Parents DD's "school parent" drama...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I teach at the school my DD goes to and I haven't had too many negative responses, mainly because we don't talk about it very much. The comments that I dislike are "Oh, is she training for the Olympics", as if that's the only worthwhile reason to do gymnastics. I know that for the general public that's all they know, but I still feel slightly irritated. I would never think that a kid playing TBall was training for the major leagues. DD is 6 and doing 16 hours, so yes I understand how they might think that is excessive. I try to explain to people that this is the normal hours for level 5 and is actually even low compared to some gyms, she just happens to be on the young side. I get lots of questions from teachers about how will she study, what about homework? They look at me in disbelief when I tell them that their are girls doing 30 hours a week and going to high school making straight A's.

My niece's friends parents don't say anything about gymnastics. My brother's neighborhood is a bit nicer, but still inner city, and her mom's neighborhood is in SE DC, where gangs are a huge problem especially in the Hispanic community. Most of the parents that are involved in their kids lives are really supportive of sports, regardless of the hours, to keep kids out of trouble and help them move out of the neighborhood onto better things. I've just started bringing my niece to school because my brother had only been able to drop her off for before and after school programs (he's still adjusting to being a full time single dad) and I want to be more involved for her. Once again she's an a city public school that has a lot of at-risk kids, so there's not a lot of concern about gym time.

And to be honest if there was? I can't hear them anyway so I could care less :p

To those parents who comment on your DD being behind in reading, tell them that gymnastics is actually helping with it because it's developing her motor skills, which need to be developed in order for her to learn things like reading etc. Oh, and how many of these kids that don't do extra-curricular activities spend hours in front of the tv/computer. I know where I'd rather have my child.
p.s. Sorry I haven't read everyone else's comments. I thought I'd just add my 2 cents worth. I love gymnastics. It was probably the best things that I did as a kid :)

My son also practices only four hours a week. That is not too much time to do something you love! I am not sure what will happen next year, but for now, its a good amount of time for him to do something he loves! Sorry you are getting comments like that! I bet their kids watch tv those same four hours.

My dd is older now, but when she was young or even today for that matter, if there is a comment made about the amount of hours, I always would say that her doing gym & school is all she has ever known. She was on pre-team when she was in Kindergarten - can't remember how many hours she went. I'd always tell me, who made a comment (not that there were many) that she has gradually built up to the 20 hrs. It's not like one day she went from doing zero hrs to doing 20. That would kill a kid to do go from zero to 20 hrs in any sport that they did.

The people I'd hear the most from about hours were the newbies up in the observation room that were just starting out. Now that dd is a sophomore in HS most don't even know she does gymnastics. It's not a HS sport at her school and for any of them it just appears that she doesn't nothing... She's ok with that, she really doesn't tell anyone that she does gymnastics either. Her new school friends last year figured it out when they would text her or call her and she never answered because she was at the gym! :)

Oh, wow! Thank you all for your kind words and support. I am knee deep in my own schooling (returning college student, here!) and haven't had a minute to spare to read your replies, but wow did they warm my heart. I apologize, as your words were all so well thought out. My first exam simply snuck up on me! But, I am so thankful for the CB family - you're the only ones that can understand!

So, my DD has a history of sensory issues. She used to be in OT, but in talking to her therapist, we decided to try gymnastics for her large motor skills (as well as socialization). It worked wonders and she "graduated" from the program with flying colors. BUT - DD also has generalized anxiety disorder, selective mutism and some sort of language delay which has not yet been pinpointed. She struggles a lot with reading, though the newest theory is that it's her ANXIETY that is impairing her reading. She is now seeing a psychologist for behavior modification therapy, as we are hoping to avoid medicating her for as long as possible.

Anyhow, we've kept her in gym because she absolutely loves it. She started at the age of 4 (we tried at 3, but it was too much for her then and we pulled her), and hasn't looked back. Other activities are fun for her, but she has always ranked them far below gymnastics. She sleeps, eats and breathes the sport. She wants to watch it on the computer, the tv, and she "practices" constantly (handstands, splits, bridge kickovers, etc). I encourage academics at home, of course, but I don't force other organized activities if she isn't interested. She is learning to build her confidence, learning to set goals, and excels physically in gym class. It's what she knows, and she's proud of what she has learned and can do. It's very much her (relative) strength right now. Why would I pull her right now? To make other moms happy? Silly.

Anyway, I know I don't need to justify to you all here, but still am in the habit of doing so! I am going to make an effort to socialize less (we're pretty far north, so it won't be hard to do soon enough! Brrr.) with the crazy school moms and just remember that I am doing what is in the best interest of my DD. :)

Thanks again for reminding me that I am not crazy (at least, not completely!). :)

Last edited:
Ugh, that sucks that you have to deal with that stuff from other parents. We are so lucky that everyone I have talked to is impressed that DD is actually on a gymnastics team - some of them think she's more amazing than she actually is because they are not used to our little country having gymnasts that compete against other countries like our team does. I have never heard one negative word from non-gym adults (or kids, for that matter)- the only negative comments have been from a couple of other gym moms who are struggling with the cost and time involved and wish their DDs would lose interest and quit. But they are only negative about the sport for themselves - never negative for other people.

It also helps that I drop off at school early when other parents aren't around, and I don't usually pick up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back