WAG Deduction for missing element - compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I should expect about a 1.2 for spotted fly away on 6 also?
First level 6 meet in 1.5 weeks! She scored out of 5 this summer ( was still spotted on it but had tons of time) broke her wrist 2 weeks after score out. Most skills are back but she still needs that spot on flyaway. bars overall seems to be the hardest recovery so I don't have much in the way of expectations for her bars at these first few meets anyway, but just wondering how bad that spot would be.
Could she just do an underswing dismount from the high bar? ... it SHOULD be an A and a flyaway is not REQUIRED... just a minimum of an A dismount. It would give her more time to work on the flyaway and not have to need the spot.

No I understand what you are saying. Coach wouldn't actually touch her, just be there, don't know if that matters?! and it did vary a lot. I just looked up her scores: 8.9 9.3 (ran but coach on floor) , 8.675. 9.275 ( only time she did it fully with no coach on floor), 8.85, 9.25, 8.475, 9.225. 8.6
It isn't a spot if she was not touched, even if the coach was on the floor (that is allowed in Compulsories).

Reactions: sce
It isn't a spot if she was not touched, even if the coach was on the floor (that is allowed in Compulsories).
I must say, I found level 5 to be the most interesting in terms of spotting and assisting with mental stuff...at all the other meets prior to this level, I had never seen such an array of coaches lurking nearby like guard dogs on every apparatus...it made me truly realize that level 5 ups it a notch...I had never seen coaches on the floor before, for ex, at the end of the floor routine....it honestly did not excite me thinking this is what I get to look forward to in the future in terms of degrees of difficulty...:eek:

Could she just do an underswing dismount from the high bar? ... it SHOULD be an A and a flyaway is not REQUIRED... just a minimum of an A dismount. It would give her more time to work on the flyaway and not have to need the spot.

Yes, I feel sure she could do that and I know her coach has thought about it as an option b/c back in the summer right after score out her coach mentioned to me that if she didnt get the hang of fly away she could do the underswing thing. Im not sure why they are not looking at doing that for this meet but DD has not mentioned it at all and although she doesnt always tell me a ton of info, I think she could mention changing to a whole diff dismount. Maybe its just b/c coach feels she is really close now?! In fact last night DD was excited in the car she said "after my bar dismount I thought wait, it didnt feel like coach touched me at all and then my coach said "i didnt even really touch you at all that time". :)

Oh and she is doing it as a "pike". I guess thats the right term?! LOL her body just didnt like the tuck and coach switched to a pike position (straight legs) and she is much more comfortable with that one. Has anyone else's DD done this ( or have you seen at a meet) ?

This confuses me. Why have them then? I must be clueless (wouldn't be the first time with this sport, and definitely won't be the last!)...I thought the in house meets were for the parents to watch...?

At our in house meets, it's like Z2akids describes. It's for the GYMNASTS to focus on performing their routines and for the coaches to get feedback. For our first one, they definitely don't want parents watching. It distracts the gymnasts. We ARE allowed to watch practice whenever we want, so we are incredibly lucky in that aspect, but there are still always parents who are indignant to the point of being rude to the coaches about not being allowed to watch the first practice meet....

We also have the philosophy of "if the gymnast cannot perform the element safely and satisfactory, she scratches that event". Period. No flyaway on bars, you don't compete bars in any meet until it's ready. No spotting during competitions, ever. We are not some hard nosed elite gym who compete down or anything, but our gymnasts are never sent out there to be embarrassed. DD has only competed two seasons, but in those two seasons we have had several compulsory kids who didn't compete certain events, some for a couple of meets, some almost all season. We had one girl last year who had a mental block on flyaways and didn't compete bars until the last 2 meets of the season. Another girl had something missing on bars and something missing on beam so for the first 2 meets she competed only 2 events, then got ready to compete beam and only scratched bars for the next couple of meets, then was able to compete all 4 and qualify for Sectionals. :)
Another gym in town spots their athletes (during meets) on whatever needed to get them to compete up a level. We kinda joke about it because it's completely different from our philosophy, but for some kids clearly that works and is what is needed so whatever makes the kid/parent happy..!

Oh and she is doing it as a "pike". I guess thats the right term?! LOL her body just didnt like the tuck and coach switched to a pike position (straight legs) and she is much more comfortable with that one. Has anyone else's DD done this ( or have you seen at a meet) ?

My DD did a layout flyaway for L5, but it wasn't pretty, so it ended up being semi-piked. A tuck, pike, or layout is acceptable for L5/6.

Was there anything that helped you get over your block? I talked to DD's coach yesterday and she reassured me it was normal and even she went through it as a gymnast. Coach said she could work around the block and everything would be fine, in time.

Is there anything I can say/do that would support my DD? I want don't want to make her feel stressed or any pressure.
It really helped me to go back the basics. I worked on getting my standing BHS stronger and then I became more confident in it with the ROBHS. I still struggle with some fear with back tumbling but nothing compared to the mental block I used to have! As far as anything you can say or do, I would just let your daughter know you're there for her and that she will conquer her mental block. I hope your daughter conquers her mental block soon!

This confuses me. Why have them then? I must be clueless (wouldn't be the first time with this sport, and definitely won't be the last!)...I thought the in house meets were for the parents to watch...?
No, at many gyms in house meets are to see how prepared the gymnasts are for the season. Gives a gauge to coaches on where to focus in cleaning up routines etc. Also, gives the girls a dry run before the first meet.

i kinda always thought having parents there to simulate the feel of a real meet was an important part of its purpose; to prepare them for the real thing and to evaluate how they actually perform under pressure.

We also have the philosophy of "if the gymnast cannot perform the element safely and satisfactory, she scratches that event". Period. No flyaway on bars, you don't compete bars in any meet until it's ready. No spotting during competitions, ever. We are not some hard nosed elite gym who compete down or anything
This is our gym, except the girls do not scratch any event. Missing one skill on one event, they don't compete at all until they have it, or they move down to the previous level. More of the former, but some of the latter.

This is our gym, except the girls do not scratch any event. Missing one skill on one event, they don't compete at all until they have it, or they move down to the previous level. More of the former, but some of the latter.
Wow!

Wow! Our coaches don't spot (exception bars, but not dismounts, release moves) either, but they do allow the girls to compete 3 out of 4 events.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back