of expression points. I don't think that pigtails or sparkles will.
The judge at our girls mock meet told them about .2 points for the above.

In other words 2 girls being equal but one sells it better, she will score .2 higher

^^^ ...and my kid has all sorts of form issues, which she's working soooo hard on. But the first meet is in 2&1/2 weeks and we've only been at this gym for 4&1/2 months, so if her big cheesy grin gets her 0.15 or 0.2 or whatever, I'll take it! Lol!

My little one got cute points once. Old L4. Fell on bar routine TWICE! 5 girls in her division. She scored an 8.6, one tenth below 4th place! Now, by the code of points, those 2 falls cost her a whole point......we have yet to experience a 9.6 on bars in any of the levels.....

I love the idea of really "selling" a routine. My dd has a more upbeat floor routine this year that she gets really into, tons of spunk and personality and it's very entertaining, but it doesn't seem to help her score at all. (although we've only done an in house meet so far this season.) Even though the audience loved it and she really brought down the house her score was about half a point lower than her more classical floor routine scored all season long last year. Now this could obviously be due to competing different/harder skills as well, and could be a coincidence. But I don't always get the feeling that gymnastics judges care for personality in routines. I'm sure this changes in the optional levels as I've seen some very entertaining routines that score really well. (we are Xcel so that's why she gets to have different routines every year.)

I think you hit the nail on the head!

My dd is level 7, 11 years old. She scores higher on floor when she smiles and acts like she's having fun. (Dd is very serious, which can be perceived as miserable-even though she loves gymnastics more than just about anything).

So, imo, there is a "selling it" factor.

If it comes naturally, great. If not, do you really want your kid focusing on whether or not she is maintaining a good looking smile on her face or landing her BHS with her legs together and keeping her knees straight??

Don't confuse correlation with causation. A child who has all the skills in the routine well under control has the luxury of thinking about what her face looks like, and a child who's generally doing well with skills is more likely to look confident and positive.

If it comes naturally, great. If not, do you really want your kid focusing on whether or not she is maintaining a good looking smile on her face or landing her BHS with her legs together and keeping her knees straight??

Don't confuse correlation with causation. A child who has all the skills in the routine well under control has the luxury of thinking about what her face looks like, and a child who's generally doing well with skills is more likely to look confident and positive.
Again it really does depend on the kid.

My kid is the kid that executes her skills sharp. Yep she is the one with the legs together, knees straight sticks the landing. And very confident about it.

And she is the serious looking one, who is told repeatedly by her coach to look up. One of her coaches actually gave her homework, watch the college girls on TV, they know how to sell it.

I know it was why she took second (with a mid 9) at her last meet instead of first.

Now she was fine with second, me too. But I know what made the difference

My youngest always scores high on floor and her coaches say she gets "cutie points" because she is always smiling during her routine. In fact at one meet the judges completed feedback cards and her card for two events referenced her being so cute and loving her smile. They encouraged her to continue smiling.

It has a lot to do with proper music selection for the age and look in optionals. Example: a 9 year old who is very tall and is a great balletic dancer and looks older could sell different music than a 11 year old who is powerful yet tiny and petite. One would choose different music and choreography to cater to each individual child. Another glowing example is Ragan Smith. She is 14, does not look it at all and has a much younger looking floor routine with outstanding leaps and tumbling. Compare that to the balletic style of Gabby Perea who is around the same age and very fluid with more ballet technique within her routine. Both are amazing and score well with routines catered to their strengths. Cute points don't exist per say, but selling a routine that is age appropriate and fits your style will score better at any level of optionals or elite.

Effectively selling a floor or beam routine can be done at any age or physical size - that's not really cuteness points IMO. To me cuteness points would mean a really tiny 8 year old who looks like she's a 4 year old version of Cindy Brady getting a better score than a 5'4" 12 year old who looks like a grown up on an identically performed compulsory bar routine. Basically getting a higher score solely on the fact that one is adorable and tiny - I don't think this happens.

Are boys also graded on this same criteria? Are they expected to smile and stuff?

I'm new to gymnastics so this is all news to me.

My youngest always scores high on floor and her coaches say she gets "cutie points" because she is always smiling during her routine. In fact at one meet the judges completed feedback cards and her card for two events referenced her being so cute and loving her smile. They encouraged her to continue smiling.
And there it is rearing it's head again...the 'smile...'
(This is not being snarky btw)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back