Parents Daughter with mental block on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Having dealt with a painful year of a mental block last year with my DD, which Pretty much followed the textbook timeline ( balking on floor, then beam, then bars ....), I definitely feel parent's pain on here when they post about mental blocks .
The main problem with gymnastics and mental blocks is this - while parents on CB are more likely to be invested in their child's well being ( hence getting on CB to research mental blocks), there is NO guarantee the child with the block is being coached by a coach who is addressing the block appropriately. I would be willing to bet that for every gymnastics coach invested enough to research mental blocks and get on CB, there are 7 who already think they know it all.

As parents, our job is to educate ourselves enough to make sure our children are being coached effectively. And when there are problems, that the problems are being dealt with appropriately.

If your child had a learning disability, would you stand by while your child's teacher handled it, no questions asked? No. You would educate yourself, and make sure that your child's teacher was handling it in an appropriate way - without adding undue pressure to your child. That's why you need to be able to communicate effectively with your child's coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back