Parents De Quervain's tenosynovitis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kolabola29

Proud Parent
Has anyone's child ever had De Quervain's tenosynovitis? It's a specific type of painful tendonitis. My daughter was just diagnosed with it and will be starting PT soon. I'd love to hear from others who have gone through this about lessons learned, how long it took to heal, etc. We caught it right away--went to the dr just a few days after the pain began--so I'm hopeful for fast healing!

I was just given the diagnosis of De Quervain's disease and instructed to wear a splint throughout the day (except while eating and bathing), apply ice four to six times per day, and take two Aleve tablets per day (a total of 880mg of naproxen each day) until I visit an orthopedic surgeon again (2 weeks from my original appointment).

My ODD (not a gymnast) developed De Quervain's in both hands at the age of 14/15 in 2019. It was caused and/or aggravated by playing the violin. She was never a high hours player, maybe 6 hours a week at most.
After none of the conservative treatment methods worked, she had surgery to widen the tendon shafts on both wrists at the end of 2019. She started playing again after 6 weeks and has been pain free since with a second instrument added.
Hope your daughter can be treated conservatively only. Good luck.

Thanks for the posts! My daughter has been splinted, resting, icing, and doing PT for six weeks with no improvement, unfortunately. We are going for an MRI in two days. @PinPin did your daughter try cortisone shots before surgery?

Just an update: we did go ahead and get a cortisone shot a week ago after 7 weeks of the splint and PT without improvement. So far, it's feeling pretty good. No pain on non-gymnastics activity, but this week will be the first week of using the wrist in the gym. Fingers crossed it stays feeling good!

Thanks for the posts! My daughter has been splinted, resting, icing, and doing PT for six weeks with no improvement, unfortunately. We are going for an MRI in two days. @PinPin did your daughter try cortisone shots before surgery?
Sorry for the late reply. The view of all involved in treating her (doctor, physio and orthopedic surgeon) was that given the length of conservative treatment and the wide range of treatment tried, she would not have benefitted from cortisone. I hope it works for your daughter!

Just an update: we did go ahead and get a cortisone shot a week ago after 7 weeks of the splint and PT without improvement. So far, it's feeling pretty good. No pain on non-gymnastics activity, but this week will be the first week of using the wrist in the gym. Fingers crossed it stays feeling good!
I was actually diagnosed with it in February (after the pain started on January 30 on my way to a college gymnastics meet when I moved my phone from my right hand to my left hand). Months of PT and we are now waiting for MRI approval. We are trying to avoid the shots because of my personal side effects with steroids. I am almost to the point where I call the ortho and say lets just do the shot!
I hope it helps your daughter get back to full activity. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back