Parents Dd's 1st Level 8 Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Dd had first Level 8 meet yesterday.

She competed Capital Cup and there were 22 girls in her age group (9-12yr olds).

I'll try to keep this simple:

First up Floor:

She hit all her passes and did a beautiful job, but stepped out of bounds on her first pass. Funny thing was, she was so afraid she was going to step out of bounds at the end of the pass (FHS-FLO-FT) she backed as far as she could into the corner before doing the pass and stepped out :rolleyes: - silly mistake that is very fixable. ;) Score - 8.95, tied for 4th, but got 5th due to AA tie breaker. If she had stayed in she would of have 9.05 which would have been 2nd or 3rd -1st place was 9.15.

Second up Vault:

No expectations here. She is not competition ready for what will be her normal vault, so HC had her do backup lower start value vault (RO-BHS-1/2 twist, SV 9.1). Considering that 9.1 was the best that she could get, she did very well scoring 8.325. No placement. Dd is full steam ahead on flipping Yurchenko starting today, per HC, so hopefully next meet, she will be vaulting with the "big dogs." :cool:

Third up Bars:

Dd loves bars and can do a beautiful routine. I love bars too, especially when she does a beautiful routine (he-he). Well, the chick-a-dee rocked the house. Her routine was great, not the best I have seen, but a keeper for any day at a meet especially. She didn't hit handstand on her clear-hip and took a small step on her landing, but blew the roof off the building with a 9.55. She took first place and it turned out that she scored the highest bar score of the whole session! WAHOO. :D

Last beam:

Press HS, could of held longer, but didn't fall. BT, balance check, but didn't fall. Switch leap, balance check, but didn't fall. Series BHS-BHS, fell on 2nd BHS. I am pretty sure she got credit for the series, but not 100% sure. Stuck full turn. :) Stuck FHS. :) Stuck dismount RO-BT. :) Or course, never fails. Beautiful routine, except for the fall. Score - 8.675 10th place. Without fall , she would of had 9.175, which would have tied for 1st.

AA - 35.50, 5th place out of 22 girls. :D Great job for dd considering, she stepped out of bounds on floor, fell on beam and had a lower start value vault. She was less that 1 pt out of 1st place. She is looking forward to gym today and working the flip on her Yurchenko.

Wow! I think she did awesome for her first L8 meet. Way to go! And that bars score, OMGosh, wow!! She is going to rock L8. :D

HOLY COW!! Great news - especially with not having her vault ready.

I hope Beetle does Half as well in her first L8 meet. A 9.55 on bars? I will be satisified with a point lower! LOL

Tell her congrats from us!

Sounds like she did great:D! Tell her congrats on a successful first meet! Amazing score on bars:)! Just think - she is just warming up!!

Wow - what a great first level 8 meet !!! I can't get over that bar score - that is so awesome. Congrats :)

Good for her! Great job. And what impresses me most, is that she can't wait to go to practice today and work on her routines! That's true love for gymnastics! I am sure she wanted to score better on some of her stuff, but the truth is she scored great, and has the ability to score even better w/ some minor tweaks (according to your synopsis, I am certainly no optional expert!).

It seems she is well on her way to having an awesome season! Woohoo! :D

Awesome start to L8!!! Bars sound wonderful---can't wait to see the video. Sounds like from the beam score she did get credit for the bhs series---everyone is allowed 1 fall(I would be thrilled if thats ALL my gymmie has!!!). 35+ to start the season is just great. Big round of applause!

Those are some wonderful scores, huge AA with a fall on beam. Tell her she is awesome! Imagine when she gets that yurchenko going, nothing will stop her.

That was amazing! I love her form, she is very pretty w/ all her moves.

AWESOME tumbling on floor. Don't know what you call those front layout looking thingy's, but she just nailed them, wow!

Beautiful beam! That was a scary fall, and I am impressed how she got right back on & finished. I think many a girl could have been left crying & not confident enough to finish!

HOW COOL, w/ the bar score of the session there! Loved her cute, shocked expression!

Thanks so much for sharing. Please keep us up to date on all her meets, I'd really like to see more of her!

And on a personal note, how can this be only 2 levels up from where my kid is now!? Geez, that's some scary-looking gymnastics, eeek! :eek: I would have guessed Level 9, lol! Just shows how much I have YET to learn...

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about my dd. I was a little scared about the beam fall, but she's a trooper and knew she would fight through it! Funny thing was after the fall there were no more balance checks, she seemed really on - go figure!

Her first pass on the floor is a FHS-FLO-FT and her last pass is FHS-FP. They took out her twist because it could cause too many deductions. Hopefully that will be back in her routine at the next meet.

You will be amazed at how many different things you will see at level 8, there is a wide range of skills that the gymnast can/will do. And you are right, my dd was where you dd was just 2 yrs ago. They come along and they come along quickly. Yours will be there before you know it! ;)

That was amazing! I love her form, she is very pretty w/ all her moves.

AWESOME tumbling on floor. Don't know what you call those front layout looking thingy's, but she just nailed them, wow!

Beautiful beam! That was a scary fall, and I am impressed how she got right back on & finished. I think many a girl could have been left crying & not confident enough to finish!

HOW COOL, w/ the bar score of the session there! Loved her cute, shocked expression!

Thanks so much for sharing. Please keep us up to date on all her meets, I'd really like to see more of her!

And on a personal note, how can this be only 2 levels up from where my kid is now!? Geez, that's some scary-looking gymnastics, eeek! :eek: I would have guessed Level 9, lol! Just shows how much I have YET to learn...

Her first pass on the floor is a FHS-FLO-FT and her last pass is FHS-FP.

You will be amazed at how many different things you will see at level 8, there is a wide range of skills that the gymnast can/will do. And you are right, my dd was where you dd was just 2 yrs ago. They come along and they come along quickly. Yours will be there before you know it! ;)

Thanks! Hard to believe they can go that far in 2 years. Yikes:eek:!

OK, all those initials you so kindly provided above, to explain her tumbling passes...still confused, LOL! :p

I think I may know one...

FHS=Front handspring?!

Let's guess the others...

FLO=Front layout?...

FT=Front tuck?...

FP=Front pike?...

:scratchchin: :starry-eyed: :knockout: :spin:

Sorry :eek:, but the good thing is you are correct with your guesses below. :D

Thanks! Hard to believe they can go that far in 2 years. Yikes:eek:!

OK, all those initials you so kindly provided above, to explain her tumbling passes...still confused, LOL! :p

I think I may know one...

FHS=Front handspring?!

Let's guess the others...

FLO=Front layout?...

FT=Front tuck?...

FP=Front pike?...

:scratchchin: :starry-eyed: :knockout: :spin:

WOW! What an awesome start for the season! Her bars was breathtaking. I also nearly had a heart attack watching the video & the fall on the beam...I hate watching beam, LOL

Loved her floor routine too! How much do you hate the vault in front of the parents. I guess once you get to L8 you know how to block it out? She's going to have a great season, thanks for sharing with us, we love watching her videos!

FYI, We were there on Sat for the 11am session. We were up against some serious gyms (HOH, Rebound, Paragon, Dynamo...those girsl were at states last year with 35's and 36's) so it was tough competition. Even the 6 yr olds were getting 36's AA! Our poor little 6 yr old (2nd meet only) didn't even place on vault with a 9.2. I am not even sure how we did yet as a team, I can't find the scores posted yet so who knows. My DD did so-so, still hanging onto the 34's for AA scores and placed around11th I think.

Sorry :eek:, but the good thing is you are correct with your guesses below. :D
Wow, I had some good guesses! Thanks for the confirmation! Still, when I read all those initials, I have to slow way down & think real hard about what they stand for, then try to picture the skills, LOL! I guess I'll get faster at it as dd gets into that stuff (if she is still at it by then, that is!).

Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back