Deduction for "not rotating fast enough" in a double back? huh?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Recently we had a judge come in and take a look at our upper level girls. One of our L8 girls competes a double back off bars, and the judge said she would get deducted on the double back for dynamics because she didn't rotate fast enough.

My question: why deduct for slow rotation?

I think it takes a much better gymnast to perform a slow, floaty double back (since it must be higher) than to perform a fast one. It seems to me that the only deductions that SHOULD be taken for slow rotation are the landing deductions resulting from underrotation. In short, if she sticks it, she rotated fast enough by definition.

Can somebody help me make sense of this deduction?

The judge probably wants to see more extension before the landing...double-kick open-land. That's the only thing I can think of.

I like to see a dismount finish flipping above or at the height of the high bar. So a slow rotation could mean the dismount is still rotating under the level of the high bar. And ditto what JBS said. It's sort of the same error - if the dismount is still rotating under the high bar, it's hard to open up and not land bent over.

A double flyaway is supposed to float up, flip fast and stretch to land...just like on floor. If the flipping action is distributed throughout the skill, it is less dynamic.

thats very odd. maybe if you can get her to tap her swing harder she can still perform it the same it will just look as if she has more 'dynamics'.
thats strange though, if she's landed under roatated i cant see a problem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back