Parents Dd's level 8 Meet Report & Video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Dd had her 3rd Level 8 Sectional this past Sunday. It was held in a gym that was 1.5 hrs from our house so we got a hotel room because her report time was 8am (what were they thinking with it being daylight savings time!)

She really didn't eat much before the meet because she really isn't a breakfast person and then when her body feels like it is 6am, she really didn't want to eat. She ate 1/2 a hard boiled egg and drank some Kefir. I also packed a trail mix snack so if she got hungry during the meet, she'd have something to nibble on.

First event up was bars. The past 2 meets dd has fallen on bars, so I was hoping for a good start. If she kept it clean, she'd get a decent score. Her pirouette was archy and she took a small step on the dismount, but otherwise it was a good routine and a great start. Score: 9.55 - 2nd place. 1st place was 9.625.

Beam - A little wobbly and some falls during warm up, but it didn't seem to phase her. She had a major bobble after her series, but she stayed on. Her leaps were a little flat too. Small step on dismount - again, otherwise a clean routine. Score: 9.125 - 2nd place. 1st place was 9.15.

Floor - Small things again. She took a step after every pass, I think she got dinged on her 1.5 turn, her heel came down before the turn was finished. Chest was down on 2nd pass too. Again, all small things but otherwise a clean routine. Score: 9.375 - 3rd place. 1st place was 9.5.

Vault - Well as usual vault is vault and if she can pull a mid-8, we consider that good. I can say though that she is definitely getting better at vaulting. She was able to stand up all vaults in warm up. Her first real vault she stood up, she did a tuck, looked nice. 2nd vault, coach told her to pike. She tried to pike, but it was more of a pike-tucky thing. The 1st vault was better and that was the score that counted. Score: 8.9 - 4th place. 1st place was 9.525. 8.9 is a personal best for dd, maybe she can break a 9 at States.

AA - 36.95 - 3rd place. 1st AA was 37.5.

I was very proud of dd as this was the first meet that she pulled it all together and hit all 4 events. Hopefully this will give her the confidence going into States, which will be the weekend of March 28/29.

She just has a few things to clean up, but overall a great meet! Here's the video:

YouTube - L8 Sectional March 09

Congrats to your dd what a great AA meet! I loved watching the videos she did a beautifal job. She will be a force to be reckon with at state.

Thanks, I hope she can do just as well for States as she has to be in the top 8 AA to qualify for Regionals. Fingers-crossed!

I don't talk about Regionals with her, I don't want to add anymore pressure. She just says to me that if she doesn't make Regionals that's ok because she is a 1st Level 8.

I constantly tell her that you can't let 1 meet define if you are a good gymnast or not. My example is Alicia Sacramone. I say she didn't do so hot in the Olympics, does that make her not a good gymnast - NO! States is important, but whether you come in 1st or 10th, you still need to go in the gym and work hard.

2.5 weeks until States... ;)

Wow! She did so well! And that wobble on beam was a great save! She nailed that back tuck! Good luck at State!

What a SOLID meet she had! She is wonderful to watch. Great time to be doing so well, right before States. She'll do great, and considering her AA placement at this meet, it seems like she has a good chance of making it to Regionals! We'll keep her in our thoughts. No pressure tho, right?! :)

Thanks, I will take all good thoughts and prayers for States the weekend of March 28/29th. She seems to be fine, but as for me, well whenver I think about it, My belly gets all knotted. I can't believe how quickly this week has gone by.

Once I get through States I can finally focus on my ds's first communion that's at the end of April. I can't seem to multi-task on these 2 things... :eek:

What a SOLID meet she had! She is wonderful to watch. Great time to be doing so well, right before States. She'll do great, and considering her AA placement at this meet, it seems like she has a good chance of making it to Regionals! We'll keep her in our thoughts. No pressure tho, right?! :)

Awesome scores!! She looked great on video. She will do well at state. My level 8 daughter has state that same weekend!! We have a HUGE meet this weekend. 45 gyms competing. :eek:
Good luck to your DD at state!!

She did a lovely job, great gymnast to watch. Lovely to see how much she has progressed this year.

Tell her to have fun at States.

GL to your dd this weekend and also at States - 45 girls is a lot!

Awesome scores!! She looked great on video. She will do well at state. My level 8 daughter has state that same weekend!! We have a HUGE meet this weekend. 45 gyms competing. :eek:
Good luck to your DD at state!!

Granny - What a great meet! She is doing so well!

I know you dont want to talk about regions but I was wondering how your qualifications work? Our is top 8 is on superteam. and anyone scoring over a 36.5 is automatically qualified. Then if they need to fill other spots they take the highest AA score from all the regions state meets.

Ok, I'm not 100%, but I am pretty sure I got the jist of it.

The top 6 AA will represent the State, 7th & 8th AA will be placed on the All Star team. Now sometimes some of the other AAs (9th, 10th 11th) can be used to fill other states. I would assume that there must be a minimum AA score, but I do not know what it is. So, to me for her to be guaranteed a spot she would have to finish top 8 AA. If she is on, she can definitely do it - but she is dependent on beam. She has to score well on beam because her vault is only good for a high 8 and we all know how beam can go - so we will see! I am saying lots of prayers and am hoping for the best!!! ;)

Granny - What a great meet! She is doing so well!

I know you dont want to talk about regions but I was wondering how your qualifications work? Our is top 8 is on superteam. and anyone scoring over a 36.5 is automatically qualified. Then if they need to fill other spots they take the highest AA score from all the regions state meets.

I would assume that there must be a minimum AA score, but I do not know what it is.

I don't think there is a min score for L8. For 9 and 10, it is 34.0 but for L8 it just says top 8 (the way you described). Based on your dd's performance this season, I'd say she has a good shot at a top NJ stop :D

On a separate note..it is less than 2 wks before States and we have not heard back about DD's petition. My guess is she's not in....which is ok with me, I had mixed feelings about it anyway. Another teammate is also hurt (also ankle sprain), so I think DD will be less disappointed about not competing...misery loves company and all that, lol.

Jason just posted on the Forum that L9 and 10 schedules are up, and L8 schedule is pending regional director's approval of the age groups..so any time now.

Wow, that was a great meet, it is so nice when it all finally comes together for them after all their hard work and struggles. I love watching her videos. Great job! Sending her lots of good luck vibes for States!!

Well until you hear a firm word from your coach, there is still a shot she can get it!

As for saying there is a minimum score, again I really don't know, but how can any state not have 8 girls in an age group to send to Regionals. That being said, that is the only reason why I thought there might be a minimum. Even Delaware has to have 8 girls per age group, don't ya think? It just seems odd to me that's all.

I see on AGAs site that 8s are definitely on Sunday and he has the sessions posted, but he doesn't have the age group to the session. I am so hoping that dd's group is not the 8am. I guess we will deal if we have to and then at least dh could come (ds has a travel soccer game on Sunday, but in afternoon), but I really don't want to get up before the crack of dawn - if I can sleep at all anyways! :eek:

I don't think there is a min score for L8. For 9 and 10, it is 34.0 but for L8 it just says top 8 (the way you described). Based on your dd's performance this season, I'd say she has a good shot at a top NJ stop :D

On a separate note..it is less than 2 wks before States and we have not heard back about DD's petition. My guess is she's not in....which is ok with me, I had mixed feelings about it anyway. Another teammate is also hurt (also ankle sprain), so I think DD will be less disappointed about not competing...misery loves company and all that, lol.

Jason just posted on the Forum that L9 and 10 schedules are up, and L8 schedule is pending regional director's approval of the age groups..so any time now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back