Parents Daughter has to repeat a level and is really bummed-any advice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hemigirl82

Proud Parent
My daughter who is 9 had a fractured arm last season and that and a few other factors has led to her having to repeat her (Canadian) Level 2 this year. She is really down about it and feels like her coaches are disappointed even though the head coach had a chat with her about it not being a bad thing at all. She feels like she is being left behind by her friends and isn't enjoying being mixed with the younger kids even though at her gym she really isn't much older than the average for her level. I can't change any of this but I don't want her to quit just because of one setback. She used to love gymnastics and I keep trying to remind her that this is a good opportunity to ace this level and win lots of medals:p I don't mean this to pressure her just to encourage and give her something good to look forward to out of the bad.
Any advice on what I can say or do to help? Does anyone know of any top gymnasts who had to repeat as well?

I don't know for sure of any top gymnasts that had to repeat levels, but didn't it take FOREVER for Shawn Johnson to get her kip? Surely that held her back quite a bit for awhile.

Hugs to your dd. It's not easy, especially when it feels like everyone else is moving on, but if she keeps her head down (meaning, don't worry about what others are doing) and does HER work, she'll progress and move forward like she's supposed to. And yes, winning medals doesn't hurt! My dd has repeated and the second year was such a confidence boost!

My daughter who is 9 had a fractured arm last season and that and a few other factors has led to her having to repeat her (Canadian) Level 2 this year. She is really down about it and feels like her coaches are disappointed even though the head coach had a chat with her about it not being a bad thing at all. She feels like she is being left behind by her friends and isn't enjoying being mixed with the younger kids even though at her gym she really isn't much older than the average for her level. I can't change any of this but I don't want her to quit just because of one setback. She used to love gymnastics and I keep trying to remind her that this is a good opportunity to ace this level and win lots of medals:p I don't mean this to pressure her just to encourage and give her something good to look forward to out of the bad.
Any advice on what I can say or do to help? Does anyone know of any top gymnasts who had to repeat as well?

Most higher level optionals have repeated at least one level. My current Level 9 repeated 4, and will definitely repeat 9. It doesn't matter what level you are as long as you are enjoying the sport and gaining new skills. And all the girls who stick with it will compete against each other at level 10.

My son (then 10) was really bummed about having to repeat a level last year plus having to do the no bonus division (a new thing for USA boys last year-basically in practice it almost meant he not only repeated but went backwards in difficulty a tiny bit.) I was so worried because when he first found out from the coach he cried about it and he is NOT typically a crier over such things. Turns out he just needed time to process the disappointment and was soon fine, plus he had a fantastic season and that certainly took away the sting.

My dd has repeated levels a few times. She did old L6 and then couldn't get giants (a requirement at our gym for L7), so she had to go back to new L5 (levels changed, our gym wasn't doing 6). That was the hardest one. Every one of her friends moved on to L7 but her.

She is now on her 3rd year of L8. Her first year, she was injured most of the year, so didn't have a very good season. Last year she rocked it. This year she was struggling to get all her L9 skills and was so stressed and about to quit that SHE chose to repeat L8.

What we have both learned from this (and from many other struggles she has had with this sport through the past 12 years) is that she has to do it for herself. Yes, she has great friends at the gym, but if she isn't doing the sport for her own love of it and on her own terms, no matter what anyone else is doing, she probably shouldn't be doing it.

My DD almost had to repeat 3 last year but ended up getting moved to 4. It was a very challenging year with a LOT of tears. Did she learn a lot about working hard and going out to give her best when she knew she would still be playing catch up to most of the other kids? Yes. Did she learn the world wouldn't end if she didn't do well? Yes. But it was really tough to watch as a parent.
This year when her coaches told her she'd be repeating 4 instead of moving to 5, they said her whole body screamed of relief. Her whole outlook on training changed, instead of being stressed out and trying to catch up, she is happy and working hard and making progress. SHE is glad to be repeating after last year. It's an interesting perspective to have.
I would just do your best of trying to sell it to your daughter as a great chance for her to be successful and be a leader, and that in a couple of years it won't matter- she may be back with the original kids, or even past them, or not even doing gymnastics at all. :) This is her chance to shine and uptrain without the stress of competing new stuff. I know it's tough, but it can be a really good thing.

My dd has repeated levels a few times. She did old L6 and then couldn't get giants (a requirement at our gym for L7), so she had to go back to new L5 (levels changed, our gym wasn't doing 6). That was the hardest one. Every one of her friends moved on to L7 but her.

She is now on her 3rd year of L8. Her first year, she was injured most of the year, so didn't have a very good season. Last year she rocked it. This year she was struggling to get all her L9 skills and was so stressed and about to quit that SHE chose to repeat L8.

What we have both learned from this (and from many other struggles she has had with this sport through the past 12 years) is that she has to do it for herself. Yes, she has great friends at the gym, but if she isn't doing the sport for her own love of it and on her own terms, no matter what anyone else is doing, she probably shouldn't be doing it.
Yes. And level 8 is a beast itself, and a tempermental one at that. I fully expect my child to hang out at this level for a few years. The beauty of this level (and beyond) is that you can increase your level of difficulty within the level, so you dont feel like you are just doimg the same routines each year.
Op you have been givem great advice. Hope she rocks it this season!

Yes. And level 8 is a beast itself, and a tempermental one at that. I fully expect my child to hang out at this level for a few years. The beauty of this level (and beyond) is that you can increase your level of difficulty within the level, so you dont feel like you are just doimg the same routines each year.
Op you have been givem great advice. Hope she rocks it this season!
Not to hijack, but yes, that's what she is doing. She will be putting some L9 skills into her routines this year, but without pressure. And our coach said once the pressure was off where she HAD to get those skills, she's been improving more than ever!

My daughter is 10 and went through this last year. She worked hard throughout the year but ultimately did not move up to Level 4, with her biggest challenge being bars and getting her kip. She was disappointed because most of the team moved up, and she was sad to not be with her friends. She was thinking about quitting, so I encouraged her to explore other options. She tried a practice with the Xcel team, took a ballet class over the summer, and ultimately decided to stay in Level 3 for the second year. Now she is competing her kip, bars went from her worst event last year to her best this year, and at her last meet she scored above 9 on every event. She has so much more confidence and she said she's happy to be at the top of Level 3 than the bottom of Level 4. I think next year will still be a challenge for her, but she will be much better than if she had moved up this year. It's a hard thing for them to go through and I think you just have to support her and let her see the benefits over time. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back