WAG Deduction for missing element - compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD had the mental thing with BHS BHS in level 4. She would do two but only with a spot and not running into it, would only hurdle. Not sure the deduction, most meets it didn't seem to bad, even some 9.2 and 9.3 ( rest of routine must have been really good) even got a 1st place on floor at a meet! (that shocked me) But they really dinged her at state , like an 8.6 or something.

This confuses me. Earlier in the thread someone said that with a spot your starting score, before any deductions, would be lower than your DDs ending score. I'm NOT calling you a liar, just highlighting how different scoring can be from region to region, even meet to meet. The L5s on my DDs team saw 7s on routines without falls or missing elements, and I don't think they saw a 9.3 on anything the entire season. The whole point of the COP is to regulate scoring across the board, but this really seems to be a fail. This is a common thing too, not calling you out at all...your post just popped it back into my head.

Reactions: sce
Aging Hippie.....just wondering if parents are permitted to attend in-house meets at your gym. parents are not allowed in the gym for in-house meets at dd gym.

This confuses me. Earlier in the thread someone said that with a spot your starting score, before any deductions, would be lower than your DDs ending score. I'm NOT calling you a liar, just highlighting how different scoring can be from region to region, even meet to meet. The L5s on my DDs team saw 7s on routines without falls or missing elements, and I don't think they saw a 9.3 on anything the entire season. The whole point of the COP is to regulate scoring across the board, but this really seems to be a fail. This is a common thing too, not calling you out at all...your post just popped it back into my head.

No I understand what you are saying. Coach wouldn't actually touch her, just be there, don't know if that matters?! and it did vary a lot. I just looked up her scores: 8.9 9.3 (ran but coach on floor) , 8.675. 9.275 ( only time she did it fully with no coach on floor), 8.85, 9.25, 8.475, 9.225. 8.6

L5 was brutal in terms of scoring for many kids on our team even with the required elements...However, we had a girl on bars not do a flyaway even at the start of L6 and she scored fine, so not sure what the skill was that took her place (I really don't pay enough attention), but there was one-- she did not get a huge deduction.

Even knowing the deduction for a missing element though does not give the true picture. On floor my DD had a mental block and did not do her BT in the middle of L5 and scores went from before and after 8.8-9.1 down to a 6.5. they really ding them. But if the kids have had so little time to learn the skill, then they should go in focused on the other events knowing that they cant be expected to do that skill yet, and hopefully by the end of the season, they will be rocking it!

There's no deduction for what this parent described (doing the tumbling passes unspotted from a hurdle). I suppose the text may say something like running steps (a number is no longer specified) so it could maybe be taken as a text error but most likely it might just lead to an amplitude deduction. If the coach is just on the floor that is no deduction in compulsories.

I actually saw a L5 floor routine minus the back tuck score in the mid 7's! The rest of the girls routine was really clean though. I emphasize with that girl, her coach had to be on the floor and be ready to spot her on the ROBHS if necessary I figure she must have been struggling a mental block or something with back tumbling. I definitely understand all to well mental blocks on back tumbling :mad:

Was there anything that helped you get over your block? I talked to DD's coach yesterday and she reassured me it was normal and even she went through it as a gymnast. Coach said she could work around the block and everything would be fine, in time.

Is there anything I can say/do that would support my DD? I want don't want to make her feel stressed or any pressure.

There's no deduction for what this parent described (doing the tumbling passes unspotted from a hurdle). I suppose the text may say something like running steps (a number is no longer specified) so it could maybe be taken as a text error but most likely it might just lead to an amplitude deduction. If the coach is just on the floor that is no deduction in compulsories.

Thanks for explaining! I always wondered how they were scoring it!

Also, to answer the original thread:

1. I would stop stressing about it and just remind your daughter that it will come when it comes and if not there is always a possibility of competing level 5 later.

2. Realize they most likely have a good reason. I would say most likely the tap swing techniques and overall bars was not strong enough to start the flyaway. If this is the case, then starting the flyaway would have only lead to no flyaway and no other good bars skills, or a flyaway that needs major work anyway. So they would be worse off.

Bars takes a lot of time...if they were not there yet then it will just take time to improve to the point where they have the level 5 routine.

I understand that. From her first post I misunderstood their to be an actual spot.

I understand that. From her first post I misunderstood their to be an actual spot.
Probably my fault! Sorry, She stood right there, but didn't actually touch her. I used the word spot b/c I thought that counted as spot but I guess not?!

Usually a "spot" implies actually touching, I sometimes use the word "mental spot" to describe when the coach stands nearby but doesn't touch them, and for this there is generally no deduction (although at optionals coach cannot be on floor).

This confuses me. Why have them then? I must be clueless (wouldn't be the first time with this sport, and definitely won't be the last!)...I thought the in house meets were for the parents to watch...?
At our gym it's a chance for the girls to get in front of the judges before the meet season starts and again before States. They get constructive feedback on their routines and learn about areas they need to work on.

This confuses me. Why have them then? I must be clueless (wouldn't be the first time with this sport, and definitely won't be the last!)...I thought the in house meets were for the parents to watch...?

This confuses me too. Our girls are starting off with an intrasquad, and they want all the compulsories to attend, and as many people as possible. I'm not sure if we're going to be judged at it or not.

For compulsory routines with missing elements, I'm mostly seeing 6's. The case with these girls seems to be that they are all-around not super tight, so the missing element just adds to it. So it's more complicated than just not having the one skill.

So I should expect about a 1.2 for spotted fly away on 6 also?
First level 6 meet in 1.5 weeks! She scored out of 5 this summer ( was still spotted on it but had tons of time) broke her wrist 2 weeks after score out. Most skills are back but she still needs that spot on flyaway. bars overall seems to be the hardest recovery so I don't have much in the way of expectations for her bars at these first few meets anyway, but just wondering how bad that spot would be.

I want to say that the flyaway does not need to be competed in L6, just a dismount minimum of A. Theoretically, the new L4 dismount could be performed - based on what I have read.

Of course, that's just possibilities, not any particular coach's plan for any particular gymmie.

DD's coaches would (and has) scratch a girl who was not able to safely perform the required compulsory skills. They do not spit in competition. I honestly have not paid close attention to the scores of girls from other gyms who do get a spot at meets. I cannot recall ever seeing one on the podium. I think usually a girl who cannot safely perform a skill at a level likely is not perfect on the rest of the routine. (Unless she cant perform the skill due to a fear after having it) For example part of the reason she may not be ready for the flyaway is because her tap swings need to be improved. Therefore, while she would only get the 1.2 for the missing skill, she is likely also being deducted for the other deficiencies in the routine. But, it will come with time.

As for intrasquad, our parents definitely attend. Judges come in and give the coaches the scores as well as some advice to the girls. Neither the parents, nor the girls, receive ths scores. It is an opportunity for the coaches to get early feedback on what they need to work on with the team and specific girls.

Several of our 9 yo L5 girls didn't do their flyaway dismount on bars because of fear issues last year and still medaled quite often because of the small field for L5 in Ontario. Many gyms skip it because it's "so hard" and L6 bars requirements are easier. Most of the time it was just the 7 girls we had and one or two others from a different gym at any meet. Our gym does not avoid hard levels and the girls stuck it out and many are repeating this year because their bars weren't good enough.

I am pretty sure the answer to this is no, but is there a substitution for the flyaway in level 5? How are girls who are scoring well doing in its place?

At our gym it's a chance for the girls to get in front of the judges before the meet season starts and again before States. They get constructive feedback on their routines and learn about areas they need to work on.
Yep that is us.

We have a parents day for the parents to watch and the coaches review what the routine should look like, what the judges are working on, what they are doing for conditioning and why, as well as what they are uptraining.

The mock meet (in house) is for the coaches and kids, to baseline them and hear directly from the coaches what they are looking for, what they do well and what needs work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back