Parents Dadgumit!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m sure all kids are different, but for Puma Jr, less is more, less is more, less is more...if she is frustrated to lose something or regress I have to totally downplay it. “You had it once, you’ll get it back, it’s all good...” then done. No more conversation, I don’t bring it up again. So far so good? She’s not into super high skillls yet though, so who knows what the future holds. As much as we talk about gymnastics, we really don’t talk much about HER gymnastics. Only if she brings it up. It kills me sometimes and I may bite my tongue off at some point, but I’ve learned the hard way that it’s better this way. Less stress for her, and that lessens my stress too (ok, just a little LOL). But again, that’s just my kid!

I have been thinking about the loss of skills. I think every gymnast goes through this to some degree. I think the idea of school as an added stressor has merit. School has returned my DD to normal, for her I think it is the return of the schedule that soothed her progress. After speaking to her I think summer practice was a letdown, she was hoping for "new skills galore". She got a few but was disappointed that practice was more conditioning that skill acquisition. She was also contemplating changing gyms that change would have required homeschool.

As stress goes I am again the outsider, I do not think speaking about skill loss or any other gymnastic item is bad. To avoid the bear in the room does not teach coping skills or life lessons. To hide worry within and not express it is never a good thing. Just because they look happy on the outside does not mean they are happy. Teaching my daughter to talk about and how to cope with problems is my approach. I think you can speak to kids and not apply pressure. It is easy to ask questions and give support and advice. I find when they are happy and excited about something they can not stop talking. When they are down and upset the words are few.

I’m sure all kids are different, but for Puma Jr, less is more, less is more, less is more...if she is frustrated to lose something or regress I have to totally downplay it. “You had it once, you’ll get it back, it’s all good...” then done. No more conversation, I don’t bring it up again. So far so good? She’s not into super high skillls yet though, so who knows what the future holds. As much as we talk about gymnastics, we really don’t talk much about HER gymnastics. Only if she brings it up. It kills me sometimes and I may bite my tongue off at some point, but I’ve learned the hard way that it’s better this way. Less stress for her, and that lessens my stress too (ok, just a little LOL). But again, that’s just my kid!
Not just ur kid.
YG had a squat on for maybe 2 weeks her entire life. Normally she doesnt stress about it. She is happy if she gets "close" - meaning 1 foot on the bar. HC and I were just talking about her squat on last night (she wasnt anywhere close enough to hear, but even if she had, it wouldnt have been bad). HC knows that YG has a long torso - she even said it last night. We were talking about the time she DID have it was when she had a growth spurt that only affected her arms and legs ... once her torso caught up (the following week), she lost it again.
We now have a "test" in the gym and girls who don't "pass" aren't allowed to STRESS about the squat on ... but they still work on them like YG does - they just cant get frustrated that they don't get it as easily as some.

I’m sure all kids are different, but for Puma Jr, less is more, less is more, less is more...if she is frustrated to lose something or regress I have to totally downplay it.!
Mine too, it’s you get it when you get it.

She got a few but was disappointed that practice was more conditioning that skill acquisition.

Conditioning is what gets them new skills. As our coach says, it’s the difference between doing “gymnastics” and doing tricks.

And that conditions and drills when pulled all together becomes a skill. Without it upper optional skills can’t be done. Or at least done safely.

I would be leary of any gym that didn’t emphasize conditioning

Agreed, but five five hour practices a week offers ample time conditioning and skill acquisition. It's questionable how much atp is available for intense lengthy workouts.

TDBHSOB (That da*n backhandspring on beam)! Dd worked all summer (really since last summer) to finally get it on the high beam without a pad about 2 weeks ago. Guess where it went? Who knows, because I sure don't. She suddenly can't do it and is back to working it on the line on the floor.

Le sigh.

First it was just TDBHS. Then TDK. She's still working through TDCHS. Right now I'm just pretending my kid doesn't even do gymnastics, to keep myself from asking her questions. She just mysteriously disappears for 4 hours every day.

I swear, this sport. o_O Gimme your best TD... story. Misery loves company! LOL
TDBHSOB (That da*n backhandspring on beam)! Dd worked all summer (really since last summer) to finally get it on the high beam without a pad about 2 weeks ago. Guess where it went? Who knows, because I sure don't. She suddenly can't do it and is back to working it on the line on the floor.

Le sigh.

First it was just TDBHS. Then TDK. She's still working through TDCHS. Right now I'm just pretending my kid doesn't even do gymnastics, to keep myself from asking her questions. She just mysteriously disappears for 4 hours every day.

I swear, this sport. o_O Gimme your best TD... story. Misery loves company! LOL

Until it’s consistent, it’s illusive and takes time to master. I was told by a coach never to stop practicing back walkovers because so many girls at some point experience the fear of traveling backwards and the basics are necessary to get them used to the process again!

Until it’s consistent, it’s illusive and takes time to master. I was told by a coach never to stop practicing back walkovers because so many girls at some point experience the fear of traveling backwards and the basics are necessary to get them used to the process again!
But back walkovers are bad for the back... so a lot of coaches (smart ones) limit the numbers. Neither of my gymmies are are allowed to do more than 5 per practice (max). OG is out of the gym again (at least for now). YG only does BWO when they are doing lines on floor with the entire team. She does one "pass" of them going down and then does an alternative skill if they do them going back. We have at least 7 girls that are in the same boat (depending on the day and who comes to practice, it ranges from 5-10 girls that are on limited BWO).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back