Parents DDs best buddy at gym is quitting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
I bet this happens all of the time and especially at the end of the season. DD's best gymnastics buddy is quitting. I was told by the mother, to give me a heads up, but DD's friend plans to tell her at practice in a couple of days. I am just looking for some advice on what to say to my DD because I know she is going to sad that her friend (who lives in another town and goes to a different school system) will not be the constant in her life she has been for the last 4 years.

Appreciate any thoughts.

It is tough because these girls are like sisters to each other. This won't be the last friend to leave the sport. Certainly talk with the other girl's mom about keeping in touch and getting together over the summer. Let dd know this happens and its not a reflection on the friendship.

This happened to my dd this year. Her best friend at the gym quit right in the middle of the season. I held off telling dd as long as I could because I really thought she would be devastated. Turns out she found out from her friend before I had the chance to, and she took it very well. The girls have been friends for years - even went to preschool together, and then were in gym together for 3 years. But it didn't deter dd at all. She was still very focused at gym and seemed fine.

Like gym law mom said, we do make it a point to still get the girls together occasionally to play, or for a sleepover or whatever. Seems to be working fine. My dd is still young, and I suppose probably more resilient to these types of things. For an older girl it might be harder. Hope everything works out well!

Make sure they get a chance to see each other still. It would be a shame to see a great friendship die.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back