Parents DD's gym is closing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flyaway

Proud Parent
Hey all. I've been MIA for a bit. There has been so much in the air with gym and COVID and it's been hard to read stories here of kiddos going back and it was just easier to take a break.

I may be sacrificing anonymity posting this, but I could use some support. Dd's gym is closing. It is 100% COVID related and I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. It's shocking to me that a community institution that's been around for 40 years providing not only gymnastics but day camps, summer camps, preschool, swim lessons, cheer, birthday parties, indoor playground, etc. is just going to be.... gone.

Gym is all my dd has known for 8 of her 13 years of life. And while there have been challenging times, mental blocks and moments where I've wondered if this was the beginning of the end, none of us ever ever imagined that it would be decided for her in this way.

There is hope that maybe a buyer will come along. But in this economic climate I am not holding my breath. Who wants to dish out $$ to buy a business that can't even open yet with no end in sight? Of course our current owners made the right decision. They were caught between a rock and a hard place and in the end they have to provide for their family. They can't destroy their personal life so my kid can have an after school activity. There's just no winning in this situation at all.

We are grieving. Grieving the loss of could have been, should have been. Grieving the loss of something my dd identified with for most of her life. Grieving the loss of a source of joy and excitement and yes, even pride. We will get through this, dd is smart and talented in so many areas and I'm looking forward to seeing her develop new gifts that she discovers. But for now, we are hurting. :(

I'm so sorry. That is so hard. And sad. I hope everyone involved finds a new path forward that brings as much joy as they had with this gym.

I'm so sorry to hear this. A 30 year old gym in my town closed last week. This is so hard to hear. Devastating on so many levels.

I’m so sorry to hear this. our hearts go out to you. I’m sure she will thrive in something new, but it doesn’t make this time an easier. hugs <3

No, sadly. At least not for our family. The closest options are a more than 90 min drive in good weather. That's just not sustainable for us.

I am so sorry. That wouldn’t be sustainable for us either. It’s not exactly the same circumstances, but my daughter recently decided to retire from gymonastics and is now dancing with a junior company and LOVES it. She is like a whole new kid. I hope your daughter finds another passion as well!

Sending you and your daughter virtual hugs (this site really needs 'hugging' and/or 'I care' emoticons).

My DD's gym closed too. She officially retired at the beginning of March, just one week before the Covid hell broke loose. She still cried two days straight after she heard the news. Even though she retired, it was still 'her' place, she looked forward to come to visit, help during meets and maybe start coaching there one day. Our gym was just 2 years shy of its 50th Birthday.

It is so sad it ended for your daughter this way. Wishing her (and you) many happy beginnings.

I am very sorry for your loss and you and your child have every right to grieve. I hope better days are ahead.

This is awful! I am so sorry. Definitely feel free to vent and grieve here. Thinking of you and your DD!

I'm so sorry. A 90 minute commute wouldn't work for us either. I have no doubt that your daughter will find another passion. But I can only imagine how hard this is for you both - I'm sorry.

So sad for you and your daughter. I hope someone steps in and buys the business. I however am certain with all the skills, physical strength, fortitude, agility, etc etc etc she has developed in her years of training as a gymnast, she will thrive in any sport should she choose to do so. I particularly like diving. It is fun to watch and a beautiful sport as well. All the best to you and your daughter!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back