Parents Dd's 2nd level 8 meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Well, dd competed at the Christmas on the Chesapeake yesterday - bright and early (8am report time).

There were 18 girls in her age division - Modified Capital cup format. There were 2 flights, so there was something going on at all times. Dd was with her teammates (there were 8 of them) and they were in the 2nd flight. Let me just start by saying, I really like when they warm up in another gym and not in front of us parents. If I can't see the falls in practice, I don't know they exist - obviously not the case at this meet!

She started out on vault. I had no idea what vault she would be doing. She has been practicing the Yurchenko for the past 3 weeks and doing nothing else, but it would ultimately be up to the coach as to what she would be doing. Basically I could tell from the warm up that she wouldn't be flipping and that she would end up doing the half twist again - which she did. She got a 8.1 - no placement. Later, after the meet, dd told me that the spring board was really hard and she barely was getting spring off of it, so no way she could flip. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry!

Next onto bars.

The coaches put her 2nd to last in the line up for bars. I was a little nervous because they weren't using a spring board for her mount and I know sometimes she has a hard time hitting that first handstand pirouette if she doesn't take off from something (springboard or block.) Well, she hit her pirouette and no roundy-round this time, she jumps to the high bar does clear hip to handstand (not her best, and certainly not as good as the last meet). She does her giants then flyaway, small step (she has to stop doing that little step - solid girl, solid!) It was a pretty solid routine and one that we will definitely take at a meet. She got a 9.15 - which was good score. Her score got her 2nd place.

Off to beam.

Warm up - very scary (team wise) many gasps and tons of stress. One girl missed her one foot on the round off and did her tuck and fell on her knees and face. Next girl (dd's best friend) totally messed up the round off and feel next to the beam, hit her head on the bar that hold up the beam and twisted her ankle. She was crying. Next up, dd, I'm praying hard, please make the dismount, thankfully she did. It's hard to watch your teammates all going down, that really messes with their minds. When her best friend did it dd was already standing on the beam next to go, so she saw the whole thing. Warm up ends (thank you!) Guess who's up first - yup, dd! She starts off the rotation and let me just say, she has an awesome solid routine, hits everything - YAHOO! Score - 9.2, 1st place.

Last, but not least floor:

I love when she ends on floor. After dd's first meet back in Nov, they changed dd's 2nd pass from a BHS-LO to the RO-whip-BHS-BT. So, now dd has 2 double salto passes in her routine (which is great, because if her routine isn't working for whatever reason, she can have a plan B.) Her first pass, she only does the FHS-FLO, instead of the FHS-FLO-FT (see what I mean about plan B). Later she told me the first FHS-FLO-FT she did in the warm-up she practically bounced off the floor onto the cement and she didn't want that to happen, so improvise. Then the new pass that I listed above and lastly she did her FHS-FP. Very clean beautiful routine, score reflected it too - 9.55, 1st place. In checking the meet scores today, looking for a team score we weren't staying until the end of the day for the team awards, I noticed that dd had the highest floor routine score of all of level 8 at the meet. There were 5 different sessions of level 8s and this was a big meet, not just locals, so that is pretty impressive in my book.

AA - 36.0 - 2nd place, she got a really nice plaque. 1st place was 36.625, which was taken by her teammate. It was encouraging for dd to know that she could be right up there with the vault she did. The level 8 team took 2nd place, out of 24 gyms. She is excited to go back to the gym today. Back to working that vault, she will get it, in due time. I keep saying, good things come to those who wait.

I did video and will put it together in the next day or too and I will let everyone know. Next meet is in 3 weeks on January 3rd, another 8am report time, but at least we will sleep at home since the meet is about 1 hr away. Thanks for staying with me this long, if ya did....

What a great job she did, that AA score is fabulous with an 8.1 vault score. She is going to have a great seson.

I agree about the warm up gym, oldest always warms up in a nother gym, youngest in the same gym. I try not to watch as that way I don't know about the dramas,

What an awesome meet! Congrats to your dd!!

I'm definitely not sharing this news with my DD, it will freak her out too much, LOL. She finally finished her floor routine this weekend and she is very happy with it. I can't wait to see it.

Thanks!

Do you know what music your dd's floor routine is to? She still has at least a few weeks until her first meet, doesn't she? She has plenty of time to practice and own it before she competes.

How's gym going now that cheer is over? Must be a little easier on you, at least "taxi-ing" wise... ;)

What an awesome meet! Congrats to your dd!!

I'm definitely not sharing this news with my DD, it will freak her out too much, LOL. She finally finished her floor routine this weekend and she is very happy with it. I can't wait to see it.

Super exciting news. Those are great scores and the detailed play-by-play made me feel like I was there with you. Tell your DD awesome job. Keep up the great work!

WOOHOO! Sounded like a great meet! Our team was there, just not our L4's. I was reading your post and when I got to the beam part I was saying outloud "Oh Cra!" I hate beam and would have surly been one of those parents gasping out loud! I do the same for vaulting. Must have been so hard for your DD to go after watching THAT! I felt bad the time my DD crashing doing the vault and had her best friend waiting to go. Also I noticed that problems/falls have a tendency to go epedemic. At the GNY invitation our best girls came off on her dismount the wrong side. Our girls never do that so when it happened the first time we were surprised, but then it happened 2 more times after her!

Great job on the floor too...she must be so HAPPY to be #1 on that! I'm sure the vault thing will come in time. If she's got great scores now, just think what she will be getting with that vault when it is ready for competition. Vey cool! Can't wait to see the videos!

WOW! Can I have some of that L8 fairy????? That is amazing!!

I see a L9 next year for sure! That Yurchenko can be aL9 Vault and she has L9 tumbling.. way to go!

Thanks!

Do you know what music your dd's floor routine is to? She still has at least a few weeks until her first meet, doesn't she? She has plenty of time to practice and own it before she competes.

How's gym going now that cheer is over? Must be a little easier on you, at least "taxi-ing" wise... ;)

Definitely much easier now that cheering is over!!

DD's music is Phantom of the Opera. She practiced the routine tonight w/the tumbling, but of course I haven't seen it yet.

Oh my wow! She did awesome. Fun that the team also did well and they could share the victories! Congrats to her! And I think all of you optional moms are sooo brave. I don't think my DD will make it to optionals, but I also don't think my stomach/heart could handle it. LOL.

What a talented girl you have - she did amazing - congrats !!!!!:D

I would be shocked if she did 9 next yr, dd is pretty certain that she will do a 2nd yr of 8, but I guess if she keeps performing at the level she is maybe she will move on - the good thing is, she is not planning on it. ;)

WOW! Can I have some of that L8 fairy????? That is amazing!!

I see a L9 next year for sure! That Yurchenko can be aL9 Vault and she has L9 tumbling.. way to go!

Yay! Awesome job!:applause: Thanks for sharing the vids! Your dd looked great. I am very proud of her for pulling her beam routine off, especially after such a traumatic team warm-up! Way to go :highfive:!! You know she is a valuable asset to the team in that regard, and w/ the great scores, to boot. How fun for you be there w/ her & see her do so well!

Thank you for the wonderful things you have said about my dd - I think she is pretty valuable too! :p

We are just waiting patiently on her vault - it will come, but it is waiting to make a "grand" entrance. ;) I just hope and pray that it is there come States (end of March).

I do think that she is very happy with herself (as she should be) and she is having a great time.

Yay! Awesome job!:applause: Thanks for sharing the vids! Your dd looked great. I am very proud of her for pulling her beam routine off, especially after such a traumatic team warm-up! Way to go :highfive:!! You know she is a valuable asset to the team in that regard, and w/ the great scores, to boot. How fun for you be there w/ her & see her do so well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back