Parents Dd's Dr's Appt (broken foot saga)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
I haven't had much to say lately, I do respond to some posts here and there.

On Monday we went back to the Dr's for a follow up appt. For those that don't remember, dd broke her foot back on Jan. 19th - turns out she has a Jones' Fracture of the 5th metatarsal. Basically she broke the bone that leads to the pinky toe. It was a bad fracture and the location of the fracture is what makes it a Jones' fracture. It is a very slow healing injury due to lack of blood that gets to this area.

Anyway, it has been 3 months since she broke it and when we went to the Dr. she told us that dd is only 80% healed! It was a very depressing appt. Dd is having a very hard time, she is frustrated that she can't be 100% in the gym. She is in the gym 100% of the time that she would normally be there but she is limited in what she can do.

So, she has to go back to the Dr again in another month and we will need to get another set of x-rays before we go. She still has to wear her brace that she was given last month. She is doing PT, which is definitely helping build her muscles back in her left leg. She is now allowed to run/sprint, do BHS step outs, but no impact skills, no bar dismounts, no tramp or tumble trak.

Not much more to say, just plugging along. :(

Wow injuries can be such a nightmare. WHat a long time for her to be patient, and I know that going to the gym and not being able to train 100% is NO FUN.

Is she still as enthusiastic about gym?

Suprisingly yes, she is still enthusiastic about being in the gym.

The whole time (3 months) have been difficult for different reasons, but she does want to be there. In the beginning it was hard because really it was her alone and she either had a plaster cast or an air cast boot on for the 1st 2 months.

But now it's even harder because although she wears a brace, she has no pain, she walks no problems and if you didn't know better you'd think there is nothing wrong, so she wants to push the skills more but she can't. The only saving grace now is that there are a few girls who are also injured so she has someone to workout with.

Wow injuries can be such a nightmare. WHat a long time for her to be patient, and I know that going to the gym and not being able to train 100% is NO FUN.

Is she still as enthusiastic about gym?

I'm so sorry to hear about K's injury. That really does stink. Olivia's kind of in the same boat. Just when the give her the go-ahead to start tumbling again she comes out of the practice crying because her ankle hurts. She sees the therapist again tomorrow so we'll discuss this then. She hasn't vaulted in a couple months. Sectionals is next weekend. I'm not sure what we're going to do.

I wish your dd a speedy recovery. I'm glad to hear she's still enthusiastic. She'll be 100% again soon!! :)

GS - I am so Sorry that K's injury is the slowest healing injury in the history of injuries!

She sounds like a trooper for keeping her attitude positive! I dont think Beetle would be as patient.

Thank you for keeping us updated, I was thinking of her this week..

I can only imagine how frustrating that must be. My dd's been in a boot for three weeks with a broke toe and is really sick of it. You dd must have a great attitude to be able to keep her enthusiasm up.

You can't take the gym out of the gymnast. :) Sorry she is still battling with her injury. She has had a rough spring. Main thing is that is heals correctly so she doesn't have any more problems. She will sure be one tough gymmie next year!!! Glad to hear from you.

Ugh what a drag....I don't not think P would be as patient as your DD.

She had to be off her wrists last year 6 weeks due to severe inflamation of the growth plates and she was miserable.

Give that kid a hug and tell her what a patient job she is doing.

Injuries are scary thing. I was just talking to a coach/mom I know at Regionsl her DD is a 3rd yr level 9 due to injury she had stress fracture in her leg it healed and they discovered another 1 UGH!!!

Best wishes to DD and i hope the last 20percent goes quicker.

I here your frustration, it is so disappointing to think she is going to get the okay to go back and then here it is a no go. The whole injury thing is new to me and it has only been about 3 weeks since my daughter has been unable to fully practice because of her wrist. After reading these post it seems very common. The other day at gym my daughter said they formed their own group the injured gymnasts apparently they are so many of them they decided to have them work out and condition together. Crazy thing is they all have different injuries so I just think it is the sport. Her coach was creative and had them doing all sorts of conditioning. My daughter seemed to like it but she is so frustrated not being able to do everything. Tonight she was almost in tears because she told her friends she would go see them in sectionals but now she thinks it will upset her too much. I hope your daughter and all the other chalkbucket gymnasts get better soon.

After my dd broke her foot she only saw her teammates compete once, because we still went to the flyaway. I would of taken her if she wanted to go for the local meets and States, but she never expressed interest - I think it was too much for her and I wasn't going to push it. :eek:

I here your frustration, it is so disappointing to think she is going to get the okay to go back and then here it is a no go. The whole injury thing is new to me and it has only been about 3 weeks since my daughter has been unable to fully practice because of her wrist. After reading these post it seems very common. The other day at gym my daughter said they formed their own group the injured gymnasts apparently they are so many of them they decided to have them work out and condition together. Crazy thing is they all have different injuries so I just think it is the sport. Her coach was creative and had them doing all sorts of conditioning. My daughter seemed to like it but she is so frustrated not being able to do everything. Tonight she was almost in tears because she told her friends she would go see them in sectionals but now she thinks it will upset her too much. I hope your daughter and all the other chalkbucket gymnasts get better soon.

I too have been thinking of your daughter and wondering how her recovery has been. Sorry it has been so slow. I'm sending heal all the CB gymmies vibes including my gymmie.

Thank you for the thoughts! :D I seem to be sending monthly updates lately... I don't have her next month's appt scheduled yet, need to call the Dr's office back at the end of this month, but when I get an appt date I will post when my next installment should be coming!

We are half way though week 1 of 4 until the next appt. I feel like once we get through the work/school week that the week is over, it seems the weekends fly by. I'm going to shoot for 5/10 for her next appt because that will be 4 weeks from this past one.

I too have been thinking of your daughter and wondering how her recovery has been. Sorry it has been so slow. I'm sending heal all the CB gymmies vibes including my gymmie.

Sorry to hear that her foot still hasn't healed fully. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be. After 3 weeks, Abby is going crazy, though i think she would be thrilled if it was her foot and not her wrist, she misses bars a ton.

Hope she heals fully very soon.

Oh that's so frustrating! Is there nothing she can do to help it heal faster? It's taking forever for her!

Not really. It takes so long due to the lack of blood supply, not really sure if there anything more she can do. She is drinking her Kefir (for her Vitamin D), her up being on it helps the blood circulate. It's just a waiting game.

I may be grasping for straws here, but I'm wondering if she massaged it a couple times a day if it would let increase the blood flow. Anyone??? Am I think way too far outside the box! :p

Oh that's so frustrating! Is there nothing she can do to help it heal faster? It's taking forever for her!

Not really. It takes so long due to the lack of blood supply, not really sure if there anything more she can do. She is drinking her Kefir (for her Vitamin D), her up being on it helps the blood circulate. It's just a waiting game.

I may be grasping for straws here, but I'm wondering if she massaged it a couple times a day if it would let increase the blood flow. Anyone??? Am I think way too far outside the box! :p

That's not such a bad thought--massage should increase blood flow--as will having it be warm.

Not at all! I had Beetle in for a few massages and the therapist I spoke to said that when injuries are massaged the healing time can be increased by 20%!! Go for it!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back