Dance leaps/split jumps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
How do they get so flexible in the air. I have my splits all the way down. But I can't do a scorpion or big split jumps or leaps or hold my leg up.

To start off, a scorpion requires a lot of back flexibility. But that doesn't mean stretch your back all the time. Stretching your back a lot is not safe, because not everybody's back has enough laxity. Do not force anything, because that's how injuries happen. And as for leaps and jumps, work on oversplits LITTLE BY LITTLE. Plus, they require a fair amount of leg muscle

Also even though you may have a split on the ground, it doesn't mean you have your hips square. If you or someone else can bend your knee so your foot is pointing to the ceiling and it points inward, your hips aren't square

Also even though you may have a split on the ground, it doesn't mean you have your hips square. If you or someone else can bend your knee so your foot is pointing to the ceiling and it points inward, your hips aren't square
My coaches make sure my hips are squared. Thanks for the tips! I need to work on shoulder and back flexibility if you have any tips other than backbends.

Splits on the floor is a passive flexibility, for leaps and jumps you need power in the muscles that lift the legs to the front (mainly hip flexors) and back (mainly glutes). You could practice by standing holding a barre or chair and lifting your leg up quickly to the front, and then practice to the back. You could also practice split jumps on a trampoline, once you are getting a good split, try it from a smaller and smaller bounce. You could also lie on your back with your hips supported by a bolster or pillows and do scissor splits, starting slow then speeding up. Make sure you are well warmed up when doing any of these. Holding the leg up requires a different kind of strength.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back