WAG Dealing with fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! So since I just started gymnastics last summer, I have never been used to dealing with how scary some of the skills are and I am really struggling with fear. I can be really scared of something and then do it well but be extremely scared to do it another tine even if I know I can make it. This happens mostly on bars. I keep improving on floor and beam but bars are not improving at all because I'm way too scared. It would be really appreciated if any one has any idea o how to deal with fear because I really want to improve!

Okay so hum I speak French and don't know how it's called in English but it's putting both of your feet on the low bar and standing on it to catch the high bar. I know it is a really basic skill but I am terrified o it for some reason!

It's called a squat-on!
You could stack up spotting blocks with panel mats and then jump from there to get used to putting your feet on. Work your way down until its waist height and then go back to casting.

I was able to do it until one of my feet slipped and I ended up falling on my neck. Now there is no way I'm even trying to do without a mat under the bars but my coach wants me to do it without a mat but I just can't. It's so frustrating!

Maybe you could try explaining to your coach why you are afraid and ask for a spot until you feel comfortable?

she's talking about a squat on and then jump to the high bar. if you can't do this by 17 there is no point. coach or no coach.

she's talking about a squat on and then jump to the high bar. if you can't do this by 17 there is no point. coach or no coach.

I disagree. My friend, 17 years old, just started gymnastics two years ago. Started competing at level 4 last year and level 5 this year. She got her squat-on just this past year at age 17!!!
Don't give up, there are plenty of adult gymnasts, beginners through elite levels!! And plenty of people who learn squat-ons over the age of 17.
Yes you will have to work through the fear, and I would try to explain exactly what it is you are afraid of to your coach.

Just so everything is clear here, I am able to do it and I've done it several times. The only thing I am saying is that I want to get rid of the fear that comes with it. ANd by the way, you are never too old to learn something in gymnastics or to do gymnastics and believe me, I am not stopping gymnastics anytime soon :)

And I will definitely talk to my coach about it. It is really important that she understands what I am feeling! Thank you for the support! :)

in Canada, the bars are at FIG. if you are 17, and of normal height of over 5'2", the bar is approx 58 inches from your grasp. your arms are probably 34" long at your age. if you simply lean forward approx 2 feet you can actually stand on the bar and hold the high bar at the same time without ever leaving the low bar. so i guess i'm saying nicely that i don't buy your story.

gymnasts have been jumping to the high bar since the late 70's. i have NEVER seen or heard of a gymnast this age having fear problems or difficulties going from the low to high bar. that's all.

and i should point out that i have never seen a coach spot a double back in a competition either. someone recently sent me video of Valeri spotting a girl for said same in Zemeskal's competition. i'm still dumbfounded.

and i should point out that i have never seen a coach spot a double back in a competition either. someone recently sent me video of Valeri spotting a girl for said same in Zemeskal's competition. i'm still dumbfounded.

See dunno.....pigs do fly, and I hear the forcast in the netherworld is for a few days of sub zero temps......could the video been shot during a practice meet????

And......don't worry about Valerie, as he's just as prone to falability as you and I, but just at a higher level......much, much higher level. Opps, I gotta go....he just pulled into the driveway, and I still have to get dinner on the table!!!!;) :D

I disagree - last year I learned a straddle on and jump to high bar at age 45 (without a coach). I don't know what you mean by 'there is no point' - I learned a new skill and it felt great and was a big source of satisfaction to me.

To the OP - if you are waiting for the fear to go away, I don't think it ever does. What happens is that, with repeated practice, the skill becomes less scary. Then you will move on to a new skill and feel scared all over again. That's just the way it is with gymnastics.

to clarify my point, i guess. if you're 17 and trying to learn this simple maneuver, and fear is preventing you from attempting it, and your goal is to compete it then there is no point. if your not going to compete and doing it for fun, i don't see the point of asking how to get over the fear after having started gym over a year ago at an age when kids are driving cars and other things that make you think twice. this girl is not 9. you might think i'm wrong and disagree, but i'm being honest. i deal with 17 year old's on a daily basis, both men and women, and their coping and fear management skills are quite above that for a jump to high bar. and i think that at 17 and 1 year in she should have enough life experience to know that you just keep repeating until you're not afraid. you don't think the "coach" already told her that? or something like it??

if you're 45, and in an adult class with no expectations of competing and clearly enjoy the simple satisfaction of learning then more power to you. i guess i don't understand what you mean. were you scared to even attempt the skill? did it require a coach to spot you?? how did you get from point A to point B? and apparently your coping skills are better at 45 than the other at 17, but are you going to go out and compete this at 45?

so then, i'm not being unreasonable. i've been doing this for a long time and have seen (or not seen as the case above) many different scenarios. in my mind as a coach, if you are 17, and you want to compete and are too afraid to jump to the high bar at FIG then i see no point in continuing. learn how to coach. but if your 45 and doing it for exercise and recreational reasons then more power to you. i hope you understand my opinion is nothing personal.:)

I can't believe you are sauin this right now! You don't even know me! And my fear is to actualy pit my feet on the bar, not catching the high bar. Who are you to judge my fears. And for you information, I am competing in gymnastics just not my bar routine for now. And I am already coaching so stop telling me I should coach. I am not trying to make it to the olympics or whatever, I just want to improve so stop saying there is no point in me trying.

i said it was not personal. and the post above is the first that you have clarified that it is the cast to squat on that you are concerned about. that is a different problem and one that can be easily overcome by working on a floor bar or putting mats almost bar level and a bit forward (so you have room to swing your legs and cast) and practice putting one foot on, then the opposite and then both at the same time. over and over again. i suspect you are looking down at the ground or your feet and this is why you are having a problem. you need to look forward and outward and then upward at the high bar once you put your feet on. a coach should have explained this to you by now so that you didn't experience falling on your neck.

Gymnasts of ANY age should not be discouraged by saying there is no point to what they are doing. And fears are valid. Perhaps more so as an older gymast, as we adult know that there is risk to gymnastics and that we can be hurt. Not everyone is an itty bitty super gymnast. Be nice, dunno.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back