WAG Deduction for spotting L9 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What do you mean by spotting? Having the coach just standing there (maybe closer than normal), nothing. Touching the gymnast is a different story though...would have to go look that up.

I've seen coaches physically spotting gymnasts in the much lower lower levels (young compulsory) but never in Level 9. I don't know the answer either but I guess it would be a substantial deduction because it would indicate the gymnast does not have the skill. I would guess there would be a deduction for spotting (perhaps .5) and then the loss of element like it was never performed.

I found this in the USAG website.

"III. SPOTTING REGULATIONS

A. If the coach touches and assists the gymnast during an element:
1. Each judge deducts 0.50 for the “spot”.
2. If the gymnast falls after the “spot”, an additional 0.50 deduction is taken for the fall.
3. Value-Part credit, as well as Special Requirement and/or Bonus credit, if applicable, is NOT awarded.
4. If the spot occurs on the dismount element, even though it receives no Value-Part credit, do not deduct 0.30 from the Start Value for no dismount.

B. If the coach spots the gymnast upon landing of the dismount:
2. If the gymnast falls after the spot, deduct only 0.50. Do not deduct for both the “spot” and the fall.
3. Award Value-Part and Special Requirement credit. No Bonus is awarded.

C. If the coach inadvertently touches the gymnast without assisting:
2. Value-Part credit is awarded.
3. Special Requirement credit is awarded, if applicable.
4. Bonus is NOT awarded due to the spotting deduction.

D. If the coach catches a falling gymnast, DO NOT deduct for the spot; deduct 0.50 for the fall ONLY.

E. There is no penalty if the gymnast inadvertently touches the coach.

F. The coach may approach the beam to spot a particular element, but may not remain there for the entire exercise. • The Chief Judge takes a 0.10 deduction from the average score if the coach remains next to the beam throughout the exercise.

Revised Sept. 2014 145 • If the second attempt results in a successfully performed mount, Connection Value Bonus and/or “D/E” Bonus could be awarded, if applicable."

So it is .5 for the spot plus the loss of value credit of the element.

So does "spotting" always involve touching (whether inadvertent or intentional)? If a coach is just standing near by (on any apparatus), can we assume no deduction?

So does "spotting" always involve touching (whether inadvertent or intentional)? If a coach is just standing near by (on any apparatus), can we assume no deduction?
For optionals, there are more rules than "just can't touch". Coach cannot stand next to the beam or between the bars for the entire exercise, but can step in for individual elements. Coach cannot go on floor, except to step in to move a mat or remove an object. Deduction is 0.1 for beam and bars, 0.5 for floor if done.

Spotting is always -.5 and it means touching the gymnast. Then there is the judgement call of did the coach just touch the gymnast, or did the coach practically do the skill for the gymnast? In optionals, spotting has more deductions, because they lose their Special Requirement credit, they lose the value part credit and there is no bonus awarded in a connection with a spot. In vault, a spot on any part except the landing voids the vault (except in level 8).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back