Parents DD made her Kip last night...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

starmaker

She was so happy! She came running out with that look in her as if she has something really important to tell me. She can't seem to contain herself. I think she wanted me to guess but she just came out and said it. I was so happy for her. I love seeing her so excited when all her hard work finally pays off. All but 2 girls on her L4 team have their kip. She was also excited about ringing the bell and then had to demonstrate her new skill to the whole gym. She told me later in the car she could do it with straight arms. All she had to do was "pull her pants up" and up she went. She also said she made her kip but doesn't have it yet. I asked her what the difference was and she said she has to do it over and over again consistently to have it. I am so proud of her. Now if we could just find the brakes on that mill circle we would be good to go.

I haven't seen yet but on saturday after tops I am going to try to get her to do it and I'll video it and post it ASAP.

That's wonderful news on such a big skill. I like her take on making versus having, I shall tell my youngest that one a sshe is right between them both!

Tell her CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

So little to get such a huge skill! Love her attitude and the whole have and made. Too cute. Tell her wow, we are proud of her and impressed!

YAY OLIVIA!!!

That is wonderful, very exciting news! How awesome! It's just so great when their hard work pays off - when they finally get that skill they've been working so hard on, the sense of accomplishment that they have, and the big smile that makes it all worth it. :D

Congrats!

She also said she made her kip but doesn't have it yet. I asked her what the difference was and she said she has to do it over and over again consistently to have it. I am so proud of her.
Well, to me that is more impressive than having the kip for the first time. One has to do with the skill itself and the other is the attitude. The skill everyone will get eventually but the latter some will never get. I would be so proud as well. Sounding corny enough?

Now if we could just find the brakes on that mill circle we would be good to go.
Just remember, once you get by L4, the mill circle will never have to dealt with again. How about that for positive thinking?;)

Thank you all for all the nice comments! Last night I called a few on my friend and relatives to share the good news except none really GOT it. lol! I had to share with people who understood what a huge milestone this was. Just another reason why I love CB!

DD has always had a hard time claiming to HAVE a skill. For instance she was throwing perfect or near perfect ROBHS on the tumble trac for a long time but would refuse or would get upset when I would say she HAD her ROBHS. She would quickly correct me and say: "no I don't have it only on the tumble trac etc." Like last night I saw the last few minutes of class and she was doing ROBHS BT the tuck looked more like a layout than a tuck but I thought it was great so I said something to that effect. She told me that what she did was all wrong!!:rolleyes: She can be so tough on herself. I did like her attitude about making it vs. having it. She keep breaking down for me what she was doing differently. I think she was trying not to forget. All she kept saying was: "Mama I pulled up my pants and I was up on the bar just like that with straight arms and all." She had made a few months ago but she would muscle up. I think she was surprised she really didn't NEED to muscle up.

As far as her Mill Circle.......
I know it's a silly skill that will never be used again but I'd like her to get it back and do well at states. Besides she still has all spring season as a level 4 too. And we don't know if they will even move her up. Her AA scores haven't been so great!

YEAH! It's a good thing to have and she should be so happy, probably more important that learning how to put the brakes on the silly mill circle, because after L4 you'll never have to worry about that skill again! CONGRATS!

And we don't know if they will even move her up. Her AA scores haven't been so great!

You are right about the "who know's" thing, because there's no telling the future, or reading coach's minds...BUT...I've seen lots of kids who weren't "blow me outta the water amazing" level 4s who have gone on to receive HUGE scores at level 5 6 7 or 8...Level 4 is just the beginning.

Your kid has really got it goin' on with her gymnastics and would be a huge asset to whichever level team she competes next season - especially with her attitude. She will probalby fly through compulsories! ;) Olivia rocks !

She is such a mature little 6 year old. :) I know she will eventually figure out how to put the brakes on her mill circle. And I cannot imagine that they would keep her a 4. By the end of Spring season, she is going to be ROCKIN'!!!

Abby says to use your thumbs to stop yourself. She says her thumb is behind the bar during the mill circle and that she brings it over to stop herself when she gets to the top. :)

That is some news! Not an easy skill especially for one so young. Liv you rock! Can't wait to see the video! She is going to do great at states!

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one of the best days ever when your child gets her kip:)
I was on cloud 9 for days after Emily got hers:)

Thank all for all your nice comments! I AM trying to stay positive but it's so hard to tell what the coaches might decide to do with dd considering we are at a new gym. But you are right, NotAMom, we need to stay positive and focus on the here and now and not try to project months in the future. Either way I trust her coaches will decide what is her best interest. She has gym tonight and Olivia is looking forward to connecting her kip into a cast backhip circle like the rest of her team. I'll try to sneak a video clip of it.

Melmonette,
Olivia has been on cloud nine ever since! She also gets a kick out of me calling her Kipster! She just grins from ear to ear. And Julia happened to learn her dip in ice skating the same night so I was calling Dipster. I am so proud of my Kipster and Dipster!!!! heehee

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so behind in posting! YEAH to Olivia on getting her kip! So exciting! Such a major and big skill for such a little girl. She is so awesome! Can you please send the kip fairy to Kylie? She is thisclose to getting it, but it is being very elusive!

Try not to worry about State, she is going to do great! She just gets better and better in each video and you can just see her confidence growing. I'll let you know when we get our State schedule! Have a great week-end!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back