Parents DD will not be competing next fall

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onebusymama

Proud Parent
We just got finished with a team meeting and our gym has decided to not compete until level 4 (the new level 4/ old 5). I was excited about that bc my DD is currently on pre team and is considered lvl 2. They will break up the pre team into 2 separate groups (since there are tons of lvl 2 &3), So our new schedule begins this summer when the level (new/old) level changes. My DD will be in the "red" group (lowest pre team). The "blue" group will not compete either, but these girls are a bit better. The coaches said they will continue to up train and will evaluate the gymnasts through out the yr. I think this is a great plan. I do not see the need to go to competitions for the lower levels. HOWEVER, it seems like I am the only parent that is happy about this! The parents are having a fit about which group their DD is in and upset that their DD won't be competing & "what's the point of doing this sport" & so on... I have a feeling the gym will lose some girls bc of these unhappy parents. Should I be upset that my DD isn't competing and probably won't for another 2 yrs? Is this common for gyms to do this now that the levels are changing?

My gymmie did pre-team from ages 7-9 and competed her 1st season at L5. The 1st meet was a little bit of a reality shock, but the newbies adjusted and did quite well. I wouldn't be upset at all---enjoy another year or so of having more time free and spending less money!

I can see benefits to starting competition at either (new) Level 3 or Level 4. I have mixed feelings about starting at new Level 4, but overall it's a good idea if you can make it through the years of preteam. I keep hearing how useless so many of the Level 3 skills are - such as shoot through/mill circle/handstand flatback vault. There is something to gain by competing Level 3, but it may be a better use of time to train Level 4 skills. Those kips and the "real" vault take a long time! :)

My current Lvl 9 was the same as GymLawMom's; pre-team and then to Lvl 5 (oh so many years ago!). To the OP, count your blessings and relish in the thought that a solid foundation is being built without the pressure of competitions. The parents that are complaining about the lack of meets and questioning why they are doing the sport will be gone in a short amount of time. This crazy sport takes an eternity to build the foundation. This is your first test toward building the trust that I so often harp on - you have to trust that the coaches know what they are doing. To those that do trust will come the rewards. Hang in there and enjoy the meet-free season.

Good Luck.

I agree, don't be upset. These parents are upset yet they have never been through a competition season yet. If they are upset about not having their daughters compete the new level 3/ old level 4 and spend all those meet fees along with coaches fees for each meet, then the complete leo package when they can spend that time up-training for the new level 4 and compete then.
If I were you I would wait. I know prices are different based upon where you live but just as a guide
For our level 4 season (old level 4)
Meet fees (including coaches fees) for entire season- 7 meets including sectionals and state (not travel expenses) was- $1500
Leotard package- including 1 competition leo, 1 warm up outfit, 1- hair scrunchie, and gym bag- $700
So you may want to go back and let those parents who are upset know that training an extra year isn't so bad.

I agree, don't be upset. These parents are upset yet they have never been through a competition season yet. If they are upset about not having their daughters compete the new level 3/ old level 4 and spend all those meet fees along with coaches fees for each meet, then the complete leo package when they can spend that time up-training for the new level 4 and compete then.
If I were you I would wait. I know prices are different based upon where you live but just as a guide
For our level 4 season (old level 4)
Meet fees (including coaches fees) for entire season- 7 meets including sectionals and state (not travel expenses) was- $1500
Leotard package- including 1 competition leo, 1 warm up outfit, 1- hair scrunchie, and gym bag- $700
So you may want to go back and let those parents who are upset know that training an extra year isn't so bad.

ITA agree with everyone, no reason to compete before new L4. Enjoy your weekends.

But HOLY COW.
Around here for L4 (new L3) comp, no sectionals that I'm aware, we generally pay around $500/year and our gym pays $200 for the clothes and gear, which is the same items you get. Goodness gracious. Sakes alive. Can your outfit be melted down into ingots after season?

Training is what makes competing a possibility, not the other way around. More training and less competing is a good thing all the way.

I would have gladly had my daughter skip 4 and just train for 5. To think of the time wasted on that dang mill circle. Augh!

My current Lvl 9 was the same as GymLawMom's; pre-team and then to Lvl 5 (oh so many years ago!). To the OP, count your blessings and relish in the thought that a solid foundation is being built without the pressure of competitions. The parents that are complaining about the lack of meets and questioning why they are doing the sport will be gone in a short amount of time. This crazy sport takes an eternity to build the foundation. This is your first test toward building the trust that I so often harp on - you have to trust that the coaches know what they are doing. To those that do trust will come the rewards. Hang in there and enjoy the meet-free season.Good Luck.
Yes. This is why I was happy with it. My DD will be training & gaining strength & learning skills w/o the cost & pressure & travel of competing. I always knew & heard gymnastics is an expensive sport, but I didn't realize how expensive competitions are! & leotards & warm ups!! $$$$ My DD is only 6 & she loves this sport but she might not love it next fall. I would hate to spend $200 on a team Leo & warm ups then to never bs worn

A year or so ago, I ran the numbers on how much we had spent over her career. Shocking! Since she has been an optional the costs have probably almost tripled given the travel. However, you can't just look at this as dollars and cents. We turn each out of town meet into a little vacation and make the most of seeing new places. We never, ever would have gone to Bartlesville, OK on our own, but it was one of our best gym trips ever. Same with Wichita this year and regionals.

Good Luck!

We are doing the opposite and moving from starting competition at old L5 to new L3. Having had one child do perfectly well without learning a stride circle or shoot through, I do not like all the time being spent on it for the younger one but since I am the only L3 parent who knows what it is like to not compete until later, I am certainly in the minority. Good news for me: most girls on the L3 team have their skills and are now spending time up training. Enjoy the extra time without meets!

I soooooo agree!! DD was never on a pre-team, and was placed on Level 3 team this spring. We only did in-town meets, so the cost wasn't horrible, but the TIME sitting on my poor booty during the meets was awful! It was really fun for her/us to get some experience with meets and learning/perfecting routines. However, now that I have experienced it, I would like DD to skip competing new level 3 and move on to new level 4. Yes, there is a little bit of up-training involved ..... but I'm sure she'll get her kip in like 2 weeks, right? ;) But IMO the gym time will be better used perfecting form and learning new skills than practicing routines.

I can see why the other parents are irritated. I probably would have been to. They're looking forward to going to meets and all that entails. But knowing what I do now............I'd rather wait!

I can see the pros and cons. I am of the belief that competing a few lower level meets is good thing. But if our gym didn't compete lower levels I'd be ok with it. However, if they took away meets after my daughter had already competed, I would not be happy as my DD is one who thrives on competitions. She LOVES them. She competed old 3 last season and will compete new L4 this season (providing the kip comes before fall, she is SO close!).

I don't blame you for wanting to wait though :)

A year or so ago, I ran the numbers on how much we had spent over her career. Shocking! Since she has been an optional the costs have probably almost tripled given the travel!

Haha -what not to do!! The numbers are scary!!

To the OP, many kids benefit from an extra year (or more) of training before competition. It's not the end of the world. Even though my dd started young. She repeated level 5, so you can look at that as me spending extra money that you will be saving :)

I can see the pros and cons. I am of the belief that competing a few lower level meets is good thing. But if our gym didn't compete lower levels I'd be ok with it. However, if they took away meets after my daughter had already competed, I would not be happy as my DD is one who thrives on competitions. She LOVES them. She competed old 3 last season and will compete new L4 this season (providing the kip comes before fall, she is SO close!). I don't blame you for wanting to wait though :)
Yes some of these kids competed level 2 (old 2) last season so this season they are either "red' pre team or "blue" pre team& going to not competing at ALL. So everyone .is in a stir about the NEW system(team). But like I have said b4 I live in a "gymnastics" state & there are TONS of gymmasts in this gym which equals tons of parents.

emorymom- I want to pay your fees :) makes you wonder why there is such a huge difference between what you pay and what I pay. In my opinion meets are meets, they use the same equipment for the same amount of time, and usually get the same type of (for lack of a better term) "swag" or goodie bag. Hummm. I'm pretty sure our leotards are not spun out of gold and the bling is not actual diamonds soooo maybe I was better off not knowing.. Haha like they say ignorance is bliss.
But we got into this sport 100% knowing it was expensive so I cannot act so surprised by the cost, and because of where we live I'm sure adds insult to injury when it comes to how much everything is. She's happy, and progressing and that's all I can ask for. I'm guessing iwannacoach will be providing a routing number soon, I'll add that charge to my list of payments :)

Some meets are more expensive to attend than others, but gyms also "bill" them differently to their families--meaning some families just pay the meet entrance fee for their gymnasts, but other gyms include the cost of paying the coaches to coach at the meet in the fee--does that make sense? Some gyms make that fee a lump sum at the beginning of meet season.

And the cost of leos and warm-ups vary widely--depends on how much bling goes on it and whether it's custom made or not!

That makes a lot of sense. In our case I think everything is lumped into one payment. As for our leo's, they have an adequate amount of bling on them and I'm pretty sure they were custom made this season.
I do have a question. Now don't laugh.. I'm sure this will be the lame question of the day :) so when coaches charge their fee to be at a meet, does their rate they charge vary say upon the caliber of coach they are? For example Bela Karolyi vs. Joe Schmoe coach? I know these are extreme examples but I'm trying to be as vague as possible :)

That makes a lot of sense. In our case I think everything is lumped into one payment. As for our leo's, they have an adequate amount of bling on them and I'm pretty sure they were custom made this season.
I do have a question. Now don't laugh.. I'm sure this will be the lame question of the day :) so when coaches charge their fee to be at a meet, does their rate they charge vary say upon the caliber of coach they are? For example Bela Karolyi vs. Joe Schmoe coach? I know these are extreme examples but I'm trying to be as vague as possible :)

I don't know--it obviously would vary by gym how much they're paid. I'm fairly certain that all our coaches are paid the same (I say that because our booster club pays the coaches at meets and it doesn't change based on who's there--it's a flat fee per coach per session). But maybe other gyms pay more experienced coaches more?? (if you're talking about being paid to coach in the gym, the more experienced coaches definitely get paid more--but they still aren't raking it in LOL!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back