Dealing with Late gymnasts and Absence

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
Hi,

Just wondered what your gym's policy on Absence and lateness is for competitive gymnasts, If you have one?

As today was our last class of the month, we made a big deal over 5 gymnasts who had 100% attendance in January 17/17 classes! We have 30 gymnasts in our squad and most missed 1 or 2 at most, one gymnast who wasn't there today has missed 10 sessions!

We had a big discussion over how missing practice can result in not being entered for a competition and certainly not having the skills up to the required standard. We also had a chat about being on time. Over the next month or so we are going to monitor how many minutes late gymnasts are. Some tend to be 15 or 20 minutes late regularly by which time they have missed the warm up, and while they are warming up are missing 15 or 20 minutes of their first apparatus! I don't think parents seem to understand this! Also we are going to point out that as these minutes add up they might miss up to 3 hours of practice which is actually one whole session! They are losing money by being late!

We really try praise those who attend, but obviously need to tell the worst offenders that they need to be 100% committed if they are to remain in the squad.

What is your gyms policy?

Is it the parents who are making them late, or is it gymasts who get themselves to gym?

If it's the parents, then it is that group that needs a pep talk.
If they are late they are still warming up by themselves missing class and missing skills.

The gym I coach at doesn't really have anything in place. Girls who come in late just quickly stretch (sometimes barely at all) and join the group. Others miss practices too much for being at the competitive level. But there is little I feel like I can do so I just let it go. I know the coach of the tumbling team sometimes has them do X number of push ups for every minute late they are, not sure how helpful that is though as many still arrive after practice has started.
At the gym I trained at as a gymnast we were expected to call the gym ahead of time to let them know if we would not be there and why. Not the parents, the gymnasts. And if we got there late we had to make up the warm-ups/conditioning we missed which was frowned upon (at least this is how I'm remembering it, but that was a million years ago, but the coaches certainly did not appreciate it). I think it's really important to make the message clear to parents at team meetings that it is the responsibility of them and their gymnast to be at the gym for every scheduled practice and on time, unless some other circumstance comes up. We had a team packet that explained the whole procedure for being on time, missing practices, what to do about it, the potential consequences, etc. That way it was spelled out, in written form, to the parents and gymnasts.
If a gymnast is notoriously late, maybe you could set up a carpool program with gymnasts who live nearby? That might encourage them to be there on time.
I think praising the girls who come consistently to every practice and on time is a good way to show how important it is as well. And while the gymnasts certainly do need to have some responsibility, the parents really do need to be included in the solution as well.

We dont really have a problem with gymnasts being late. Infact they are often half an hour early. It is very frowned upon to be late for no reason. If children know they are going to be absent or late for a reason they inform us beforehand or text / ring on the day. I can think of just one child who misses alot of sessions but she isn't in a higher group. If she came more she would be. I think we put out the atmosphere that you come on time. I had a child who kept being late on a sat morning - I spoke to mum and asked her to be on time and she was after that. Our girls don't train that many hours and maybe that makes them value them more but really I think they don't want to have to explain to the headcoach why they are late. lol

I would definitely make sure you know who is at fault for the gymnasts being late. Last year, my younger dd was riding in a carpool to the gym. Another mom dropped off, and I would pick up. The mom was notorious for being late (I didn't realize at the time). They were getting there 15 min late everyday. The coach would get frustrated. My dd is shy and quiet by nature, the type that hates to be in any kind of trouble. She would feel very helpless on the ride to the gym, knowing that she was going to be late, possibly get yelled at, and yet there was nothing she could do about it. At first, I had no idea she was getting there late. It was only after the coach took the initiative to call me, that I figured out what had been happening. We then made other travel arrangements. I had a much less stressed child after that!

I realize this may not be the case in every situation, but I guess I'm trying to make a "Don't shoot the messenger" type point!

Good luck with whatever policy you decide to enforce!

My gym understands that sometimes the girls have to be late or occasionally miss practice. Many of our girls are regularly late because our practice starts at 4:00 on school days. Many girls have something of a drive to get to gym - one girl drives for an hour to get here. She is usually late on weekdays, but the coaches understand. If you miss a practice, you can usually make it up on another day. This week, actually, I had a terrible day at school so I missed gymnastics to go home and work out the problem...so I came in the next day, when I usually don't have practice.

Sometimes girls have to leave for choir/band concerts, doctor's appointments, even to support a sibling at their athletic achievements (bonus points if the sibling is a college gymnast). However, there is one girl who is chronically absent, and I don't wonder if she'll be quitting soon...if she can't keep the commitment. Everyone else attends pretty much every practice or makes them up (not counting going on vacation with the family), and comes in no later than 5 minutes late.

Thanks all, Yes, I should have made clear actually that we will be talking to the parents about being late - not the gymnasts. Afterall it often isn't their fault!

Our main problem is actually that we have one or two parents who complain that their daughters aren't achieving the skills they need, and make the us feel that we aren't doing our job properly - however, when you stop and look, it shows that those are the gymnasts who are late to practice or miss sessions!

Anyhow, We will see how this pans out!

Thanks again!
Marie

My gym understands that sometimes the girls have to be late or occasionally miss practice. Many of our girls are regularly late because our practice starts at 4:00 on school days. Many girls have something of a drive to get to gym - one girl drives for an hour to get here. She is usually late on weekdays, but the coaches understand. If you miss a practice, you can usually make it up on another day. This week, actually, I had a terrible day at school so I missed gymnastics to go home and work out the problem...so I came in the next day, when I usually don't have practice.

Sometimes girls have to leave for choir/band concerts, doctor's appointments, even to support a sibling at their athletic achievements (bonus points if the sibling is a college gymnast). However, there is one girl who is chronically absent, and I don't wonder if she'll be quitting soon...if she can't keep the commitment. Everyone else attends pretty much every practice or makes them up (not counting going on vacation with the family), and comes in no later than 5 minutes late.

Thanks for this, we do understand that sometimes gymnasts/parents have genuine reasons why they are late - however some reasons are not acceptable such as once, one gymnast was an hour late because her mum wanted to go shopping before gym! We have had conversations in the past with this parent (and she is a teacher!!) about being on time but so far it hasn't had an effect! She has never been a whole hour late again though!

Unfortunately our gym is so small and busy that we can't ask gymnasts to come in on another day to make up for lost time and I think the persistent offenders wouldn't care anyway - it is these ones who we want to crack down on really - find out whether they are really committed or not!

One question to ask is why are the gymnasts absent so often? Often it has to do with a problem in the gym. Perhaps they are not enjoying classes? Are they scared of a skill? Are they being bullied by other gymnasts? Are they struggling to keep up with their school work? Are they involved in too many extra curricular activities? Do they not have enough strong goals encouraging them to come to gym? Usually there is something going on, and until this is sorted out the problem will continue.

The best way to get gymnasts to attend is not to force them but to make sure they want to attend. Of course there are the obvious solutions.
1. parents pay for all training no mater how much they miss, and no make up classes should be available.
2. Excessive absence may result in not being allowed to do certain competitions, displays and so on.

As for lateness this is another story again. The first thing to do is find out if the start time for training is unrealistic. Do the kids finish school too late to make it there? Is there a problem with parents getting them there on time from work?

One really positive solution is to make the group warm up lots of fun. I know some coaches who do basic tumbling in their warm up and the kids love this so hate to come late and miss out. Or coaches who always try to find a way to make it fun and interesting. These coaches rarely have late gymnasts, because if they are late they miss the fun group warm up and are stuck doing a dull one by themselves. Having a fun warm up has other benefits too. Its puts all the kids in a good and positive mood before hitting the serious training, often resulting in a far better training session.

I know of other coaches who make the warm up grueling or repetitive. These same coaches have gymnasts late every single day.

Thanks I have replied in the quote!

One question to ask is why are the gymnasts absent so often? Often it has to do with a problem in the gym.

Perhaps they are not enjoying classes?
Are they scared of a skill?
Are they being bullied by other gymnasts?
Are they struggling to keep up with their school work?
Are they involved in too many extra curricular activities?
Do they not have enough strong goals encouraging them to come to gym?

These are all really good, valid points, thank you.
Our gym has a big anti bullying policy - 0 tolerance from gymnasts or coaches - if we hear about bullying, gymnasts are suspended from the gym for 2 weeks (a lifetime for a gymnast I'm sure!)

I think in the case of most of our gymnasts it is the fact that parents don't really seem to understand the committment involved. If their daughter says they don't want to go to gym, they let them just have a night off! (more money than sense if you ask me!)

I think the best way to deal with our situation is to write a letter home to ALL parents and gymnasts just outlining how important it is to attend on time and every session, and explain just what will happen if they miss a session for no reason - as you say below, miss competitions, lose money etc!

The best way to get gymnasts to attend is not to force them but to make sure they want to attend. Of course there are the obvious solutions.
1. parents pay for all training no mater how much they miss, and no make up classes should be available.
2. Excessive absence may result in not being allowed to do certain competitions, displays and so on.

I agree with both of these! This is what we do :)

As for lateness this is another story again.
The first thing to do is find out if the start time for training is unrealistic. Do the kids finish school too late to make it there?

Our schools all finish between 3.00 and 3.30 here and extra curricular activities normally finish at 4.30 at the latest. Our sessions begin at 5pm and most of our gymnasts live less than 30 minutes from the gym, so I really can't see the start time being too much of an issue. We used to have 2 squads, one started at 4.30 and the other at 6.00 - even when we started at 6 gymnasts were late!

Is there a problem with parents getting them there on time from work?

Most of our parents organise lift sharing so that those who don't work, or finish early actually bring a whole group of kids to gym together and the other parents take it in turns to pick up at the end of the session.

We have one problem parent though who picks up 3 gymnasts then goes on to get the 4th, and spends too long talking to her mum, resulting in 4 gymnasts being late every time she brings them! We have actually spoken to her about his before but it has had no real affect!

One really positive solution is to make the group warm up lots of fun. I know some coaches who do basic tumbling in their warm up and the kids love this so hate to come late and miss out. Or coaches who always try to find a way to make it fun and interesting. These coaches rarely have late gymnasts, because if they are late they miss the fun group warm up and are stuck doing a dull one by themselves. Having a fun warm up has other benefits too. Its puts all the kids in a good and positive mood before hitting the serious training, often resulting in a far better training session.

I know of other coaches who make the warm up grueling or repetitive. These same coaches have gymnasts late every single day.

I agree with this too, we have recently changed our warm up and put some interesting stretches in it which are a challenge to the gymnasts. We are also working towards a 'fitness' badge which has some of these stretches on, so being on time means they can work towards getting a certificate and badge.

Over the years coaches have changed their opinions on being late. I remember I used to always get really annoyed with the people who were late, because they missed out on warmup and our conditioning, and never had to make it all up. Another gym I went to had no tolerance for that. For our warmups we had lists for what to do, so if they came in late they'd have to do that list and therefore would be late and behind on the list. It was motivation for the gymnasts to be on time, and be able to do it with the group and so forth. I really think it's unnaceptable to be late. A few times, yeah it's fine, but you really should have a commitment.

One gym I know of gives the girls the choice of doing their conditioning before or after practice. The girls can arrive at 5 pm and do their hour of conditioning, then practice starts at 6. Or, if they don't arrive until 6 pm, then they stay for an hour after practice for their conditioning. That system seems to provide flexibility of schedule but also consequences for being late (having to stay late).

I do rec tumbling, so I guess its a little different than if I was on a competition team. Unfortunately there are some people who are late alot more than they should be. Even though we aren't preparing for competitions as a team or anything, it still bothers my coach just because its disrespectful and disruptive. So if you come in late, you stay late. Since we typically do conditioning at the end, you tend to do more conditioning and less tumbling if you come late. It actually works well for all of us, because those of us who show up on time, and care about getting better, can stay and do the extra conditioning with them if we want, and sometimes we do because it helps us get better. But the ones who don't care as much and come late...its more of a punishment to them. I guess its gotten a little better since she started doing that, but still it seems like its always the same people.....

Our main problem is actually that we have one or two parents who complain that their daughters aren't achieving the skills they need, and make the us feel that we aren't doing our job properly - however, when you stop and look, it shows that those are the gymnasts who are late to practice or miss sessions!

Marie

One gymnast I coach wasnt progressing and was missing classes. His mother was at times difficult. I made sure I kept a note of the non attendances and wrote them down. At the end of the year when he did not pass to the next level the mother was complaining big time. I whipped my peice of paper out and quoted the figures of non attendance. This ensured that mother and gymnast understood the implications of poor attendance. This year attendance has been close to 100% and gymnast has progressed to the next level.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments - You've been really helpful!
I went back to the other head coach with some of your ideas but we decided the best course of action for now was to just write a letter to all parents laying down the law!
That went out last night, so we will see what effect it has, if any, on Thursday when we are next training.

We actually only had 5 late gymnasts last night after giving the gymnasts a good talking to on Saturday (we didn't want to lay all the blame on them but they obviously passed the message on to their parents!) Out of those who were late last night - 1 comes late as she has school committments which we know about, 3 were sisters who have to travel quite a distance and not sure about the other one! But I guess out of 30 gymnasts, that isn't too bad, and we did make a point of starting bang on 5pm!

I think they get off lightly! When I did Ballet, if we were even 1 minute late we didn't get in as the door was locked and nobody came to open it until 10 mins before the next class was about to start!

Thanks again, I'll let you all know whether our letter made any difference on Thursday!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back