Parents DD is starting to show signs of anxiety, pressure...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Also may want to remember that 11 is hard outside of the gym too. My 14 year old DD and I often look at each other when she is stressed and both say "middle school sucks". For most girls, it just does. She may be feeling a lot of stress around things that have nothing to do with actual gymnastics. Missing out on school stuff for gym. Harder class assignments or tests. More "teasing" from friends (or frienimies). Getting her period. Not getting her period. Friends getting their periods. Pressure to be "in" at school. Comments about clothes, hair, body... The list of things that "aren't right" at this age is practically endless and always seem to result in tears. If she is starting to notice puberty changes, she may be worried about how that will impact her gymnastics. And if she isn't but her friends/teammates are then that may be bad too. I think we've been through all of this in the last three years. I hate to say it, but welcome to the tween roller coaster, and expect it to be worse before it gets better. But she is voicing her stress to you and that is *great*!!! Make yourself available. If you have de-stressing strategies that work, share them. Someone like a therapest who can offer advise that doesn't sound like a criticism or command is also a great thing. Seems like you are on the right path -- now you just have to stay the course.

Also may want to remember that 11 is hard outside of the gym too. My 14 year old DD and I often look at each other when she is stressed and both say "middle school sucks". For most girls, it just does. She may be feeling a lot of stress around things that have nothing to do with actual gymnastics. Missing out on school stuff for gym. Harder class assignments or tests. More "teasing" from friends (or frienimies). Getting her period. Not getting her period. Friends getting their periods. Pressure to be "in" at school. Comments about clothes, hair, body... The list of things that "aren't right" at this age is practically endless and always seem to result in tears. If she is starting to notice puberty changes, she may be worried about how that will impact her gymnastics. And if she isn't but her friends/teammates are then that may be bad too. I think we've been through all of this in the last three years. I hate to say it, but welcome to the tween roller coaster, and expect it to be worse before it gets better. But she is voicing her stress to you and that is *great*!!! Make yourself available. If you have de-stressing strategies that work, share them. Someone like a therapest who can offer advise that doesn't sound like a criticism or command is also a great thing. Seems like you are on the right path -- now you just have to stay the course.
"Middle School Sucks"....just happened to hear this from a parent in the gym yesterday with pretty much the same reasons. Not something to look forward to.

I'm not sure I would go to the sports psychologist yet. Not over one meltdown. HOPES is a very tough path. I would expect a meltdown from time to time. If you see a pattern or mood/behavior change over a period of time, then I would consider the sports psychologist. You have mentioned a video was submitted to the invite camp, training hopes/level 9, and she's still in school. That's a heck of a lot for an 11 year old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back